MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kay may bypass civil service, create post

By Jack Encarnacao
The Patriot Ledger
Posted Nov 22, 2008 @ 02:15 AM

WEYMOUTH -

Weymouth Mayor Sue Kay is considering filling the recently-vacated police chief position with a candidate from outside of the department - possibly by creating a new police commissioner outside of the civil service system.
"I'm going to be looking at several options," Kay said. "I want to make sure it's going to be a good fit for the town and the department."
James Thomas, the chief for the past four years, resigned two weeks ago amid a town investigation of allegations that he, among other things, groped female members of the department and once drove a cruiser while intoxicated.
No charges were filed against Thomas, who has retired.
Capt. Brian Callahan, who has been serving as acting chief since Thomas was placed on leave in July, has agreed to stay on in that position until Kay appoints a new head of the department.
Callahan, who declined to comment, met with Kay this week to discuss the arrangement.
"I'm very confident in the abilities of the interim chief," Kay said.
Kay said she is seeking to appoint a new chief who will not be appointed under the state civil service process. Throughout the Thomas investigation, she said that she felt the chief's protection under civil service-related laws made a lengthy, costly legal fight more likely if she moved to discipline him.
"Civil service chiefs are, in my opinion, heavily protected," Kay said. "I think I would have more options in the direction of the department if I have a chief outside of civil service."
Kay said she is currently studying towns where police chiefs are not in civil service, to get an idea how those departments are structured. Kay plans to meet soon with the police chief in Braintree, where she previously worked as executive secretary, who is not a civil service chief.
Kay said she will be "sensitive" to the ambitions of longstanding members of the police department who have planned to go for the chief's job when it opened.
The new chief would have a personal service contract with the town, that would be negotiated with the mayor.
While Kay said she will not "rush into" a decision on the structure of the chief's position, she wants to decide on it before civil service issues another exam for chief candidates, which is expected around May. "I don't want the people who would take the test to run out studying if we're not going to have it," she said.

http://www.patriotledger.com/homepa...-considers-options-for-hiring-new-police-boss

Comments (11)
Thank you for the abuse report. We will review the report and take appropriate action.

radiodave
1 day ago

I hear Cracker's Crowley is only a phone call away in Squantum

1 - 1 of 1 Posts