Westfield police officer killed in crash | Page 2 | MassCops

Westfield police officer killed in crash

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by LGriffin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

RIP. Thoughts and prayers to his family and the Westfield PD.

2. Nightstalker

Nightstalker MassCops Member

RIP Officer!

3. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

I had the pleasure of going through a Westfield Community Police class that was several sessions long, from my experience they seemed like a very professional dept and it gave me a very positive outlook towards police work. Sorry for your loss WPD and his family, RIP Officer

LGriffin likes this.
  4. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Rest in peace, brother. My thoughts and prayers with you, your family, friends and comrades.

5. ArchAngel2

ArchAngel2 Grand Admin Commander

6. JMody

JMody Special...

Requiscat in pace brother.

7. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Rest in peace

8. MARINECOP

MARINECOP MassCops Member

RIP. Always sad to see a warrior go out this way.

9. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Rest in Peace. Prayers for his family and friends.

10. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Rest In Peace Brother. Thoughts and Prayers to his work and home family.

11. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

RIP Officer Torres. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

12. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Westfield police officer Jose Torres wore badge with honor

Westfield Patrolman Jose Torres had encountered danger many times during his 27 years on the city’s police force. He was decorated twice by the department for his heroism – once in 1996 for preventing a man from attempting suicide from a fire escape and again in 2000 when he deployed a stringer spike that stopped a speeding vehicle just seconds before it made contact.

But early last Thursday morning, there was nothing to suggest imminent danger when the 53-year-old husband and father of two reported for a traffic duty assignment at a construction project site on Pontoosic Road.

It was to be his last assignment.

Torres was hit by a dump truck around 7:30 a.m. while directing traffic in the vicinity of 44 Pontoosic Road, according to Capt. Hippolito Nunez. He was stabilized at the scene and taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died about two hours later, Nunez said.

Torres was described by Mayor Daniel M. Knapik as an “ambassador for the Westfield Police Department,” and by Nunez as someone with a passion to help others.
    http://www.masslive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/07/editorial_officer_jose_torres.html

13. corsair

corsair Guest

RIP Officer Jose Torres

14. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Thanks for posting Q5

15. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Wake: The funeral home lot may not be able to handle many vehicles but there's a Stop&Shop and Big Y on either side within easy walking distance.

16. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

This is from the Westfield State PD.

Funeral Arrangements for Officer Jose Torres

Monday, July 30, 2012
    The wake will be from 2PM to 8PM at Firtion Adams. Viewing for all police officers will begin at 2PM and civilian guest are asked to come after 2:45PM.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012
    The funeral service will be held at 11:00 am at Westfield State University in the Paranzo Hall, Dever Auditorium. Western Ave will be closed to all traffic at 9:00 am from Lloyd’s Hill Road to Laura Drive and will reopen upon the conclusion of the service.

All guests are asked to go directly to Westfield State University for the funeral service. Only family, invited guest and Westfield police officers and employees will be allowed at the funeral home.
    Upon completion of the service the burial service will be held at Pine Hill Cemetery (back side off of King Street Ext.) Parking will not be allowed on King Street Ext. Parking will be allowed on all lower streets away from the upper campus.

An after service gathering will be held at the Sons of Erin on Williams Street following the burial service.

All civilians who are attending the service are asked to park at the commuter lot of Westfield State University. Handicapped guest may park on campus behind Parenzo Hall. All out of city police personnel are asked to park at the south lot of Westfield State University located across from Juniper Park School just west of Westfield State University. Police officers attending the service are asked to use route 20 west also known as Franklin St and Russell Road to Bates Road and back down to south lot on Western Ave. The staging area for the media will be on Western Circle across the entrance to Parenzo Hall.

The Command Center will be staged at the Juniper Park School and The Massachusetts State Police will be providing direction during the event.

There will be shuttle buses provided to Dever Auditorium from the South and Commuter Lots.

17. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Attended the wake today....very sad. RIP Officer Torres

18. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

This was considered an off-duty death, so Jose's family will need our financial support.
    A Memorial Fund has been established in honor of fallen Officer Jose Torres.

Donations can be made to:
    Jose Torres Memorial Fund
    c/o United Bank
    10 Elm Street
    Westfield, MA 01085

Thank you for your support.

19. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

in my eyes he was on duty!

LGriffin likes this.
  20. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I wholeheartedly agree.

21. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

Attended services today, calling of the orders etc. a bit off, but whats important is the numbers that showed. A little rain delay with the minor cruisers mishap(OOPS), but was a great day in all. Pipers did an awsome job, not sure what affiliation or band. Was a good tribute to what I heard many times was a great guy.

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I don't want to deter anyone from contributing, but this was most definitely an on-duty death. Officer Torres is listed on the ODMP website, which is one of the criteria for federal and state LOD death benefits to kick in;

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21341-police-officer-jose-torres

Weymouth PD Officer Michael Davey was killed under identical circumstances; his death was ruled line-of-duty, with his family receiving full LOD death benefits;

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20048-police-officer-michael-paul-davey

Johnny Law, mtc and USMCMP5811 like this.
  23. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I agree and don't see this decision by the city standing for too long. It must have been made by some know-nothing bureaucrat.

24. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

The minute that he became invoved in any police action he is on duty, no matter what some pencil pushing, insensitive, moronic, liberal, douchebag , bureaucratic moron decides to say less than 24 hrs. after the death of the Police Officer. RIP PO Torres.

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Thankfully, it's not the city's decision to grant LOD benefits (at least the big ones), that's up to the state and feds. The state will pay $100K, the feds $100K, and whatever the Hundred Club decides to kick-in.

USMCMP5811 and cc3915 like this.