Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently applied to the West Springfield Special Police. I was wondering if any other board members have applied or have served with the unit, and what I might expect in the process. Any info. you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
portable81,

I went to the Reserve academy with a bunch of Westside Specials. From what I can remember them telling me back in 1995/96 you do have police powers you do ride in cruisers and answer calls wether or not they are priority or just simple calls or you ride with a F/T officer I cant quite remember. I do remember on of the requirements being you had to work the BIg E. Again wether or not you get paid for any of this I don't know anymore. The guys I went to the academy with seemed to like the program. My suggestion to you to contact the Westside PD and ask to speak to to someone all about the WPD Special Police program.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I remember being at the Big E a few years back, and noticing two WS Specials standing in a corner watching this woman who had an obvious birth defect on her neck which looked like a big red splotch. I can image this woman must have it tough already being looked at all the time because of it, but these two MENSA candidates walk up to her, ask her to speak to them outside, and then begin asking her if the mark is from abuse by anyone. Nice.

When I went through the R/I academy there were 5 WS Specials in the class, and boy were they special, with the exception of one with a good head on his shoulders. I'm not talking like they were new to the field and were ill informed of the career, these guys were the kind youd expect to ask if they could carry hand grenades on thier duty belt.

I say that stuff not to smear this agency, but to give anyone interested in working with them a heads up that there is a small number that seem a little off-balance. I have run into a bunch of them at the Big E that seemed really squared away though, and I hope those are the ones riding around responding to calls.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mikey,

I think every special agency has the same problem. I remember the people I went through with were squared away too most had prior military and were trying to get on F/T and using the specials as a tool for that.

Portable,

Another Idea if WSPD dosent work out is to check out some of the towns around WS like Westfield, Agawam Southwick southampton Easthampton to see if the have specials or P/T and see if they are willing to sponsor you for the RI academy if you don't already have it. any other questions feel fee to PM me

·
Registered
447 Posts
West Springfield Special Police

Have arrest powers

Work the street with full time PO's and alone (2 SPO's)

Get paid to work road details (WSPD Road Detail Rate)

MUST work the Big E ( http://www.thebige.com/ ). You get paid but not a road detail rate. It is a rate the City and the Eastern States Exposition has agreed upon.

Must attend in-service classes/meeting.

My feeling is if you are looking at gaining a lot of experience go with the Springfield Park Rangers. From what I have seen the Park Rangers make more arrests, get more court time and are offered more training.

http://pages.map.com/spranger/

Former Park rangers are Secret Service Agents, CT State Police Troopers, Homeland Security department heads, CT municiple Police Officer and more.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. folks. I just got a letter in the mail inviting me to an interview. Hopefully all goes well. I'm currently an Auxiliary Officer in CT. We stick to parades and road races . . . and it's getting kind of dull. No real police powers, training lacks, and all volunteer. I figured Westside could give me the experience I'm looking for. Hopefully the interview goes well. I'll keep you guys informed. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
If you want to find a good place to work in Wmass u r better off with the small hill towns. They hire p/t and you are treated like a f/t officer you can get a shitload of hours and do whatever u want I spent 4yrs doing it. I got the academy and more experience. But the cape was a calling, lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Macop,

I live in Agawam. Could you give me a few idea's of where part-timers hit the road like the regulars? It would have to be non-civil service I guess, right? Where did you work? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hadley, Sunderland, Deerfield, Leverett, Shutesbury, Southwick, Huntington, Cummington, Hampden, Monson just to name a few.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Macop,

I live in Agawam. Could you give me a few idea's of where part-timers hit the road like the regulars? It would have to be non-civil service I guess, right? Where did you work? Thanks for the help.
Portable, a majority of the towns in your area are non-civil serivce. Take it from me, not too far from you, and here PT'ers work just like FT'ers..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Portatble,

if you live in Agawam, check out Hunnington PD. I can remember always seeing the P/T's out doing some work so it seemed they kept busy.( but any of the hill towns could be a good gig to if you are trying to get some experience. Like I said before to not sure if the have any openings or still have them but Easthampton I knows in the past hired P/T. You could also follow MCOA advise and try the towns north of you on INT 91 like Deerfield, Sunderland etc. Also depending on how far north you really want to travel and depending on radius rule you could try some other towns like Conway,Bernardston,Erving,Granby I think Ludlow still might hire P/T too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts