Webster Man Accused of Impersonating Officer | MassCops

Webster Man Accused of Impersonating Officer

Discussion in 'Whacker Central' started by visible25, Feb 23, 2018.

1. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Maybe it belongs in the news forum, but I figured it could work here too. What a headache...

WEBSTER – A local man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to flashing blue police lights from a Chevrolet Impala as he drove through downtown traffic.

Aaron J. Bates, 34, of 7 Wellington St., Apt. 3, was summoned to Dudley District Court on charges of impersonating a police officer and disturbing the peace. A pretrial hearing was scheduled for April 3.

The alleged impersonation occurred around 3:30 p.m. Jan. 5. Gregory Lynskey, director of the Southern Worcester County Communications Center, said he saw the car maneuver through traffic on South Main Street, according to the police report.

Officer Robert Ela stopped the driver and noticed that the car’s upper windshield had “clear lights similar to that of my own patrol vehicle.”

Mr. Bates denied using the blue lights to get through traffic. But when the officer asked Mr. Bates’ passenger, Melissa Milligan, why the car had blue lights, Ms. Milligan called Mr. Bates a police enthusiast. Mr. Bates then confirmed his affinity for the police and said he thought that the lights were cool.

The car also featured symbols that police often use to identify their vehicles, including a police interceptor sticker attached to the front license plate, and “a thin blue line” sticker affixed to the back.

Police also noted that Mr. Bates’ vehicle carried tools and equipment that police officers often use.

Police impounded the lights and control panel and sent Mr. Bates and Ms. Milligan on their way.

But later that day, police said, Mr. Bates called the station and told authorities they needed to return his lower-mounted light that had been in the windshield. Mr. Bates told police it was just a white light. He claimed to have spoken to state police.

But Webster police told Mr. Bates he was incorrect. Webster police also use front-facing white lights with their blue lights, the report said.

Police said they called Mr. Bates’ probation officer. He is on probation for armed and unarmed robbery, the report said.

In addition, police requested suspension of Mr. Bates’ driver’s license for posing an immediate threat, the report said.

Webster man accused of impersonating police officer

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I don’t see the elements of impersonating a police officer anywhere here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

“...called his Probation Officer...” An affinity for the police..? Bwahahahaha!

PGH3477 likes this.
  4. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

I don't know... if you take the totality of his actions.
    1, Chevrolet Impala used by some departments
    2, "Police interceptor" sticker attached to the front license plate
    3, flashing blue police lights
    4, vehicle carried tools and equipment that police officers often use

Chap. 268 Section 33. Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be a justice of the peace, notary public, sheriff, deputy sheriff, medical examiner, associate medical examiner, constable, police officer, probation officer, or examiner, investigator or other officer appointed by the registrar of motor vehicles, or inspector, investigator or examiner of the department of public utilities or the department of telecommunications and cable, or investigator or other officer of the alcoholic beverages control commission, or investigator or other official of the bureau of special investigations, or examiner, investigator or other officer of the department of revenue, and acts as such or requires a person to aid or assist him in a matter pertaining to the duty of such officer, shall be punished by a fine of not more than four hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year.

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

There was a case law that we had in the academy and our instructor said he had to do an overt act, that someone had to believe he was police or say that he was a police officer to someone and commit some act. Impersonation requires an affirmative action, claim or request in a circumstance or situation where someone might believe you are that official. At best you got 90-7E and neg op if he used them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Goose likes this.
  6. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I'm pretty sure there are some drug rips out there that will conform to the statute if not the Hobbs Act.

Goose and CCCSD like this.
  7. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Apples and oranges. This guy was merely spotted at a traffic light got pulled over and asked about the lights. Said he was a popo afectionado. Doesn’t meet the threshold

8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

You wouldn't Yimmy............You don't have ADA glasses on!:p
    Let the Courts and God judge the freak!

CCCSD likes this.
  9. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Screw em, he’s on probation and has blue lights in his car. Charge his with the criminal charge, the ADA’s will amend it depending on what their report has it in. At worst, it will show up as a dismissed on his record. With shit like this, with guys that are borderline impersonating, they will usually try for it, and judges will usually go for it. If they don’t, you can always issue the 305$ gig latter. What they teach you in the academy, and what flies in the courts are two different things.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    DNorth and CCCSD like this.
  10. RodneyFarva

Named citizen witness of the incident. gives us a little more nut than a chap 90 viol.
    Gregory Lynskey, director of the Southern Worcester County Communications Center, said he saw the car maneuver through traffic on South Main Street, according to the police report.

CCCSD likes this.
  11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Ok so you may have negligent operation !

RodneyFarva likes this.
  12. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I've seen tow trucks blow air horns and clear intersections with flashing white lights like they are a fire truck. Never once did I think they were impersonating anything.

RodneyFarva, j809 and CCCSD like this.
  13. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Musta been Trucker SSPOs...

mpd61 likes this.
  14. RodneyFarva

Yeah but you are far from a "reasonable and prudent person" :p

j809 likes this.
  15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member