Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :) I'll just jump right on in here.

I am looking for anyone w/any information on web based/live CAD systems. We are in the process of drawing up our initial spec documents on a new CAD system. We are looking at Positron initially as it intergrates w/our Positron RMS etc...

However, we have some on board who is really adamant that web based CAD is the way to go.

Anyone w/any experience w/this would be very helpful.

Downtimes?

Contectivitiy problems?

Intergration issues w/other vendors?

Good points?

I am in a two county, combined dispatch center w/nine municipalities and lots of rural farmland in between and I'm concerned also about the cell tower coverage.

Helllp!! Appreciate any insight you may have as a user or even what you may have heard from other agencies.

Thanks so much folks...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would bet that most people on this board are not familiar with the vendor you mention. My department uses QED (A company that a lot of people I know aren't happy with). The web based aspect of the system isn't too bad but there are ups and downs.

Good:

Generally more user friendly than a Unix or DOS type system.

Easier to jump around between applications in the program.

Better appearance.

Bad:

More security concerns - we have actually had pop-up ads come up when people are writing reports. Spyware could be a very serious concern too.

Can run slow at times

I would recommend using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer if possible - It's generally less vulnerable to viruses, spyware and hijacks. It's also free!

It's also a good idea to eliminate outside internet and ban the loading of unauthorized software (especially games) on the terminals that will be running this in dispatch.

I think the best way to research this is to talk to the dispatchers and officers in nearby departments that actually use the software you are looking at. Most C.O.'s and IT people won't give you the same feedback as the troops who actually use it on a daily basis.

Off on a tangent here: If I had the time and resources I would skip all of these vendors and create my own application in MS Access or with the free dbase software from Openoffice.org. Even better would be an open source CAD and RMS program provided by the U.S. government that would tie in NIBRS, interoperable CAD that works under ICS and NIMS, the 50 state CJIS type systems, NCIC, crime mapping and the coming NDEX system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Positron is a popular nationwide CAD system. I've never used it, but I've heard good and bad about it just like you'll here about any other CAD system.

We move into our new facility August 2nd. When we sent bids out to purchase a new CAD system they went out to: New World, Motorola (Printtrack), PSSI and another which I can't remember. We ended up going with Motorola although they have discontinued their Printrack system. We are getting their newest "MOTO" CAD, we will be the first PSAP in the country to use it. We aren't getting the actual CAD until December because of all the bugs we found while doing configuration. Standard for being a Beta test site..... :roll: But we also got their Centracom Gold Elite radio system and we went with VESTA for phones. I HIGHLY recommend those.

On a side note, we also got the Watson consoles on hydraulics.. SWEET.

As far as the live CAD, you'll just have to ask around. That is a relatively new way to do things and that in and of itself may caution you against going that route yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Bluesamurai and Mr.J...

I have talked to a couple software engineers and some users of the system and I'm getting a better grasp on the issue.

I really appreciate your responses. ..thankyou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.