Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milford, Mass. -

Without Rusty, two drug arrests this week might never have happened.
Coordinating with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Worcester County Sheriff's Office K-9 Unit, who supplied Rusty, the Milford Police Department arrested two people Wednesday after intercepting a mail parcel containing 50 pills of controlled substances.

Jacqueline Phillips, 41, of 5 Pheasant Circle, Milford, and Joseph Goodnow, 58, of 2763 Third Ave. North, St. Petersburg, Fla., were arrested at the Milford Post Office at 2:33 p.m. and charged with possession of a Class C substance, Vicodin, and possession of a Class E substance, Carisoprodol, police said.

The postal inspector, along with Milford Detective Craig Stanley, had been investigating for several months, Police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said yesterday.

The Police Department contacted the sheriff's office who had Rusty, a black Labrador retriever, check the package at the post office Wednesday.

"A well-trained canine and a well-trained handler makes a difference," O'Loughlin said. "Otherwise, you just have a package. The dog was critical."

Authorities opened the package after Stanley secured a search warrant.
Phillips and Goodnow were arrested when they came to the post office to pick up the package, O'Loughlin said.

It contained 20 pills of Vicodin and 30 pills of Carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant, according to the sheriff's office.

Goodnow was also charged on five warrants out of Massachusetts, police said.

Worcester County Sheriff Guy Glodis said the arrests underscore the cooperation among the three agencies. "We're moving closer toward not just regionalization but a partnership," Glodis said. "When you combine all the strengths, it's a significant public safety strength."

The sheriff's office has worked with the Police Department in the past, Glodis said.

"It's part of an ongoing effort at making the sheriff's office more prevalent in the local community," Glodis said. "I want to make sure it's used as a resource for public safety agencies."

Rusty was recently awarded first place in narcotics detection and was named best overall indoor narcotics search dog in New England by the United States Canine Association, according to the sheriff's office.
Rusty's work has led to many arrests, including a bust in Shrewsbury that produced nine kilograms of cocaine, Glodis said.

"Rusty's been unbelievable."

Paul Crocetti can be reached at 508-634-7583 or [email protected].

G

·
"It's part of an ongoing effort at making the sheriff's office more prevalent in the local community," Glodis said. "I want to make sure it's used as a resource for public safety agencies."
At least the blowhard is being honest for a change. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend, and he'll even pay for parking the next time he goes to a Cape beach.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, really the kudos belongs to the dog, not the Sheriff. It's not his fault he works for WCSD.

As far as the Sheriff's department becoming a "resource" for police agencies--this is like stealing rainwater from the plant, then using it in a sprinkling can for the same plant, then patting yourself on the back for "helping." Totally circular logic.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
At least the blowhard is being honest for a change. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend, and he'll even pay for parking the next time he goes to a Cape beach.
Newsflash!
I went to Scusset Beach today on the scoot and got waved through without paying...
I said to my wife, "do you thinks it's because I look like a cop?" my wife just smiled and said "hate to burst your bubble hon, it's after 4:00 pm!"
:p

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
WHats funny about all this is those drugs were "legal drugs" it would be funny if it was someones legitamate mail order prescription.

Also What is up with the Sheriff hanging around in Douglas lately with their K-9 cars, I mean Douglas is in the middle of almost no where, and I know it would be classic to have a Sheriff's deputy on patrol there, but the past few weeks I have seen like 2 or 3 Sheriff cars hanging around, in the morning and at night. Probably just "helping out". Just show up when you feel like it. Of course they could be training. Either way its my gas since I'm a taxpayer, train at the jail or something!

·
2,297 Posts
Good lord, a 50 pill pinch. That makes the news? There are guys in Springfield grabbing bundles and bundles of heroin, coke, pills and pounds of weed every day...I guess they just need a PR guy like Guy.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I went to a BBQ when FLynn was still in office, they put on a nice spread....Though I think I was the only one under 60 in attendance...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Funny about the Douglas thing...I followed a low profile WCSO K-9 cruiser down 146 one night during a guest patrol at high rate of speed with no lights....when I called WCSO directly and the barracks nobody seemed to know about a problem or call there...interesting..

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I think one of the Deputies might live in that area. Its always great when an agency has no idea who has what car or what they are doing. Its not uncommon to call the MSP for example and ask if they have unmarked ford with the blue lights in XYZ area on a traffic stop. The MSP dispatcher will then say that is so and so's cruiser.

Worcester County Sheriff has a "transportation dispatcher" during the day and probably some switchboard lady at night who knows nothing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think one of the Deputies might live in that area. Its always great when an agency has no idea who has what car or what they are doing. Its not uncommon to call the MSP for example and ask if they have unmarked ford with the blue lights in XYZ area on a traffic stop. The MSP dispatcher will then say that is so and so's cruiser.

Worcester County Sheriff has a "transportation dispatcher" during the day and probably some switchboard lady at night who knows nothing.

Two problems I have with this post....first is unmarked MSP cruisers have markings to ID them if you know what you're looking for..and ANY barracks can use the radio to raise "the unmarked cruiser at whatever location" and 99% of the time you'll know who it is....it may be a CPAC cruiser the other 1% of the time but if they stop cars they usually got a good stop and look for a marked car because they're in plain clothes or they need one for transport or it's an asshat that is driving like crap and needs it..
IF YOU'RE SO CONCERNED STOP AND SEE IF THEY'RE ALL SET!! Could be a whacker right??

Second problem regarding WCSO dispatch...WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO ON WCSO FROM??...unless there has been a huge change FROM WHEN I WORKED THERE...dispatch for transportation people was handled by the Lieutenant in transportation or someone in that department ....and there is a dispatcher IN THE MODS who handles Special Services deputies from the jail including K-9 deputies..and this dispatcher would know because the Deputy in charge of the sections office is right behind it and those guys are in and out all the time.....as a CO you practically had to give a DNA sample to get in there...this person...who would know...had no clue or was lying to me...I called them directly to see if he was all set...
AND UNLESS THEY RUN THE MARK 12 INTEROPERABILITY COMMAND CENTER 24/7 USING 100 DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES..HOW MANY RADIOS DO YOU THINK THEY CARRY THAT IT'S SO HARD TO GET A HOLD OF THEM?? OR IS IT THERE ARE SO MANY K-9 GUYS THAT THEY CAN'T GET HIM ON A CELL PHONE?? I'M SURE THEY ARE ISSUED ONE... THAT WCSO PAYS FOR (more importantly taxpayers)... SO THEY CAN JUMP CALLS WITHOUT POPPING UP ON SCANNERS....I mean you never know when you get a last minute post office search that you need to call in Rusty right??...

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.