·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warren officers, officials back chief
Tuesday, May 18, 2004
By WILLIAM SWEET
[email protected]

WARREN - Warren Police Department officers last night showed support for Police Chief Glenn McKiel, seeking to quell a resident's recent charge that McKiel was the subject of a police investigation.

Seven officers, all members of the department hired before McKiel came to Warren last year, attended the selectmen's meeting last night as a show of support for their chief.

The group was backing up recent statements by officials with Worcester County, the State Police, and Police Chief Glenn McKiel's past employer in Littleton, refuting claims by a resident that the police chief was the subject of an investigation, and other rumors.

"We're here to support our chief," said Sgt. Jeffrey Y. Bednarz. "We're here to say we back the decisions he has made, and we'll back the decisions he will make."

McKiel recently received endorsements from police higher-ups in response to comments made by Finance Committee member Anne Bourque at an April 12 selectmen's meeting, claiming State Police had investigated McKiel. McKiel said last night that he didn't know about his officers' intentions to speak, however.

"I am surprised, I am pleased, I am humbled by this," said McKiel.

"Everyone's here of our own free will," said Bednarz. "It's not like he's stacking the department with his buddies."

Police officer and former selectman Joseph R. LaFlower said selectmen shouldn't have allowed Bourque' comments in open session, with a local cable access camera rolling, and without McKiel present at the time. The accusation should have been taken in a closed session, he said.

Littleton Police Chief John M. Kelly, Middlesex First Assistant District Attorney John McEvoy, State Police Superintendent Col. Thomas J. Foley, and Worcester County District Attorney John J. Conte denied that McKiel has ever been under investigation.

Bourque later said her information came secondhand.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- There's always a village idiot that has to open their trap...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Sounds like a Nancy Pelosie (sp?) clone...or clown, your choice...

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Quote:

You have got to be kidding me. This official makes a statement at a public meeting that the Police Chief of the Town is under investigation with the Cameras rolling, and then says the information came secondhand. I really hope the Chief in the town pursues this legally and shoves that offical back in the sewer from which they crawled out of. :sb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
What I would really like to know is who is this second hand information? :evil: Also I too think the chief should pursue every avenue to him to see that she formally and publicly apologize to the chief.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
let's see..............

Slander=spoken word
Libel=Printed word

Yeah,
That's the ticket!
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
The Chief has asked for a public apology twice. The bit#$ refuses.

The Chief is a better man than I. I would have gone straight to the lawyers office and had the lien filed for the civil suit. Maybe that option can still be pursued. I seem to remember another politician who refused to make a heartfelt apology for her indiscretions regarding aides babysitting, and using a helicopter for not official reasons. She stuck to her guns for a while and than was ran out of her reelection campaign from a guy from Utah because she refused to take immediate responsibility for her actions. I hoppe the same fate awaits this lovely town political official. :sb:

G

·
Chief Mc Kiel

It's great to see other Officers around the commonwealth expressing support for our Chief, and I thank all of you for the replies. I have called the Cjhief's attention to them.

I am Officer Joseph R. LaFlower, a 19 year veteran officer of the Warren Police Department, and also served a three year term as selectman in the town.

The selectmen should have never allowed Ms. Bourque to make allegations against the Chief in a public meeting, without the Chief present to defend himself or request an executive session in regards to the allegations. The board should have informed Ms. Bourque that if she had a complaint against the Chief to put it in writing and submit it to the board who in turn would schedule a hearing on the matter where both the Chief and Ms. Bourque could be present , allowing the Chief to exercise due process where he could request an executive session, in regards to the matter.

The Chief was denied the right to due process here and Ms. Bourque made slanderous allegations in a public meeting that was attended by some towns people and broadcast on local cable TV, and was also recorded by the news media.

The allegations are not true ( I have investigated this with my Chief's blessing) and the information was obtained second hand, even though Ms. Bourque stated that she had personal knowledge in the meeting, only to later admit to a reporter ( who was honest enough to report it) that the information was hearsay.

In my statement to the selectmen I pointed out that they handled this situation incorrectlty. I hope it sank in.

Thanks Again,

J.R. (Member of this site also)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Warren Resident...

I don't think you really have any basis to call the chief a "failure", after all the District Attorney's office is conducting an investigation. This is much different than indicting him on charges. Why don't we wait to see if this investigation produces any evidence supporting these allegations before we go calling anyone inept and chastising them, ok?

Does ANYONE in this country remember that key phrase, "Innocent until proven guilty"??????

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
speccop, thank you!

Warren resident... use caution before you say the Officers are not backing the Chief. The Chief is not a failure. And the Officers still want him to remain as Chief. This is NOT a blaming situation nor a defined "failure" situation by the Chief. It is difficult to say more, but trust me on this one.

I must end it there....

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Macop said:
Typical dumbass resident, thinks they know everything.
Yeah really, he should have checked his "facts" with bbelichick first.
:wink:

·
2,297 Posts
mpd61 said:
Yeah really, he should have checked his "facts" with bbelichick first.
:wink:
You want to debate about policing in Franklin County/Western Ma? Let me know.

If you want to take potshots in other threads like a nitwit, then you go right ahead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
RPD931 said:
speccop, thank you!

Warren resident... use caution before you say the Officers are not backing the Chief. The Chief is not a failure. And the Officers still want him to remain as Chief. This is NOT a blaming situation nor a defined "failure" situation by the Chief. It is difficult to say more, but trust me on this one.

I must end it there....
Believe me, it was my pleasure! :D

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Mar 14, 2006

State law stifles Warren chief

Sergeant's leave unexplained

By Kim Ring TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WARREN-
Police Chief Glenn F. McKiel is remaining mum about an investigation into allegations against Sgt. Jeffrey Y. Bednarz, who has been on paid administrative leave since late last month.

In a written statement released yesterday, McKiel said he is prohibited by state law from commenting. He said the town's lawyers have also advised him to refrain from speaking about the matter. No charges have been filed against Sgt. Bednarz.

Sgt. Bednarz, 26, is the subject of an investigation by the state police detective unit assigned to Worcester District Attorney John J. Conte's office and based in Auburn, Mr. Conte confirmed last week.

Sources told the Telegram & Gazette that Sgt. Bednarz allegedly pointed a gun at other police department employees inside the station and while on duty in a police cruiser, sometimes using a laser pointer used to mark a target with a red dot.

Other allegations included the theft of beer from the department's evidence room and making a comment about slicing another employee's throat. One source said there are questions about whether some guns seized as evidence are missing.

In a document shown to the Telegram & Gazette, one employee described Sgt. Bednarz allegedly removing a 30-pack of beer being held as evidence, shredding the evidence tag and making a remark about consuming the beer "with 18-year-old girls."

After dodging telephone calls from a reporter for almost four weeks, Chief McKiel said yesterday that he could not comment beyond what was in the press release.

Sources said officers took their concerns to Chief McKiel but were not satisfied with his response. In the document, employees wrote that they understood Sgt. Bednarz was getting help but the problems had not been resolved.

Sgt. Bednarz and all other full-time Warren officers are members of Local 117 of the Massachusetts Coalition of Police. Union lawyer Patrick Bryant said the coalition is concerned with officer safety and has dealt with Chief McKiel on other occasions. In some situations, the union has been frustrated with him, according to Mr. Bryant.

Sgt. Bednarz was hired as a part-time officer in 1999 and earned the rank of sergeant in 2003, a year after being named a semifinalist for the chief's job, which was awarded to Chief McKiel, then a sergeant in Littleton.

A source said Sgt. Bednarz's brief marriage ended last year. The couple has one child. A home on Bridge Street, purchased by Sgt. Bednarz in 2002 for $129,900, was sold recently for $186,000.

Attempts to reach Sgt. Bednarz have been unsuccessful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.