Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... do written warnings in MA get recorded with the RMV or effect insurance? I've got warnings before and when i get my record from the RMV they never show up. So does this mean theres no way for an agency your applying for to find out if or how many warnings you've received?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Warnings are tallied by the RMV...three warnings in a given time period results in suspension of license for a given time period.

Warnings also count in collisions. The person issued a warning is 'at fault', just like a regular citation: the difference is you can't contest a warning in court (you can administratively through the RMV...but good luck!).

·
Registered
114 Posts
The license suspension is supposed to occur after 3 warnings are given in a calendar year. I've yet to see this actually happen.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
It does happen, I know of one case. But only one case, and that was from too many speeding citations.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
As far as up here, they don't show. They just get logged in the agencies own database (CAD). They don't affect your license or insurance, as they are just a "warning".

·
Registered
370 Posts
The law was amended by Chapter 67 of the Acts of 2001. It eliminated the 7 day suspension that used to result from 3 warnings in one year.

They don't show up on a record check.

I think they are a waste of time. If I have to get out of the car...your usually going to "pay".

Most people don't learn anything from them and they are quickly forgotten.

On the other end of the issue, I wouldn't lie about them during a background check. There are other ways of finding out.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
They are great for accidents where a driver is yelling at and threatening you: Issue the warning: he'll be bragging to all his buddies about how he intimidated you...until he gets the surcharge on his insurance :shock: :D ! Sorry, buddy, no appeals! :twisted:

·
1,334 Posts
They are great for accidents where a driver is yelling at and threatening you: Issue the warning: he'll be bragging to all his buddies about how he intimidated you...until he gets the surcharge on his insurance :shock: :D ! Sorry, buddy, no appeals! :twisted:
An excellent option for drivers that try to tell you how to conduct your accident investigation and who should/should not be cited. Here is your warning sir/ma'am... :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So they do affect insurance? I was under the impression that they are not recorded by the RMV? :?:

·
MassCops Member
60 Posts
The crash effects your insurance, not the warning you get, but warning makes the insurance companies lean towards you being at fault...

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
The crash effects your insurance, not the warning you get, but warning makes the insurance companies lean towards you being at fault...
which CAN in fact be appealed.

In my opinion *you know what they say about those * the insurance comanys need to re-evaluate their procedures.
They have MANY bottom line surcharges i.e. "One vehicle accident = surcharge, bottom line"
Last year I was involved in a one vehicle accident because i hit a VERY large pothole and lost control. Local PD came out and filled out a "Road Defect Reort", not an accident report, but since i was the only vehicle involved, insurance said "oh well"... So its stuck somewhere in the appeal process right now..... but untill then, I pay higher insurance and my employer is saying "wtf is this accident about".....

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Just curious... do written warnings in MA get recorded with the RMV or effect insurance? I've got warnings before and when i get my record from the RMV they never show up. So does this mean theres no way for an agency your applying for to find out if or how many warnings you've received?
Yes, an agency will see the warnings. They are entered into LEAPS and will show on your Driver History (KQ)...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
When investigating a two (or more) vehicle accident, I have been known to cite all involved for their 'contribution' to the collision: let the insurance weasels sort it out!

Also, just because a citizen gets 'rear ended' (sorry...in a car), doesn't mean they are not at fault. If a citizen is merging onto the highway he shall match velocities with traffic and 'merge'. Stopping on the ramp causes 'chain reaction' collisions...and guess who gets the V??? The lead 'driver' who stopped on the ramp (insurance companies hate that one...). :twisted:

:eek:t: slightly off topic, but a word to the wise...imagine if you gigged all the participants in a collision with 'warnings' :wink: ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, an agency will see the warnings. They are entered into LEAPS and will show on your Driver History (KQ)...
When did this start?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Warnings do not show up on driving records. The state removed the suspension for 3 warnings because when everyone started looking for data on racial profiling they learned the warnings have never been enetered by RMV. The only place they will show up is by in the records of the dept that issued them. We have provided that info to depts doing backgrounds so the best advise is always tell the truth if asked. Its a lot easier to explain a warning than why you lied about it.

I've also been told insurance companies won't consider warnings any more than an officer writing in the report that the operator ran a stop sign. I was told the reason they don't consider it is because there is no appeal process. This info came from people whose accidents I covered and I wrote a warning to the other operator. Their insurance told them they only look at complaints/$$ not warnings. I am not claiming this to be true, only what I've been told.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I've never had to request a driving record through the RMV, so I'm not sure... Does the "Driving Record" through the RMV differ from a printed KQ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.