Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sweet lady helping out the NHSP...
State Troopers Thank Their "Guardian Angel"

Anyone familiar with Coos County knows it can be a very isolated and lonely place to be. Sun goes down at 15:30 in January... This article shows there are still a few nice people in our great country...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CARROLL - Over the years, when state troopers from elsewhere pulled duty in the far northern part of the state, it may have seemed they were as far away from home as they could be.

Unless they stayed with Hilda Little. Yesterday, she was honored as a "guardian angel, grandmother to all."

"She took good care of them," said Lt. John Scarinza, the commander of Troop F in Twin Mountain. "Oftentimes we have had troopers come to Colebrook from the southern part of New Hampshire or Massachusetts and when they were given the plum assignment to work in the far north, they got to stay with Hilda."

Yesterday was Little's 86th birthday and when her son, Alan, invited her to take a ride to Twin Mountain, she jumped at the chance to get out for a bit.

So imagine her surprise when she showed up at the state police barracks to find a cookout, a cake and a handful of her former boarders who greeted her with all the affection a doting grandmother deserves.

"That's my family," she said, taken aback by the celebration.

Little was a familiar fixture over the years, first as a waitress in Colebrook and then in the gift shop at The Balsams. When her husband, Wilbur, died in 1980, and she had some health problems, it became apparent her life was going to have to change.

She quickly grew bored not doing anything and mentioned to a friend that she thought she would see about renting a room or two in her home. That was in the mid-1980s.

At the time, Howie Weber was a state trooper. He overheard that conversation.

"A couple of days later he came to the house and told me that he didn't like the idea of strangers coming to stay in my house," Little recalled.

He then suggested that she might consider taking in some state police trainees looking for a place to stay on their northern assignments.

But by then, she said, she had grown accustomed to living with just the company of her dog, Tina, and she was used to not waiting for the sound of her husband's truck to pull into the driveway.

"I told him, 'No way,' " she said.

Not long after, Little and her granddaughter were spending some time together when some curious visitors came calling.

"She said, 'Gram, will you tell me what two state troopers are doing walking up the driveway?' " she recalled.

On her doorstep was Weber, with a trainee in tow.

"I guess he thought I wouldn't say no," Little said.

The first trooper, Jim Mayers, ended up becoming her grandson-in-law. Following him came 29 other troopers, most of whom remained with state police.

"She could tell who would stay on and who wouldn't make it," said Tom Yorke, assistant troop commander.

Trooper Kieran Fagan, now stationed at Troop B in Milford, lived with Little for more than two years.

"She was definitely like a grandmother," he said.

Over the years, she cooked many a dinner for the troopers, took care of laundry and loved each and every one as if all were her grandchildren. Long after their departure, Little still hears from them.

Scarinza and Little have talked many times over the years, but yesterday was the first time they had ever met in person.

"She would take messages for them, she would give them hell if they came in late, and she would not let you get through to them if you didn't have a very good cause," he said with a laugh. "She would not wake them up if they were sleeping."

Little admitted that she never waited up for any of her "boys," but if they weren't home in the morning, she would call Troop F to make sure they were all right.

She did other things for her boarders.

"One of the constant chores is doing brass," Scarinza said, explaining that this is polishing everything that is gold on the uniform daily. "She would help them - they always looked the best."

In honor of her years of looking out for fledgling troopers, State Police Col. Frederick Booth signed a commendation that was presented to her yesterday.

"We appreciate everything you have done from offering shelter, a warm smile and worrying about us when we were on duty at night," he wrote. "Especially during the long winter months when the only thing we might see is the snow piling up in front of our cruiser. Some of us were away from our families during lengthy periods of time, missing and wanting to be near them. You became our family. You are our blessing."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.