Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the above mentioned organization? What's their reputation like? Do they carry? Do they have powers?

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
I'm not sure about powers, but they do not carry. They do have a good reputation with the regulars, and are allowed to go on ride-alongs with the regulars.

The application process can be a bit of a pain in the ass though...from what I have heard from speaking to some of their officers is that you have to call the officer in charge of the auxillary (on WPD, not the auxillary department) all the time to check on your application and remind him about it. That was one of the reasons I never went for Waltham. It seems that their recruiting and approval process is handled through him rather than an appointed recruiting officer in the auxillary.

However, the few that I have talked to are a nice bunch of folks (along with many of the regular officers in Waltham).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey edogs334, I'm a member of the WAPD, and here's some info on the dept ;
We do not carry (ie guns and batons) just OC spray, and we do not have any LE powers. We work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights during the school year and every day over the summer. We patrol the cities' schools, parks, and other properties in marked crusiers. We do a lot of free details for the city and for private groups ( parades, road races, 4th of July). The department pays for your academy, and uniform (including duty belt, cuffs ect). We are very big on training. After you get the academy and finish training and probation, you can work $$paid$$ details. You can go on ride alongs with FT officers and have a very good relationship with them.
The app and backround takes a whie because its done with the same scrutiny as an app for a FT is done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Wiggum. I was actually under the impression that most aux depts/reserve divisions make you pay for the academy and your uniforms/equipment. It's definately a plus that they pay for those things once you get on (it's a nice incentive for people to volunteer their time and energy).

·
Registered
40 Posts
What area are you from? Most towns have at least a proximity requirement. Also Aux. Departments vary quite a bit town to town. Waltham is very squared away but very limited as to what they can do. Towns tend to utilize Aux's (like Wayland) much more than cities, as they dont have the number of Regulars to cover the activity. Some Aux Depts. do carry and are sworn. Depends on the experience and level of committment you are looking for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm from the immediate Metro-Boston area. However, I currently go to school out in Worcester. I'm currently in my last year, so I'll most likely move back to my town after the school year ends in May 2005. I know that my town has an active auxiliary, which I am looking into. I'm pretty sure that they don't carry or have any powers, though. I was informed of the latter by someone who answered my initial phone call to the dept's Community Services Division. However, I was later informed by someone else in the division that aux's patrol on weekend nights just like the regulars, except their duties are more assistive rather than front-line work. So, I'm not 101% sure about what exactly they can do, but it sounds like they don't do things like make traffic stops or felony arrests (Although I could still be wrong at this point, because I don't have all the facts).

I know that if I choose to apply to (and get accepted by) an auxiliary, it's going to be a significant commitment no matter where I apply to. I am looking into becoming an aux. officer for two reasons: 1)Because I currently do community service work at school and really like serving communities/helping others, 2)Because LE is one of the career fields I am considering, and I'd like to get a first-hand look at what it might actually be like. Moreover, even if I decide not to pursue LE full-time, I might still consider being an Aux. in addition to the full-time profession that I choose to pursue. It seems like an awesome way to serve one's community. Also, it's probably a lot more exciting, at times, than candy-stripeing (sp?) in a hospital; been there, done that.

I'm conflicted on the subject of whether or not to apply to a dept that carries and has powers (vs. depts who don't). On one hand, it may be easier for me not to eat the whole enchilada all at once and just be more of an assistant (rather than a front-line participant). On the other hand, it concerns me a bit that the depts who don't carry/have powers let their officers go out on patrol (even if it is only schools/municipal buildings). I'm sure that to most crooks, all cops are the same no matter whether they get paid or are volunteert. If I interrupt a burglar who happens to be sociopathic, he probably won't care what my patch/badge says or what my uniform looks like. If I'm in his way, I'm just another cop (read: threat) to him, and he probably wouldn't think twice about shooting or stabbing me. Would you guys agree with this? Again, I'm am a total newbie to the field of LE, so I probably don't have all the facts straight. I would welcome your opinions and/or information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts