Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm getting closer and closer now... spoke to the recruiting Sgt. for Vermont State Police and he said as long as i pass my background my chances are very very good at getting a job offer for the Jan 05 academy. Keeping my fingers crossed... [-o<

My question is about the amount of running you do in the academy. I know VSP's 3 weeks pre academy is brutal from what I hear. I run at least four times a week, since its my weakness when it comes to PT stuff. How many miles do i need to be able to run at a time to not drop dead in the academy? I can do about 3 miles now without stopping. I do have a couple months to prepare. Any adivce?

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
The academy pt when I went was a bit tougher than now. We ran 4 miles twice a week with the other two days being weight training. We also did early morning team building which varied in activities. Also, we constantly did pt through out the day with pushups, situps, etc.... The last week we ran 13 miles on the last running day, to include other pt exercises.

As far as the first three weeks for VSP, be prepared for at least running 4 miles a day if not more, to include all of the pt. Basically, the first three weeks are compared to the first week of normal academy, they are HELL WEEK.

Now I mention this in the past as the class after mine, there was a Training Coordinator changes, and since then there has been several more. I have not had the opertunity to see the new way, but have heard it is much easier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want a tip for the pre-basic academy, be able to run more than 4 miles at a very quick pace. They are very harsh with running we ran twice a day M-Th and on Friday morning. The PT was extremely intense. The VPA was nothing in 16 weeks compared to the 3 at pre-basic. The DIs at pre-basic are very good at what they do. Keep your nose clean and train very hard. They will push you to failure and expect you to do twice as much as you already have. The VPA is nothing in comparison.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Em,
Try the link below then click on running faster. There is a really good 4 mile workout that will help you with both distance and speed. There are also great ideas for upperbody workouts in that site too. Good luck.
stewsmith.com

Edit: fixed bad link - VOR

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've been weight training for years so running is my main concern. My legs/lower back seem to get tired well before my lungs do. I did three miles the other night fairly easily but i think i should invest in a top notch pair of running sneakers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am serious when I say you really need to run, esspecially since your pre-basic is going to be cold. You fitness is more important than your sneakers. I am not kidding, I just went through the last class and I am a troop out of shaftsbury, pre-basic is hell. Make sure you can run more than three miles. Keep training, remember the endurance and not just strength, good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with Billj, buy a great pair of running shoes. He is right do not spare any expenses on this item. They run you into the ground. But make sure that they are broken in before you get there. it also does help to get used to the shoe when running. Just remember be able to run, like forest gump :lol: and you'll be fine. Just remember they are acting and treating you like they are for a reason. Any questions give me a pm. Good luck in the process

1 - 8 of 8 Posts