Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a big discussion in my department about a new video system that has been installed in our Crown Vic. What is the law on video taping someone? Do you have to notify the person that they are being video and audio taped first?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You must advise them that they are being audio recorded. You do not have to tell them if it's only video. i wrote the policy for our department. pm me if You need more info.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
harley387 said:
you must advise them that they are being audio recorded. you do not have to tell them if it's only video. i wrote the policy for our department. pm me if you need more info.
thats how it is in florida also. in my dept we have video's in every cruiser and you have to notify the person of the audio.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
police video

If I had vIdeo In my cruIser, I never would have had to go to fed court for vIolatIng some fux constItutIonal rIghts!

all vIdeo, all the tIme! :rock:

·
Registered
138 Posts
M.g.l. ch. 272 sec. 99, there's something wrong with source code. i cannot edit correctly, or the site will not allow me to. ???

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
ALL CAPS BACK ON, because it was screwing up posts....

JUST TRY NOT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS as it is not easy to read....

Thanks,

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
We had one camera at MCCPD. Plymouth CTY DA office said that we can use the video without telling them but no audio. If we recorded audio then we had to tell them. Bolton PD has the cameras with audio and they tell them at the onset of stop that they are being recorded.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Get the people to sign a waiver and then use the video for resale or profit by starting a homegrown version of COPS. :D

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Unfortunately the videos are used more by I.A. than anyone else, they end up becoming more of a "big brother" than anything else. I've seen more officers hurt then helped by these in-car video systems!!

Stay safe!

G

·
I have had a camera in my new sled now since August and frankly, I don't relish the thought of eventually turning this car in five + years or so, and not getting another one with a camera. It is like a silent partner. You don't have to break it in, it wont' wreck your cruiser or sling hubcaps (kiljoy) and it doesn't talk back. All kidding aside, I think the pro's far out weigh the cons. And you can't help but notice that when you advise people that they are being recorded, they shut right up, thus ending confrontation (most of the time) before it even starts. Stay safe all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
PBC FL Cop said:
Unfortunately the videos are used more by I.A. than anyone else, they end up becoming more of a "big brother" than anything else. I've seen more officers hurt then helped by these in-car video systems!!
How about when someone assaults an officer? Or OUI incidents, before you make the stop (observe sh*tty operation) and also during FST's (observe sh*tty balance)?

Like every tool, it has pros and cons!

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
How about when someone assaults an officer? Or OUI incidents, before you make the stop (observe sh*tty operation) and also during FST's (observe sh*tty balance)? Like every tool, it has pros and cons!

-Mike
No argument there Mike, and they can be very helpful for different criminal encounters and if they are allowed to be turned on at the officers discretion they are an excellent tool. But in my dept they turn on everytime the blue lights are activated and have been proactively used by I.A. to find any and all violations of policy, which is unfortunate and I've seen videos hurt more cops than they've helped. I'd rather take my chances using my pen to articulate my observations.

Just my opinion!!

Stay safe!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Town of Upton uses them, and supposedly officers have to introduce themselves, announce that the driver is being audio and videotaped, and then advise the driver of the reason for the stop.

Then they can ask for license and registration.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
As pointed out earlier our unit is video w/out the sound. I welcome the tape as it has been used to keep us OUT of trouble, right Yimmy!????
:lol:

I must point out from experience though,
1. don't pick your nose while on the stop
2. make sure the camera is off afterwards, so the Sgt. doesn't reprimand you for relieving yourself on the side of the road after the stop!
:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts