VIDEO: Officer Attacked While Booking Inmate | MassCops

VIDEO: Officer Attacked While Booking Inmate

Discussion in 'National' started by kwflatbed, May 19, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

PoliceLink
    May 19, 2011

CLEVELAND – Apparently, Anthony Thomas, 29, of Cleveland, was not happy about being arrested on charges of contempt of court on drunken driving and driving under suspension.
    After Officer William Witt removed Thomas’ handcuffs to begin the booking process, Thomas jumped over the counter and started punching Witt. According to reports, as the two grappled, Witt said he could feel Thomas reaching for a gun. Witt couldn’t radio for help because his portable radio microphone had fallen from his shirt.
    Eventually, Witt overtook Thomas, and other officers, hearing the commotion, rushed to help. Thomas now has assault on a police officer added to his charges.

Video:
    http://policelink.monster.com/news/...ource=nlet&utm_content=pl_c1_20110519_booking

2. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Call me crazy, but being in a seated position with your back turned to an unrestrained prisoner is not the best strategic position. I'm glad the officer got him under control and used his weight to his advantage.

3. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

Still got it after 18 years, luckily! Nice choke hold though, for sure!

4. ShmitDiesel

ShmitDiesel Radio

I'm loving that choke hold, Simpsons Style.

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Good thing he saw it coming at the last second. I know its the new world of touchey-feely PC bullshit, but that animal deserved an old-school, arraigned in the hospital bed style beat down. The kind so severe it will permenantly deter him from ever getting a stupid thought like that in his head, and leave him with a limp/disability as a daily reminder to him and others to not ever, ever, ever, even think of doing anything like that.

6. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Holly shit, either the officer violated protocol, or that dept is asking for trouble. Have an uncuffed suspect standing alone.The officer sitting with his back turned to the suspect typing. It's just luck this post is not in the final call to duty thread. Eagle you're right great choke hold.

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That looks like a fairly modern/updated booking area.....hard to believe the prisoner has unfettered access to the booking officer.

8. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Holy shit I was laughing my balls off at that choking!

9. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

That choke was classic. Full frontal double handed squeeze the life outta you choke. Awesome.

10. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

I am very glad the officer held his own and the story did not turn out the other way!!!!!

11. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

With all those officers in the station, no one could be in the booking area with the suspect, assisting the booking officer? The fact that this officer was alone, sitting in a chair with his back to the suspect, boggles my mind. It should be policy, not to mention common sense, that there should always be at least two officers in the booking area when booking a suspect.

And what gun was the suspect reaching for? There should never be a gun in the booking area for reasons such as this. Once attacked, the officer did a great job; however, this never should have been allowed to happen in the first place.

12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Officer Witt did a nice job banging that idiot off a couple walls.

definitely had the extra pounds and put that girth to good use.

be nice to see Cleveland PD spring for some plexi-glass and a gun locker.

13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Two officers, restrained prisoner. Seems we're all in agreement here. Too bad it happened but the response by Officer Witt was awe inspiring!

14. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Agree with LACopper on this, no gun should ever be in the booking room! I hope at his arraignment on the new charges Thomas answered the judge in a raspy voice. Like when Warren jabbed Matt Dillon in the adam's apple.

[​IMG]

15. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Wow!!! Good work by the officer. He remembered a very important rule I was told a while ago. "We don't have to fight fair, we have to fight to win." Unfortunately, in Ma, he'd prob get fired and sued for using a non-approved choke hold.

16. PPD54

PPD54 Highly Dedicated, Slightly Motivated

I'm surprised that he was armed in booking. Love how they dragged him off the counter like a rag doll.