Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"As soon as I tased him the individual behind me grabbed me by the face and threw me to the ground... holding my arms down."

A local police officer recalls this vicious weekend attack. It could have killed him. A warning... some people may find the video of the assault hard to watch. The men charged with jumping West Union Police Sergeant Jason Daniels are under arrest.

Rich Jaffe has the pictures you'll only see tonight on Local 12 News.

With dashboard camera rolling, West Union Police K-9 Sergeant Jason Daniels says when he advised 21-year-old Phillip Evans he was going to arrest him for driving under the influence, not having a license and expired tags, Evans got belligerent and resisted arrest.

Sgt. Jason Daniels, West Union Police: "I drew my taser, gave him several warnings, at that, an individual I didn't know coming from the Speedway store started approaching the scene. At that time, Phillip Evans, the driver, started getting more combative, I tased the individuals and started to fall backwards."

While all that was happening, Tim Pritchett, Evans' step-brother, had come up behind Sergeant Daniels. He grabs him by the face and throws him to the pavement, sitting on him, pinning his arms. At that point, you can see Evans begins kicking the injured sergeant in the face repeatedly with his size 13 steel toed logging boot.

"I was focused on the person on top of me and there wasn't a lot I could do with the guy kicking me in the face, ended up having to toss my taser with my wrist, because it was useless at that time... couldn't get to my weapon, couldn't get to my K-9 bailout, because I had my arms pinned to the ground... It was just survive what was coming."

While the assault was underway, a man and woman walked up and tried to intervene, which gave Daniels a chance to break away, draw his weapon and arrest the two men who'd been attacking him. A lieutenant also arrives to assist. The West Union Police Chief says Daniels assault and survival should be a lesson to cops everywhere.

Chief Roy Stricklett, West Union Police: "Never drop your guard... You never know when things are going to turn bad."

That size 13 steel toed boot is connected to a guy who, according to his drivers license, is 6 foot 3 and weighs 270 pounds. You can only imagine the impact.

Jason Daniels suffered a broken nose, various cuts and bruises, and was released from the hospital Sunday. After the attack, he put in another four hours of police work before driving himself to the hospital.

Amazingly, he tells me he'll be back on duty tomorrow. Evans and Pritchett remain behind bars on 100-thousand dollar bonds. They're both currently charged with felony assault on a police officer, and if convicted could spend between three and ten years in prison.
Vicious Attack On Officer Caught On Camera - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

I'm glad he's going to be okay, and I hate to sound like an asshole, but a K-9 Sergeant should have known better than to turn his back on an animal. He's damn lucky that couple intervened.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Having not seen the video yet, The shitbirds are (unfortunately) lucky as well. Im thinking, After taking a vicious beating, kicking to the face and head with steel toed boots by a line backer and his brother, sustaining a broken nose, and who knows what head injuries, still being outnumbered, no longer having your taser, seeing stars and possibly being unable to defend against another attack, I'm not so sure these two jerk-offs don't catch hot lead injections by the injured sergeant...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Why on Earth did he turn his back on the approaching individual? Just putting it out there! Everyone is a bad guy until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
damn lucky that those guys chose to stop... I don't see those two people being able to stop these guys and the officer was pinned. Everyone stay alert out there and like JF5 said, "Everyone is a bad guy until proven otherwise."

·
#FYPM
1,627 Posts
Lesson to be learned. A split second of letting your guard down can lead to that or worse. Glad he made it out of that with just bruises.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
That's why I am not officer friendly. Get the fuck away from me unless you want my attention. I wish fido got a chew toy in that incident.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not very familiar with K-9 patrol, what does he mean when he refered to his K-9 bailout? Is that some kind of a door-popper that can allow the dog to come out if he is ambushed like this?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I am not very familiar with K-9 patrol, what does he mean when he refered to his K-9 bailout? Is that some kind of a door-popper that can allow the dog to come out if he is ambushed like this?
That's exactly what it is. It's a remote that releases the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts