Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI for those of you that don't know....

:arrow: How to disable the seat belt reminder chime in your vic.

1. Turn the car off.
2. Turn the lights off.
3. Turn the key to the on position (ACC) do not start the engine.
4. Wait till the seatbelt idiot light shuts off (about 2 Min's)
5. Right after light turns off, buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt three times (last time it is unbuckled)
6. Turn your lights on then off again
7. Again buckle and unbuckle three times (last time it is unbuckled)
8. Wait for seatbelt light to go out and buckle and unbuckle one more time.

This all has to be completed in 60 seconds

Confirmation: The seatbelt reminder light will flash something like four times. This info can be found in the owners manual on either page 111 or 122 depending on what year your vic is.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
wish I actually read the manual... We used to make them permanently stop :twisted: .......The things would always go off as soon as I got on the radio....

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I got tired of, not that I don't always wear it but if I am sitting in the lot for a few or just driving to the pumps it gets annoying.

BTW: if disabled the same procedure enables it (for those wishing to mess with your cruiser partners :lol: )

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gil said:
That's what I got tired of, not that I don't always wear it but if I am sitting in the lot for a few or just driving to the pumps it gets annoying.
Hey, "CLICK IT OR TICKET" Gil! :L: :L: :L:

I attempted the "procedure" a couple of years ago the day my campus PD took delivery of a new CV. The next morning, the Capt had the car on a flatbed headed back to the dealer because it had a MAJOR electrical malfunction. Just about every electrical system in the car was either not working or doing strange things (reverse polarity stuff like: light's/strobes turned on when you turned the switch off, alternator failed, wipers didn't work, etc.). The car came back two days later and everything worked, except the chime function was active again. I never got an explanation as to what exactly the problem was (although I did take some crap as the thing was getting towed away that I wrecked the new car). Now, my technical background tells me it was all coincidence and that my actions probably had nothing to do with the failure. However, when the PO who used that car the most asked me to turn the chime off again, I politely told him he should just wear his seatbelt or buckle it behind his back!

G

·
That seatbelt fix only works for vehicles through 2002, the 2003's have a new series of events you need to do, and if anyone has any pointers on doing the new series I'd be interested in hearing them. The owners manual for the 2003 units explain it, but neither I or anyone on my dept. could get it to shut off the chime.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In newer series CV's, look in the manual, it has the sequence. Something similar to the series for olders CV's, but you buckle & unbuckle it 9x's.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
O.K. enough, I surrender. It's enough to think about buying an Impala YIKES! Now can we shut down this thread or do we wait until housing cop shows up here?
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Heh, I can see this conversation being on one of those news expose' things..."Cops rig seatbelts...then give you tickets"! I don't wear mine either though, so I can't talk. I'm a clip behind the back person. Shutting it off is too complicated, sounds like you'd need an engineering degree to do it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering, I just tried this procedure on our new 2005 Explorer and it worked like a charm. So let me be ignorant and say perhaps this will work on all newer Ford vehicles. THANKS GIL8)

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Killing the chime is great, Someone some how did it to my car but I have to say buckle up damm it. How many cops a year are killed in crashes. My fathers career was ended by a drunk hitting his patrol car. If he had been wearing his seat belt he would of walked away, but instead he had to retire.:BM: So we never got to work together. I always buckle up when working! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
252 Posts
topcop14 said:
Killing the chime is great, Someone some how did it to my car but I have to say buckle up damm it. How many cops a year are killed in crashes. My fathers career was ended by a drunk hitting his patrol car. If he had been wearing his seat belt he would of walked away, but instead he had to retire.:BM: So we never got to work together. I always buckle up when working! ! ! ! !
Point well taken, maybe someday I'll learn someday....the funny thing is I wear my belt all the time in POV but not in the cruiser.

](*,)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Muggsy09 said:
Point well taken, maybe someday I'll learn someday....the funny thing is I wear my belt all the time in POV but not in the cruiser.

](*,)
You're not wearing a duty belt with all sorts of irregular shaped equipment and a shield... all of which get snagged in your seatbelt from time to time... in your POV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts