VFW: Bring Back ROTC to Elite Colleges | MassCops

VFW: Bring Back ROTC to Elite Colleges

Discussion in 'Military News' started by OfficerObie59, Sep 11, 2009.

1. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Bring Back ROTC

Seven elite universities persist in banning the Reserve Officers Training Corps from their campuses. This is not only unfair to students, but dangerous to civil-military relations.

by Ken Harbaugh

“The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.”
    —Thucydides, Greek historian

A few years ago, I was sitting outside a coffee house in downtown New Haven, Conn. A convoy of Army trucks barreled past. In my previous job teaching Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) courses at The Citadel, that would have seemed normal. But in New Haven, home of Yale University, it bordered on the profane.

A young man sitting at the next table, probably a student, smirked: “What, are we at war?” The comment was not meant to be ironic. At Yale, as at most elite schools these days, it is easy to forget there is a war on. The normal signs are nowhere to be found.

Full Article:
    Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) :: VFW Magazine

2. BennyBulldog

BennyBulldog MassCops Member

This is one of the reasons why Larry Summers was run out of Harvard on a rail a few years back. He wanted to bring ROTC back to the campus and some distinguished members of the faculty had a problem with that. I think Harvard students have to travel to MIT to participate in ROTC because activities are banned from campus. This is a national disgrace and should attract more public attention. The ones whom benefit the most from our military, openly shun our brave men/women in uniform.

3. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

If Congress had any balls, they'd pass a bill which would cut off any financial aid to students and / or the school which refuses an ROTC program. This would then force their hand to do the right thing and allow ROTC on campus.
    While it would hurt students financially, it would hurt the school in the long run. I bet you'll see a Sharia Law Court in place on the Harvard campus long before you'll see the ROTC program restarted.

4. kealiikoa1

kealiikoa1 New Member

Bring back ROTC to elite colleges? I think that's a horrible idea. You'd be exposing the students to such harmful concepts as honor, patriotism, leadership, and a sense of duty. What happens when they graduate and move into the workplace? Can you imagine Ivy League ROTC alums infiltrating Wall Street? The horror of it all.

5. 31Aret

31Aret MassCops Member

Best commander I ever had on the reserve side was a Harvard grad who then delayed Harvard Law to enlist, go OCS and put in three years on active duty, airborne. He then went Reserve, did Harvard Law, and went on to a long career of saving and driving his chain of command nuts at the same time. Brilliant, unorthodox and totally results oriented. Folks with that kind of brain power force the chain of command to think because they are afraid of looking stupid. Too bad these schools don't have programs, all the services could use some elite school people. And more importantly the "ruling classes" should know something about the military.

6. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Great point. Certainly something I never considered.