Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
lets get a thread started so as not to get pegged with the "Off Topic" citation.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Never, Vets points are pointless!! I agree with their use after world war II and Vietnam but not for sitting around putting gas in a hummer and doing nothing!!
Most people will disagree with me Vets points should be gone!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, sure Randbo, I am sure all of the guys in the first Gulf War, in Afghanistan after 9/11, and heading back to the Gulf now for round 2 have no purpose.

God save the Commonwealth if you ever get hired... and I am not talking about a police job - I would be nervous if you were bagging my groceries!

Here's an out-of-the-blue poem dedicated to you and your consistent display of fine grammar skills (not to mention intelligent comments) straight from my heart, Randbo:

Grab a dictionary
go to school
learn where to park
and get a clue!

For topic's sake (hey, I have to set a good example), I believe that veterans should receive preference, however the method in which it is given needs to be adjusted. I think the MSP-style "couple points on the exam" is fair.

-Mike

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gee q5, Randbo gives his opinion & U don't like it so you call him a dumb-ass? I happen to agree with him that the point system should be revamped.
Someone who sits down the Cape in Otis AFB should get less points than some poor slob who's freezing his tail off on a mountainside in Afghanistan. Doesn't seem fair to me at all.
Should the guy who see's combat get more points? Bet your sweet @ss he should. I have nothing against giving what's due to somebody but the system needs a tune-up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Used2Be,

I think Randbo says NO preference should be given whatsoever, he is not in favor of just reforming the preference system.

Sure, someone Osama hunting in those caves is busting their ass at the same time another serviceman may be hitting the bars in Twentynine Palms - but points cannot just arbitrarily be awarded. There is no scale that they can develop that can cover every given situation.

I say everyone who serves gets the same number of points tacked onto their written exam score, and then after that it is everyone for themselves.

The interview process should allow those with military service to use it to their advantage. Combat? Medal? Great, you're hired. You were scrubbing toilets in San Diego for 4 years? Sorry, I will take the guy with the college degree - better luck next time.

Who cares what the Civil Service Commission says a "veteran" is, let those doing the hiring judge each case on an individual basis.

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Any moron who manages to attend enough classes on mommy and daddy's dime between bong hits & hangovers can get a college degree (notice I didn't specify CJ majors, although based on the last few CJ majors I've locked up, the line is beginning to blur), and they sacrifice nothing.
Sorry, but not every college student is attending classes on 'mommy and daddy's dime" some of us work our as&es of to pay the tuition. Therefore your point be is "an embarrassment rather than a viewpoint to be proud of." Sorry for the strong words, but i am coming off of a 12-8 shift with a ton of homework still to do.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
You know what trooper, I may have been too fired up in my last post. After thinking about it, many do fit the description you gave....but not all. Then again it depends on what school you look at, and the economic background of the students attending. Having a college education is an important contribution to society and to law enforcement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Agree with masstroopers 1 I think that Vets should get a preferance or points. They did sacrifice for this country in one way or another. Deciding to go to college after high school is not a sacrifice. It seems that the only people that truely have a problem with the system is the people that didnt have the balls to do a tour in the military. They found it more important to attend college, which if you knew you wanted to be a cop in this state was useless toward getting on, The only thing in this state that helps to almost grantee you a job is being a Vet and Im sure if you wanted to be in L/E in this state bad enought you knew that when you made your chioce after high school. Having a degree is nice but folks lets face it if your doing the highering who would you rather a person whos proven they can preform well under stress, has disapline, and dedication to a job or someone who sat in a classroom for a few years and learned stuff thats almost useless toward Police work. Anyone can go to school and learn but not Anyone can heck the riggers of military life which shows me that the vet would be more appt to stick it out and last when the sh%t hits the fan then someone whos never proven they can handle real stress other then a few term papers due on a monday morning. So I do agree with vets getting a preferance maybe not total preferance but at least a few points. Whats everyone option here about disabled Vets should they get any preferance? Also sorry for the spelling errors.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do not like repeating myself, but I'll make an exception in this case. Back in my younger and lesser informed days, the military was almost glamorous. We actually had the "Iron Curtain" to contend with. Now, we have all kinds of conflicts flaring up all over the place. One of the things both era's have in common is that no matter what your job was, you could be sent into conflict. Of course, depending on what your job was, some had more of a propensity to actually be in a conflict. While others, could be a cook, were still "serving" in a non-conflict area. The point is, everyone is a soldier. Case and point, Saudi Arabia, Scud missle debris lands on an air base. Thing is, the debris went into the living quarters (a tent), and if memory serves me correctly, 28 military members died. They were not Special Forces, PJ's, Rangers, etc. They were mechanics, supply, civil engineering, etc. Who would have thought? Bottom line, Vets get preference, points, whatever, it is well deserved. If you don't like it, too bad. Go and serve the four and let us know in "mass-net" land if your views are still the same when you come back. Put up, or shut up! (I can't stand cliche', but appropriate in this case).

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
Vets should get points and NOT absolute preference. Absolute preference is ridiculuous. I have seen VETS with a 70 get on some departments. If you score a 70 on a civil service exam you are either a moron or someone that should have their IQ checked, probably a borderline retard. State Police system is fair and gives two points. Why shouldn't someone get the job with a 102 (score and experience points) over a vet with a 70, where's the fairness then. Maybe they're afraid that if you gave a vet only two points or five, they might never get on any department. America is all about equality for all, this plus affirmative action stinks. I hope Romney will address this non-sense as well.

·
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JB!

Right on DUDE! Points, not top of the heap would be fair. Maybe a two tier system like Combat=4 points, Active duty and other=2 points!?!?

When you look at Police experience formula also,
Would think that would recognize everybody, and still give combat vets the nod. It would seem to be more equitable

·
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by mpd61:
Okay,
lets get a thread started so as not to get pegged with the "Off Topic" citation.
Ahhhh.....OK, So WTF happened to the poll? What the devil was so politically incorrect about it being in "fired up-hot topics"?

Oh well....Maybe I'm getting too old

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think veterans definitely deserve something for their sacrifice to our country. I totally agree with Masstrooper and Burner in that every person in the military deserves something not just people that got called to duty overseas. People that enlist in the military don't know what is going to happen to them or where they are going to be stationed so I think that if you enlisted and get called to active duty you should get some benefts. Military personnel stationed in the U.S. are just as important as personnel overseas are (just ask the people that were stationed at Pearl Harbor). Somebody has to protect our homeland. They are ALL very brave soldiers no matter where they are stationed or what they do, from the mechanic at Otis to the ground soldier in Afghanistan. Every person has to do their part for our military to be successful. You are only as strong as your weakest link. Now I don't think they should be given absolute preference but at least a couple points on a test. If a vet got a 95 on the MSP test and 2 points for being a vet=97. That might be good enough to get them an interview but if they are not capable of handling the job then this would be seen in the interview process and they probably wouldn't get the job. That is why I think they should be given only a couple points and not total preference. A couple points on a test, although it will help, will not automatically get you a job. There are many other things you need to go through before you are offered a job. A couple of points but not absolute preference is what I think should be given.

.... and by the way I was never in the military. Am I probably going to get passed over for a job for someone in the military? Very likely, but I chose an education over the military and that is the choice I have to live with and I am happy with my choice. For people that complain about the vet preference, go join nobody is stopping you from joining. For people that think going to school isn't a sacrifice, 4 years=$100,000 where I went and I paid for it myself (lots of loans of course). One hundred grand is a big sacrafice for me, but I am glad I did it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.