Vetern Cop Collapses, Dies On Duty | MassCops

Vetern Cop Collapses, Dies On Duty

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by Inspector, Oct 2, 2008.

  1. Inspector

    Inspector Subscribing Member

    Reading, PA - A longtime Reading police officer who served as the department's "downtown ambassador" died Wednesday after he collapsed next to his patrol car, officials said.

    Anthony Miccicke, 66, collapsed about 10 a.m. near Ninth and Cherry streets.

    A passer-by saw him on the ground and called 9-1-1. Scores of police responded to a call reporting an "officer down," and Miccicke was rushed to Reading Hospital by ambulance.

    Dr. Dosik Kim pronounced Miccicke dead in Reading Hospital at 1 p.m., according to Berks County Coroner Dennis J. Hess.

    An autopsy is scheduled today in Reading Hospital.

    News of Miccicke's death spread quickly through the department.

    "Everybody's going to miss Tony," Chief William M. Heim said. "He certainly was a character, and a lot of young officers learned from him.

    "He had a variety of assignments throughout his career and is certainly going to be missed."

    Heim said he had spoken with Miccicke's family and plans to talk with them again to hear their wishes for a memorial service.

    A 38-year veteran of the force, Miccicke's career had come full circle and ended where it began.

    His son, Anthony F. Miccicke, a volunteer city firefighter, said his dad began as a traffic cop directing cars through downtown Reading.

    "He directed traffic at Fourth and Penn streets and used to stand on the manhole cover to keep warm in the winter," the young Miccicke said, adding that his father never considered retiring. "He went to work every day and he loved the job. I guess it's best that he died doing what he loved."

    Miccicke wore many hats in the department during his career.

    After directing traffic, he worked as a patrolman and later was a canine officer for about 18 years.

    He became a criminal investigator in the juvenile division, then moved to the turnkey office, where he fingerprinted and photographed everyone who had been arrested in the city.

    A few years ago he was picked for a new position walking a beat downtown on Penn Street as a liaison between the department and the community.

    His son said he was a little apprehensive about being out on the street as a patrolman after so many years working inside, but quickly grew to love the assignment.

    "Once he got back out there and realized that everyone recognized him and remembered him from so many years before, he loved it," Miccicke said.

    Fellow officers said he always was upbeat and happy. He was part of the department's honor guard and would appear at funerals, parades and other functions.

    Miccicke grew up in a three-room farmhouse in Cumru Township with 18 brothers and sisters and moved to the 300 block of North Ninth Street after he got married.

    Before he got a job as a police officer, he did manual labor at his brother's sign business.

    One of the highlights of his career happened in the early 1970s, according to his son.

    He was assigned to stand guard at the Reading Public Museum protecting a rock that astronauts had brought back from the moon. Thousands of people lined up for a glimpse.

    The younger Miccicke said another highlight of his father's career was his involvement in the investigation of the beheading of 41-year-old Stanley T. Detweiler in his home on South Fifth Street on July 25, 1987. Miccicke helped catch the killers, John Calvaresi and Michael Boettlin Jr.

    When he was not walking the beat, Miccicke worked security at Berks County parks and at Maple Grove Raceway. Any free time he had left was spent fishing, friends said.
    Jason Kahl,
  2. Kilvinsky

    Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

    Still out doing the job when he could have been retired. Hat's off to him and may he go with God.
  3. MSP75

    MSP75 Guest

    God bless and Rest in Peace.

Share This Page