Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently returned home to Dracut, after a 5 year stint with the Army. I was an 11B Infantryman for both the 3rd and 4th Infantry divisions. I want to become an officer, but am having trouble. I cant seem to find out when the next Civil Service exam is being held. Also, any tips on getting hired? I am a veteran and am pursuing my certification as an EMT. I am also looking into getting my license to carry a firearm. What else do I need to be doing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the next civil service exam is until next year. You could apply to towns that aren't civil service, I think the state HR web site has those towns listed. Your best bet is to start looking into reserve academies and seeing what departments might be hiring reserves. Also, to get your feet in the door, maybe start applying for dispatch positions so that when it comes time to hire, people within the department will be familiar with you. You also might want to start looking into college police departments. Many (if not all) give their own tests and are scheduled separate from civil service. Many college departments are just as good (if not better!) than some municipal departments as far as pay, equipment, etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Honestly you really dont need to do anything to get your foot in the door so to speak. Your a vet, next exam is in april take it and even if you get a 70 I guarantee you will land in the top three on the list, then just wait for the town to hire. Go to college if you want,but dont waste your money on the reserve academy, like I said you will end up in the top 3 so you will get hired, unless Dracut has many veterans, thats something you should find out.

G

·
You could get some experience by joiining a reserve force. Isn't Haverhill close by? They have an auxiliary department.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.