Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing my own vest with my tax return $$. I currently have one that was supplied by my department and is rather uncomfortable (it rides up on me in the cruiser or while moving around). I feel getting measured properly for a vest and then purchasing one would be best.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best thing to do, where to go, and what to get?

My only considerations at this point are a level IIIA vest that does not contain Zylon.

I was considering getting it at MHQ in West Roxbury (where I can get measured as well), but wanted to hear some opinions and recommendations on the subject.

Thanks!

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
I would go with a non zylon second chance. I have had 4 vest in my carreer. My current vest is a Gator Hawk. :twisted: It is a piece of shit ! ! ! ! ! ! !
The most unconfortable vest I have ever had. It replaced my Second chance ultima, The most confortable vest I ever had. But it had one minor flaw the Zylon degraded and we all no the rest of the story. Prior to the zylon vest I had a Second Chance Monarch. It was a great vest. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a Second Chance Monarch purchased at MHQ. I don't know if they have Zylon, maybe I should? It fits great (obviously they measured me for it), and it's very comfortable. I have no idea what it costs though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i would also go with second chance....

my last agency issued us first choice out of brockton, after a second modification the vest was a bit more comfortable......they run 1000 bucks for the vest.

it's currently protecting a small piece of my attic floor right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Zero-G from Safariland. It's comfortable (mostly) and it fits well. I have noticed, however, that several people I work with had bad measurements taken, which made the vest very uncomfortable.

Also, almost everyone I know who has a Gator Hawk vest absolutely hates it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Frank,

Stay away from the lower end Galls varieties. Spend the money if you have it. Those things are horrendus! Very thick and very heavy.

G

·
I m lookn at the zero-g level IIIA in the gold line series and have heard great things about it from the officers who currently are wearing one. They are a bit pricey(1000 or so ) but worth the money if it does its job of keepn me cool and comfy all day. I m with the DNR and always having to chase retards through the woods in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity is alot harder to do if your not in the right vest! You should only have to fight the bad guys not your vest.

·
Subscribing Member
1,362 Posts
Another vote for Second Chance. The one that I wear is the second chance monarch summit it is comfortable, light and flexible.

G

·
I was fitted for a new vest today and got a chance to try on a couple different actual vests. I was lookn at the zero-g in the gold series and was conviced that was what I wanted but man am I glad the rep had the vests with him to check out! The zero-g was ok but it didnt fit as nice as the Xtreme that I decided to go with in the end, not to mention it was 300 bucks cheaper than the zero-g! These two vests were identicle to the T, all for except the way the edges were cut. The zero-g had contoured edges instead of square cut edges that the Xtreme had. Now you would think the contoured cut was more to my liking but the oppisite was true. I m getting the vest from C.M.P Distributers INC. in Detroit and they have great prices on alot of law enforcement equipment. I think I m paying 550 for the vest, two carriers, and a soft trama plate(vest is a level IIIA). The rep I talked to there is Jody and her number is 1-866-721-0970

·
Registered
243 Posts
Second Chance Monarch Summit with the new Apex carrier :D ! I just got one, and after 8 years of wearing Safariland vests, I am very satisfied. More comfortable, and flexible. 8)

G

·
i recently got a point blank legacy with the titanium trauma plates and the newly designed carrier. Im very happy with it, souldnt think of going with a diff manufacturer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you are forking over your own money, I'll share a tip that I got on another LE forum a number of years ago.

After you do all your research on WHAT to buy, take a look at eBay!

I was able to buy a brand new 2nd Chance Monarch Level II (all Kevlar) with T-15 plate for $195.00!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I sold ABA (American Body Armor) when I worked at the police supply store, and I own one myself, I would recommend this vest its a little pricey but worth it cofortable and breathes well. Safariland Gold is another excellent vest, I don't like Point Blank or Second Chance. As far as protection 2 or 3A is fine, 2A ia a little light but will stop a .40cal or 9mm. 2 will stop up to a 44mag same for 3A which is supposed to stop a shot gun blast.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
fishdonteatpancakes";p="66112 said:
II m with the DNR and always having to chase retards through the woods .
Sounds like you're chasing your own tail and putting your foot in your mouth at the same time!
:shock:

·
1,952 Posts
I have a First Choice right now (II) and an old old old Second Chance (IIA). Second Chance has filed for bankrupcey and is currently in a legal battle with the Federal Gov. because of the Zylon. Pesonally, I don't feel safe using any of their vests. If they rush, make false claims, and mass produce one product who says not on the other.

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update...I have ordered a Safariland Zero-G level IIIA vest. I'll let you all know how much I love it better than my current Safariland HyperLite when I get it sometime in September. ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
frank said:
I am considering purchasing my own vest with my tax return $$. I currently have one that was supplied by my department and is rather uncomfortable (it rides up on me in the cruiser or while moving around). I feel getting measured properly for a vest and then purchasing one would be best.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best thing to do, where to go, and what to get?

My only considerations at this point are a level IIIA vest that does not contain Zylon.

I was considering getting it at MHQ in West Roxbury (where I can get measured as well), but wanted to hear some opinions and recommendations on the subject.

Thanks!
i'd go US Armor all the way. they have a new lev 2 ith a built in stab plate.... sweet!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts