Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am holding off sending my application in to the VSP to take their upcoming exam. I was hoping some of you might know what it's like up there. Do they hire a lot and is it easier to get on up there than around here? I'm just putting in applications to any openings I may be interested in ( I'm also taking the NYPD exam ), as I know how civil circus works around here and it never hurts to have back-ups! Thanks for any info anyone can offer on Vermont!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll tell you know what I know from my experience with them. The vtsp.org website is very informative and will answer many of your possible questions. I was 19 when I applied, which is the minimum age that you can be.

Day 1 testing consists of a written exam at around 9:00am, the'll give you an hour and a half for 100 questions. While it's certaintly not a difficult test, you do need to move quickly, as I saw a few people that didn't come close to finishing. There's going to be some math, but mostly reading comprehension and writing a report from a bunch of statements type of questions. They'll then have you leave the classroom while they run the test through the scantron machines, and call you back into the room. They'll call your name if you passed, if you're not called, you failed. They do not give you your score.

Next they'll give you about an hour off before you move on to the physical test portion. They'll test body fat, sit and reach, DVR bench press, sit-ups, push-ups and a mile and a half run on a dirt road that does have an incline to it. The physical standards are posted on their website and are more difficult than most other departments. The run for me was brutal since I wasn't used to running in 5-10 degree weather, especially not on a dirt track covered in wet snow/melting ground/mud from the sun. You can earn up to 15 extra points by being in superior shape all around, so try to be in the best shape possible before you go to test.

If you pass the physical portion you'll then take the MMPI-2 written exam after being given the background packet to take home. You take the MMPI-2, hand it the packet, then head home. Next step will be an oral board interview after they get yout background packet.

Let me just tell you this, the Oral Board was brutal, I knew it was going to be and prepared my best, but it was still rough. Just try to prepare yourself as best you can as outlined by others on this board or in police prep books. The SGT told me I passed, but didn't score high, and they were only looking for 5 guys from 60 applicants, he said the Lt. would contact me. I ended up getting the rejection letter, probably due to the competition and my lower overall combined score.

The testing process is tough, they're a tough department to get on with even though you don't need a college degree to get on. I'm sure military/college will greatly help you though. You get 5 extra points for have being ex-military and 7 for being a native Vermonter, both which I wasn't eligible for since I'm from upstate NY.

So my advice for you would be to have clean record, get in damn good shape, and make yourself look as good as you can for that oral board interview. It seems to me that the Vermont State Police is a very difficult organization to get hired for in comparison to cities that hire lots of people like the NYPD.

Talk to EMcNeice, he made it through the whole process and is in the 3rd week of their brutual pre-basic academy. He won't be able to respond until the weekend at the earliest since it is a residential academy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I currently am a Trooper up here in VT. It is a great job, I love it. We do not hire a lot of people we currently have a few vacancies (10+). We have about 300 troopers. The oral board is very hard and the physical fitness standards are higher than others I have seen and we must maintain the minimum level throughout our career. It is quicker to be hired up here than in most places in MA. The pay is alright it sucks to start with 33k about after 1 year it is 39 then after 3 year it is about 47k. Any other questions let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts