Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many mistakes and outright false information in this article I have a hard time reposting it, but it is an interesting story:

Valuable WWII Gun at Police Buy-Back

By Annie Rose Ramos | ABC News Blogs - Mon, Dec 10, 2012 9:21 PM EST

• int

(Image credit: NECN)
Just like a scene out of "Antiques Roadshow," a woman in Hartford, Conn., turned in an old rifle to her local police station's gun buy-back, only to discover the gun was worth anywhere from $20,000 to $25,000. The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, inherited the gun from her father who had brought it home with him from Europe as a memento from World War II.

The two officers conducting the gun buy-back, who are resident gun experts for the Hartford Police Department, informed the owner she was in possession of a Nazi Assault Rifle, the first of its kind, that dates back to 1944.
The gun is called a Sturmgewehr 44, literally meaning "storm rifle," and is the first "modern assault rifle ever made, eventually replaced by the AK 47 in 1947 by Russia, who copied the German design of the Sturmgewehr 44," Officer Lewis Crabtree, one of the two officers who discovered the gun, told ABC News.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...-buy-back-022155231--abc-news-topstories.html

1. The Sturmgewehr was never "replaced" by the AK-47, the rifles were in fact from different armies and different countries who were mortal enemies during WWII.
2. The AK-47 does not steal design elements from the STG-44. In fact, the AK-47 owes more of its rotating bolt system to the M-1 Garand, which Kalishnikov admitted he copied.
2. 7.92x39mm ammunition is available from several sources.

G

·

That right there is the Grand Daddy of "assault rifles"
If it were introduced a couple of years earlier, it could have changed the tide of the war. It dwarfed the Garand, never mind the bolt-action Mosin-Nagant rifles used by the Soviets.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
How about that. An assault weapon sat in a closet for almost 70 years and never hurt anybody. Never let itself out to go on a murderous rampage or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
6,645 Posts
Good on them for spotting it, rather than just tossing it on the melt pile.
Guns are valuable parts of inheritances and property, too many get "turned in" and disappear.

Reactions: Goose and 7costanza
G

·
Good on them for spotting it, rather than just tossing it on the melt pile.
Guns are valuable parts of inheritances and property, too many get "turned in" and disappear.
Several years ago, I was getting some items from the evidence room for a trial (back when I actually went to court), and saw a vintage, pristine Browning Auto-5 shotgun, with intricate decorative engraving, in a trash barrel, ready for the smelter. It absolutely broke my heart to think about it being destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
6,645 Posts
I have seen widows bring in valuable items (including an original auto Thompson) and they go bye bye without a receipt or even a hint of how valuable they are. People seem to think they have to hand these "dangerous" items over ti the police, and often aren't informed that a FFL can take possession and help with a sale.
Theres also a dick who owns a shop called Yankee Artifacts. He takes in guns from PD's for "storage" and charges the owner insanely high fees, that often end up being more than the gun is worth, then he sells the guns for pure profit. He also has shady deals, where he is the sole buyer of abandoned and confiscated guns from departments.

Some states (NH is one I think) have laws stating guns from buyback programs and the like shall NOT be destroyed.

Reactions: mpd61

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Theres also a dick who owns a shop called Yankee Artifacts. He takes in guns from PD's for "storage" and charges the owner insanely high fees, that often end up being more than the gun is worth, then he sells the guns for pure profit. He also has shady deals, where he is the sole buyer of abandoned and confiscated guns from departments.

Some states (NH is one I think) have laws stating guns from buyback programs and the like shall NOT be destroyed.
As an Antiques Roadshow watcher and antiques lover in general I can say that these people that "appraise" items are usually going to throw out some low ball appraisal in an attempt to get you to sell the item, they usually will offer to buy it right there and that would be the sign to get a few more appraisals.

G

·
I have seen widows bring in valuable items (including an original auto Thompson) and they go bye bye without a receipt or even a hint of how valuable they are. People seem to think they have to hand these "dangerous" items over ti the police, and often aren't informed that a FFL can take possession and help with a sale.

Occasionally I'll get a call concerning widows or other relatives who want to turn in guns of deceased family members. I give them the phone number of the Sportsman's Den in Quincy, they'll either buy them outright (at a fair price) or sell them on consignment.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Occasionally I'll get a call concerning widows or other relatives who want to turn in guns of deceased family members. I give them the phone number of the Sportsman's Den in Quincy, they'll either buy them outright (at a fair price) or sell them on consignment.
Yeah Ron is a good guy and doesn't strike me as the type to swindle. I send business to him as well.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
Sorry I came in late......
If you guys are looking for a legal, semi-auto, affordable version of the STG 44 in the economical .22lr here ya go!

https://www.americantactical.us/3108/detail.html

Oh yeah, forgot......since it only comes with a 25 round mag, I guess we're PHUKKED here in Mass....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts