Vacancy Notice Reporting | Page 2 | MassCops

Vacancy Notice Reporting

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by mca650, Oct 15, 2019.

1. mca650

mca650 New Member

Thank you for all your guys' advice, I really appreciate it!

2. mca650

mca650 New Member

Thank you!

3. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

If that is how you truly feel, then I think you need to re-evaluate. Think this through...

Instance 1: You show up in a suit and tie, everyone else is wearing their gym clothes, jeans and T-shirt’s, a couple guys with polo shirts. You are the best dressed person there, and that already starts you off a step above the rest. If you are graded based on appearance, you’ve already earned more points than everyone else. (Yes some departments will do this)

Instance 2: You show up in jeans and a polo. Everyone else is shirt and tie. You are assigned points, or otherwise noted to have dressed in casual clothing.

Which one sounds like you give yourself a better chance? And if you run into someone from administration that wants to chat, shake your hand, or even just look you up and down, which situation would you rather be in?

Best of luck.

4. MO1

MO1 MassCops Member

thank you, and yes I completely agree with you. I’d definitely rather be caught with a suit than without it!

5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

It's hard to stand out to a person who just isn't paying any attention and if the DO notice you, won't care to mention it to anyone, will just think to themselves, "Whatever."

pahapoika likes this.
  6. ShaggyChalet

ShaggyChalet New Member

I wish I had seen this earlier. I went last week and dressed in nice pants and a Polo. I looked OK, but would have been more comfortable in shirt and tie. I was not prepared for the half hour long spiel by the detective about the application process. I'm sitting pretty high so I have my fingers crossed

pahapoika likes this.
  7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

That's too bad. Sounds like somebody was power tripping. I signed a list in a basement of a very old building with a guy that could have been very well sleeping :D

Of course this is Boston so maybe they're still tripping out in the burbs ?

Did inmate transportation for a lot of years in and out of every courthouse in the state . Never got get gigged wearing business casual .

Some guys got carried away . They looked like mannequins out of a 5-11 store ;)

Anyways good luck !

Hush likes this.
  8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Semper Occultus

As long as you were dressed business casual to sign the piece of paper you’re fine. Just be sure to wear a shirt and tie when you go back to turn in the application package. Also be ready to write an essay when you go back as well and bring a working pen. The ones they handout for the most part didn’t work. Good luck

9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

First test, how does this kid work under pressure. Pen won't work, how does he handle this small stressful event?
    Guessing.
    Or, "Just give them anything, if they're not prepared, then screw 'em."

Hush and TheSnowman like this.
  10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Semper Occultus

I don’t think it’s anything as mean spirited as the latter. If I had to guess I’d say they are probably trying to budget themselves. After all Transit does a lot of forced over time and they need to pay their guys. What better place to start than cutting back on the expenses of the pens.

pahapoika and Kilvinsky like this.
  11. ShaggyChalet

ShaggyChalet New Member

You are so right about the pens...They sucked and I was glad I brought my own. Writing sample essay was pretty easy and luckily I didn't have any issues when I turned in my packet. I was sitting in the back though and there were some guys there that just didn't seem to get it. The detectives seemed pretty frustrated

pahapoika likes this.