Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six Virginia State Police troopers have resigned from their roles as chaplains within the department, saying their commander told them they could no longer mention Jesus Christ during public prayers.
The situation erupted into a heated political exchange Wednesday between two legislators and Gov. Timothy M. Kaine’s office.
Two Republican members of the House of Delegates criticized Kaine after state police Col. Steven Flaherty instructed the chaplains last week to offer non-denominational prayers at public events such as graduations and memorial services.
Kaine spokesman Gordon Hickey said the criticism was a political attack, and that Kaine supported Flaherty’s action because a recent court ruling made it necessary.
Six of the 17 troopers and officers who serve as state police chaplains have resigned, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.
Flaherty’s order did not affect the chaplains’ ability to mention Christ during funerals or when they counsel troopers privately, Geller said.
Del. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem and House majority leader, issued a news release saying, “With one misguided action, the Kaine administration has put the chaplains in an impossible position,” leaving them no choice but to resign.
Del. Charles W. “Bill” Carrico, R-Grayson County, joined Griffith in criticizing Kaine and Flaherty.
Griffith said Geller’s description of Flaherty’s instructions “backed off a little from what troopers were actually told” by the commander.
One of the troopers came away with an understanding that they weren’t supposed to mention Christ unless a trooper or relative requested it, Griffith said.
Geller said, “The Colonel did not consult with Governor Kaine nor his administration. This was an internal matter and an internal decision made alone by the superintendent.
“There was no written directive nor were chaplains specifically told in their meetings with the executive staff and colonel that they could not use ‘Jesus Christ’ in their prayer,” Geller said.
Carrico and Griffith said Flaherty’s order violated the chaplains’ First Amendment rights concerning freedom of religion.
Carrico said he was drafting legislation to overturn the action.
“This decision wasn’t based on any complaints about the chaplains, because I’ve been told there haven’t been any,” said Carrico, a former state trooper.
Flaherty’s office issued a statement Wednesday saying his instruction to chaplains was prompted by a federal appeals court ruling in July.
The ruling by a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a Fredericksburg City Council requirement that prayers during its meetings be non-sectarian.
Carrico said Flaherty’s new policy for chaplains was driven by “fear of getting a complaint, instead of actually having to deal with one.”
Carrico said he had no proof that Flaherty’s policy originated with Kaine’s office, but the governor’s office knew about the concerns and did not respond.
Hickey, Kaine’s spokesman, said, “Governor Kaine is a man of faith and has dedicated his life to that service.” For two years as a young man, Kaine worked with a Catholic missionary in Honduras.
“It is disappointing that Del. Griffith would make such a political attack on Governor Kaine’s faith,” Hickey said.
“I don’t believe I did,” Griffith responded. “We certainly attacked the administration’s policy.”
Griffith added, “I believe we are defending both his and my faith. Although I am not Catholic, I am a Christian.
“The last time I checked, the Catholic Church was in favor of Jesus Christ,” Griffith said.
“The problem is putting gag rules out there on folks” expressing their faith, the majority leader said.
Carrico said the role of trooper-chaplains was important after the Virginia Tech shootings April 16, 2007.
Chaplains notified families, helped them identify bodies, and counseled other troopers who worked on the shootings.
Troopers often face challenges in “dealing with the emotional issues caused by the number of deaths they have to deal with — things that people don’t normally see,” Carrico said.
“State police have psychological counseling” available for troopers, he said, “but some people would rather talk to someone who has really been there and seen it,” such as another trooper.
“These guys are very effective,” Carrico said.
NEWS & ADVANCE

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Just like the Obama shirt contraversy...someone should now do that...when they let them...BINGO....jeds a millionaire

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
As we continue with the dismantling of our culture and values...
Thank you 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, you liberal lamebrains.

1 more brick; DONE.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,540 Posts
"Let us bow our heads and thank, whatever is out there for the good we have in our lives. May something protect us and watch over us. May an ambiguous cloud hide us from the wrath of some potentially evil whachtamacallit and forever be a guide and inspiration to whatever kind of values we may individually hold. We ask this in the name of some vague notion of a type of higher being along the lines of Mother Nature. Am.....uhm, A person of no specific gender."

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
"Let us bow our heads and thank, whatever is out there for the good we have in our lives. May something protect us and watch over us. May an ambiguous cloud hide us from the wrath of some potentially evil whachtamacallit and forever be a guide and inspiration to whatever kind of values we may individually hold. We ask this in the name of some vague notion of a type of higher being along the lines of Mother Nature. Am.....uhm, A person of no specific gender."
Awesome! May I use this? LOL!

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,540 Posts
You may indeed use it, Go with the spirituality of the oak tree who's leaves do grace us with shade in times of heat and was born of a gaseous cloud through the wonders of nature's god like being.

I better quit here before some Unitarian/Universalist gets pissed at me thinking I'm making fun of their religion, which I AM NOT!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Unreal!! What is wrong with people. They keep taking things away because of reference to god. Like many schools have stopped saying the Pledge of Allegiance because of the line "one nation under god,". When I was a kid in school and a another student had a religous faith that did not believe in "god" they would just stand or sit there silently. What is wrong with that? Nothing. If we were in another country would they change a tradition for us? I doubt it. Why do we have to change our traditional cultural values for others?!?! I understand that people are of various religious faiths - that's fine, don't say Pledge of allegiance, I can understand that. But why must everyone else change something that has been done for over a century (the pledge was written in 1892 and was used by public schools almost immediately after it was written).

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Not sure how many of you have seen the new one dollar coin the Government put out, I had an email sent to me from my Father explainig it. It had the word God removed from In God We Trust...so if your getting change from anyplace look at and if it has that do not except it, hopfully we get it taken out of circulation...maybe someone else here knows what Im talking about..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just checked the $1 Andrew Jackson coin in my pocket. Has "In God we Trust" on the rim only, not on the face of the coin. Not sure if this is the new one you are referring too...

Scary times..

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Here it is...the pic didnt come out..just close your eyes and picture it..
God's hand of protection has been upon this Nation from the beginning. We served Him, honored Him and worshiped Him. We lived by the truths written in His Word (Bible). Our Constitution was inspired by the truths of His word. Things have been changing drastically, decade by decade. God's hand of protection is being lifted and His wrath is upon this Nation. The more we remove Him, the more danger we are in. Believe it or not, it is the truth! Just as it says below. We are in enough trouble without this too! We would be wise to put God back into our lives, humble ourselves before Him, acknowledge Him in all our ways. He will heal our land. He says so! (II Chor 7:14). If you don't know Him, seek Him out, He says that you will find Him. He can be found in the person of Jesus Christ! (Rev 30:20)

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE!

The switch has begun!
R efuse to accept these when they are handed back to you. I received one from the Post Office as change and I asked for a dollar bill instead. The lady just smiled and said, 'Way to go,' so she had read this e-mail. Please help out. Our world is in enough trouble without this too!

U.S. Government to Release New Dollar Coins

You guessed it
IN GOD WE TRUST' IS GONE!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Is it gone from the coin, or just in a different place?
The US Mint web site references In God We Trust...
These coins feature larger, more dramatic artwork, as well as edge-incused inscriptions of the year of minting or issuance, "E Pluribus Unum," "In God We Trust" and the mint mark.
U.S. Mint Presidential Coins

In fact, they're already selling the Obama coin... (Except they charge you $1.00, but it's only worth $0.40...)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.