Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK any of u who came down to my neck of the woods for that test, how did it compare to the MA Civil Circus? what can I expect, i had to wait until after surgery/con leave to take the test.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just a word to the wise...coming from a friend who lives in the city but works for Newport News...don't even bother applying to VA Beach unless you are either a veteran or have a Master's in a related field (CJ, sociology, etc.). I've known about a half dozen highly-qualified people, two with more than ten years full-time employment here in the Bay State, who did not make the cut in VA Beach. None of them were vets, and none had anything more than a four-year degree.

That said, it's a department I have considered working for, would actually love to if I knew I could make it, but I just don't bother applying because I know it's a waste of my time without hainvg been on active duty and only have a Bachelor's degree...dare I mention I am getting a little up there in age as well :roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
sgtmvm";p="64259 said:
Just a word to the wise...coming from a friend who lives in the city but works for Newport News...don't even bother applying to VA Beach unless you are either a veteran or have a Master's in a related field (CJ, sociology, etc.). I've known about a half dozen highly-qualified people, two with more than ten years full-time employment here in the Bay State, who did not make the cut in VA Beach. None of them were vets, and none had anything more than a four-year degree.

That said, it's a department I have considered working for, would actually love to if I knew I could make it, but I just don't bother applying because I know it's a waste of my time without hainvg been on active duty and only have a Bachelor's degree...dare I mention I am getting a little up there in age as well :roll:
You never know until you try..... Plus it makes a great vaca if you take it in the summertime.
Your friends may have had a"difficult" time passing their recruitment process. Especially if they can't hack the poly. I know of 2 people that got hired by them both only with 4 year degrees and no vet status.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A little bit of math, some grammar and vocabulary spelling and whatnot all in all a 55 question test. They give you time limits that are ok about 1 minute to a minute and a half per question. the test is split into three separate timed sections.
Hope this helps.
any more questions just ask, i took the test April 9th.

I have a Masters so hopefully i can get in.

·
Subscribing Member
4,346 Posts
One of my friends is a police officer for Fairfax County Police Department in VA and he loves it. Lots of action, huge department, lots of details, OT and specialties.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks ryan, I will check it out. I am gonna start my ride alongs with the area VA PD's I am checking into the state police also. the thing i like the most about the area PD's here is that I can start the application process down here now while I am still active duty.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
USMCMP5811 said:
Jake,

Also look into Henrico County Sherrifs Office in Richmond. Probably about a 1/2 hour to 45 min north of where you are now. If your into NASCAR, their the most prominate detail guys at Richmond International Raceway..
thanks,

They have a Flyer at the career transition office. i am looking into every where. cause I doubt I am gonna get any jobs in MA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.