US's most powerful nuclear bomb being dismantled | Page 2 | MassCops

US's most powerful nuclear bomb being dismantled

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Oct 25, 2011.

1. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

History Detectives lied to me, dam that Henry Louis Gates.Myth of the Hellcat. To straighten out the myth of the airplane, the Hellcat was not produced "in answer" to the Japanese Zero, which would be its major wartime opponent; it would have been impossible to designan airplane starting in 1942 (following the discovery of the Zero in the Aleutians that August) that would have had any hope of getting into production in the required timescale. The Hellcat was already in preliminary design stages well before the outbreak of the Pacific War, and first flew about the time of the Battle of Midway. What was indeed fortunate was that both Grumman and the "Fighter Desk" of the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics had paid attention to what was going on in Europe with regards to air combat. They guessed right in giving the Hellcat the biggest wing of any Second World War fighter for maneuverability, and thelargest ammunition capacity, to improve its ability as a fleet defense fighter. They were fortunate that the airframe was amenable to initial change from the underpowered R2600 to the farsuperior R2800, the finest radial piston engine ever built. With this engine, the airplane had sufficient power to outfly its opposition.The Hellcat first entered combat in the fall of 1943, as the Navy was beginning the Central Pacific Offensive, with squadrons based aboard both the big "Essex" class fleet carriers, and the "Independence" class light carriers which were based on cruiser hulls. The U.S. Navy was the only air force of the Second World War to insure its fighter pilots went into combat knowing what to do both with their airplanes and their weapons. With this superior gunnery training, many Hellcat pilots became an “ace in a day" in the swirling air battles that began over Truk in early 1944, and then moved on across the Central Pacific with the invasions of the Marshalls and Marianas later that yea

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I definitely like the Hellcat, but my vote for sexiest fighter of WWII has to go to the P-51D Mustang;

View attachment 3198

3. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

4. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

A few years ago I was in AZ on a family trip and ended up at a fighter jet museum. Got to see many of these beauts you guys are talking about on display. That and a wall depicting the story of all of Americas Aces through the years.

If I ever go back, I will be be sure to look the place up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

5. Was that the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, near the aircraft boneyard? I lived very close to that place for 9yrs, but never made myself go. I guess it seemed like one of those tourist attractions that never became a priority because I lived there, drove past it almost every day.

Sent from my ADR6300

6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

The Hellcat was a refined derivitive of the it's predecessor, the Wildcat...

The p-51 Mustang???? "Cadillac of the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I believe it was. I remember it being just outside the airport and it wasn't Sky Harbor so most likely it was Tucson

8. Yep, it's just a few miles down the road from the airport. Great place to visit for anyone visiting the Tucson area. I wish I'd gone while I lived there.

Sent from my ADR6300

9. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Dismantling that bomb sounds as logical as cancelling your life insurance.