US's most powerful nuclear bomb being dismantled | MassCops

US's most powerful nuclear bomb being dismantled

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

2. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Uhhhhh... why? Because the bad guys promised to as well?

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wipes sweat off brow... "Oh shit it was supposed to be the red wire!!"

4. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

I told you not to press the red button!

5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Why disassemble it? Keep it in ready Storage.

6. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I would love to blame Obama, but I bet it has ended its service life & is not worth maintaining.

Sent from my ADR6300

7. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Blame Obama, as I understand it its part of his unilateral disamement plan to appease his base and make everyone us.

8. kwflatbed

Why dismantle it ??? If you want to get rid of it drop it in the sandbox, problems all solved.

9. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

9 MEGATONS slung under a supersonic B-58 Hustler!!! This and the first George Washington Class SSBN's are what kept the Soviets at bay in the 60's...

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That was my favorite plane as a kid, I remember buying a model of it at Child World in Quincy and building it at my kitchen table.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Indeed....that store is now empty, but once in awhile I'll drive past and shine the spotlight to look at the inside, imagining the numerous shelves fillled with toys that used to so excite me as a kid.

As MSP75 mentioned, the landmarks of my childhood are slowly but surely dying.

12. kwflatbed

I can remember hauling around the clock out of Avon for Child World
    during the Christmas season.

13. mpd61

Bruce! I built a couple of them along with my favorite, the F-106 Delta Dart. That B-58 Hustler was an aluminum hotrod though!

14. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I've always been partial to the Hellcat, the nemesis to the Zero of WW2.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The one in Dedham is gone, it's an Ocean State Job Lot now.

16. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Actually, this particular weapon was quite outdated and probably not really very realistically war capable today anyways. Our nukes are much more accurate than Russian nukes, hence we usually have them in a strategic packages of less than 500 kilotons. Take the fuel and and recycle it for more modern nuclear weapons.

17. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I'd like to co-opt the A-7 Corsair's unofficial motto for the Hustler... "Ugly but well hung" and I mean that with affection, not derision.

[​IMG]

18. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

Sucker must have been ear bleeding loud with 4 F-4 engines.

19. mpd61

Talk about outdated...I used to sleep under a SUBROC in 1987 (hiding from the asshole XO) no wonder my hair fell out LOL!!!!!

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm with you on the F-4 Phantom....I think that was the only fighter plane adopted by the Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps at the same time.

21. Johnny Law

I bid on and won a 1/32 F4C/D Phantom on Ebay this summer. I am in total agreement that the F4 is a classic airframe, sort of like the '57 Chevy of planes. Now to build that sucker and then display it is going to take some serious real estate in my house.

22. 7costanza

I have plenty of time and a brand new bottle of super glue JL. I was thinking more of the importance of the Hellcat. At that time we had nothing to compare to the Zero. Enter the Hellcat, 55 miles an hr faster, able to climb 10,000 ft higher. History Detctives did a great piece on a few parts found from a downed Zero on the Island of Niihu during Pearl Harbor. The pilot was taken hostage by the locals, they had no idea Pearl Harbor had even happened but they knew something was wrong since he was a Jap in a bullett riddled plane on US soil. They held him captive and an American Japanese turned traitor freed him, they got the mg off the plane and terrorized the Village killing many. A civilain killed the shooter and was shot 3 times, he received a Purple Heart and a Certificate of Merit for his actions. Shortly after that Roosevelt decided to make those endearment camps for Japs in the US.

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I read that the Hellcat was responsible for more air-to-air kills in the Pacific than all other Allied fighters combined.

The U.S. developed an even more bad-ass fighter to replace the Hellcat, the F8F Bearcat, but it arrived too late to see combat action in WWII;

Grumman F8F BearcatĀ Carrier-Borne Fighter / Interceptor Aircraft - History, Specs and Pictures - Military Aircraft

24. 7costanza

Getting a ride in one of those old fighters is at the top of my bucket list.

25. Johnny Law

The only thing I want for Christmas this year is a really good airbrush so that I can paint the camo pattern on that F4 kit. 7, a company called Trumpeter makes a 1/32 scale Hellcat, get it, build it, enjoy the living shit out of it!

Trumpeter 1/32 F6F-5N Hellcat by Tom Cleaver (I am not Tom Cleaver, this was a google search)

I've got more models of armor, aircraft and cars/trucks than I have time to build in my lifetime!