Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a local firearms dealer about a shotgun for home defense and he suggested a used pd shotgun. I have no idea what sort of use or abuse a typical one of these is likely to have survived. My assumption is that they spend most of their life locked to the dash of a cruiser. Is it possible this could be a good way to save some cash and still get a reliable gun, or do departments usualy not sell off firearms untill they are completely hashed?:confused:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
This is something that is best looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some departments check shotguns in-and-out like bowling shoes, with officers treating the shotguns like rental cars. Some departments assign shotguns to individual officers, with a corresponding higher level of TLC. Other departments either let officers buy them on a stipend or simply privately purchase shotguns. Its different from every department; some shotguns look like they spend their shift at the bottom of swamp, others look showroom ready. Years ago I purchased a used Manchester PD Remington 870 in excellent condition, that continues to give stellar performance.

Don't get hung up on the "police" shotgun moniker. Just because a store bought a police shotgun for short money, doesn't mean they'll pass that savings on the the customers. Remington 870's and other types of pump-action shotguns are among the most rugged weapons available. Gun stores will have many used ones for sale, and as long as they are mechanically sound, they will give many years of faithful service.

For a "home defense" shotgun look for a barrel length of 20 inches or less. At least a four-round magazine capacity (hopefully more). Bead or ghost-ring sights are the preferred sighting system, as they are the fastest and easiest to use. Rifle sights are more accurate at distance, but slower to get on. Avoid the "cool" looking pistol-grip only shotguns, as they have poor accuracy potential. Get a 12 gauge, if you can handle the recoil, as the best defensive loads are made in 12 gauge.

As far as defensive loads go, I am extremely partial to the Federal Tactical Increased Accuracy 00 buck. The Fed Tac buck can throw all of its pellets into a human-sized target as far away as 25-28 yards. Avoid slugs for home-defense use as their large mass leads to massive penetration and potential safety concerns. In tests we were able to shoot standard 12 gauge slugs through 10 drywall walls.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
I wouldnt kill myself trying to find a pd shotgun, yes theyre out there but you can get a decent Remington 870, Mossberg or Winchester pump shotgun with a 20 in barrel at most places very reasonably. Avoid the pistol grip as it is a bitch to control if you dont have experience. You dont really need an extended magazine, 4 or 5 rounds of reduced recoil buckshot is plenty. With the money you save buy some ammo and practice because you still have to hit the target.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on if it was issued to one officer or many, if it was properly maintained, not abused...I think no matter what you'll see scratched up receivers and barrels, the stocks are going to have some character as well. But hey, it's a shotgun, you don't need a pristine barrel or a mirror shiny stock to send a load of 00 buck into harm's way. A Remington 870 is not all that sophisticated so barring abuse if you can get a good deal on a police trade it should do what you want. Otherwise you could always pick up a generic 870 and dress it up for HD: topfolder stock, shell carrier, extended mag and a flashlight mount.
I know your post was regarding an 870 shotugn, but how about a revolver? Try the new Taurus "Judge." Its a revolver that can handle a 3" .410 shotgun shell, and .454 Casull round in the same cylinder. I have shot it and it is very easy on the hands w/ both rounds, plus the capability and flexibility of a .410 for home defense. Won't over penetrate, easy to conceal, and carry and the wife won't be afraid to use it. Just a thought.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=41

My error, saved wrong quote, sorry. !!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,767 Posts
You know an awful lot about guns for a tv repairman...
I tought him everything he knows in exchange for knowledge like the difference between 1080p and 1080i etc...

Seriously, wolfie IS a very knowledgeable guy for a "T.V. repairman" Just remember that Casey Ryback was "just a cook" and look at the shit he unleashed.
;)

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
You know an awful lot about guns for a tv repairman...
He's an "all-service" TV repairman.

Won't over penetrate, easy to conceal, and carry and the wife won't be afraid to use it.
Most .410 loads are rather sedate vs. human opponents, and if you decide to use .45 Colt round instead, a Smith or Ruger revolver is a better option. Concealability is not much of a factor with "home defense" guns, as they are intended for use at home, hence the focus on full sized shotguns.

·
8,767 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as I was told by a gun dealer when I inquired about this weapon a few months ago... currently Taurus is non-compliant. When required a few years ago, by the AG's office to conform to its standards, Taurus did not wish to comply. Therefore, along with Kimber and Springfield Arms to name a few, did not submit any weapon for testing, and are non-compliant to be SOLD in MA. However, as I was told, since we hold a valid LTC, there is nothing to prevent someone from going out of state and purchasing this weapon and legally carrying in in MA. Our LTC does not specify whether a firearm must be sold in MA, to be carried in MA. Recently, Taurus has instituted several of the requirements in order to be MA compliant, but they have not submitted any weapons for testing. Some of the changes were:
a. round in the chamber indicator
b. hammer safety lock (to prevent it from firing if dropped)
c. internal locking device (supplied key)
The only test the he was not aware of in order to become compliant, was a test where it is dropped from a distance of 8' and must not go off. Other than that, they meet the AG's requirements to be sold, but have not offered a weapon. They are currently very difficult to get and are on backorder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really? Funny how I bought a gun in Kittery w/o a problem. Also since he advised me that it was done numerous times w/o a problem, since I asked him the same question. I guess there are lots of people in violation then.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpfull all in all. I'm only considering the pd gun because my dealer thinks he can get me one (a winchester, not sure of the model) in good shape for a little over $200. Otherwise I think the 870s can be had for around $300 new. Guess it comes down to the individual piece my guy can get and weather I have a chance to give it a good look before buying. If not I'll just spring for something new. As far as the wife goes, she grew up in Nebraska. She's seen a 12 guage or two in her lifetime.;)

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
not sure how other departments do it , but if it's a "range" gun or first one out of the rack everytime it might have seen some hard use at the range.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I've seen NH residents at Kittery buy handguns, but then the salesman gets in car, heads across to the NH border to actually transfer the gun there, hence nullifying federal law against handgun interstate transfer to private citizens. I've never seen it done for any other non Maine residents.

·
Duke of Campus Police
518 Posts
are non-compliant to be SOLD in MA. However, as I was told, since we hold a valid LTC, there is nothing to prevent someone from going out of state and purchasing this weapon and legally carrying in in MA. Our LTC does not specify whether a firearm must be sold in MA, to be carried in MA. .
Except a couple of federal laws:rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, according to the gun dealer, there is nothing wrong with it. It's the same thing as going and buying a used gun out of state and bringing it in MA. There is nothing in the laws prohibiting this, at least nothing he knew of. If its a violation of Federal law, then there are alot of people running around in violation. I was unable to locate anything in MA laws prohibiting this or from transfer from private ownership from one person to another, regarding this.

·
8,767 Posts
Really? Funny how I bought a gun in Kittery w/o a problem. Also since he advised me that it was done numerous times w/o a problem, since I asked him the same question. I guess there are lots of people in violation then.
Yeah Mr. Snippity!!!

Which one then?
1. Long gun.
2. Mass Compliant Handgun (list) transferred to your FFL in Mass.

Cuz that's the only way a MASS resident can LEGALLY purchase something at Kittery and get it home. If you buy a Taurus Judge at Kittery and have it shipped back to MASS Dealer and he transfers it to you...
HE broke the law, and technically you conspired.

So answer the question or go away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The gun I purchased was a .22 S & W auto, and it was about 4 yrs ago. I produced my LTC and drivers license, and was able to carry it out w/o a problem. If I am in violation, arrest me. I never said that I purchased the Judge at Kittery, and I only gave info regarding this weapon. I said that I was given this information from a licensed gun dealer, so obviously you know more than he does. If he is in violation, arrest him. The way he was talking, there are alot of people in violation, so you are gonna be busy. I answered your question. As far as going away, I don't friggin think so.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The gun I purchased was a .22 S & W auto, and it was about 4 yrs ago. I produced my LTC and drivers license, and was able to carry it out w/o a problem. If I am in violation, arrest me. .
Sammy you're absolutely right! Tell these "know it alls" WTH dude. It's all in whether or not you get caught right? I bet you can score some crack and a BJ up in lowell and then come back here and say "arrest me" later
Go for it meathead!
:jestera::85565:

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
The gun I purchased was a .22 S & W auto, and it was about 4 yrs ago. I produced my LTC and drivers license, and was able to carry it out w/o a problem. If I am in violation, arrest me. I never said that I purchased the Judge at Kittery, and I only gave info regarding this weapon. I said that I was given this information from a licensed gun dealer, so obviously you know more than he does. If he is in violation, arrest him. The way he was talking, there are alot of people in violation, so you are gonna be busy. I answered your question. As far as going away, I don't friggin think so.
dude, you do realize there are alot of cops on this site.... right?

·
8,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts