Use of flashing blues and spot light | MassCops

Use of flashing blues and spot light

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by Mass Driver, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Mass Driver

Mass Driver New Member

I am used to being pulled over in the normal fashion. Typically my car is in a lane of travel, and moving (faster than the speed limit), when a LEO vehicle approaches from behind, with blues flashing, at which point I pull over, stop, turn the vehicle off, and wait.

An odd stop occurred and I'm confused because the situation was opposite of the normal procedure:

I was stopped on the side of the road, with the vehicle in park, while dropping off a passenger. I was stopped for less than 2 minutes, and it was not a lane of travel (although I may have been slightly hindering a bike lane, because of all the snow). While my passenger was exiting the vehicle (dome light on, door open, etc.) I noticed flashing blues in my driver side view mirror. After my passenger closed the door, I noticed flashing blues again, so I focused on the side view mirror. A LEO vehicle was parked behind me, IN THE LANE OF TRAVEL, with blues flashing, and then activated the spot light on my side view mirror, blinding me. So I remained in place, in case I was about to be detained/questioned.

The LEO deactivated the spot light. I still waited, then the spot was reactivated, and was focused on my side view/driver seat window, again blinding me. At this point I was confident that this indication was not due to an investigation, but more of a indication that I should move my vehicle. Given that the LEO was blocking the lane of travel, and there were no oncoming cars, I performed a u-turn. Again, I was half-blinded by a spot light, and directly in front of a LEO vehicle. If a u-turn was prohibited, it would be idiotic to perform one at that moment.

I was immediately pulled over, for illegal u-turn. I get it, if it's prohibited, you have to enforce the law. What I don't get is, if I was not being cited for a violation until after moving my vehicle, why was the LEO shining a spot and using flashing blues on me prior to the offense. How is that proper procedure?

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

It falls under community caretaking. Police Officers are allowed to use lights as they see fit when checking on disabled vehicles, fluffy the bunny hit in the middle of the street to prevent them from being hit, etc.

Would you walk up on a car if you could get your point across without having to contact someone and put yourself at risk if you didn't need to to perform your duties? It's no different than having the blues flashed at you when you are speeding and they just want you to slow down to a reasonable and prudent speed.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

RetPO likes this.
  3. Mass Driver

Mass Driver New Member

thanks, I will know their defense when I fight the ticket. I believe a LEO accepts the risk as part of the job, as opposed to putting a driver at risk by blinding them.

4. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

So you just admitted being blinded, but then pulled a U-turn? That's your ace in the hole, Acehole? He didn't force you to pull an illegal stunt, you did it all on your own

RetPO, right.as.rain and Goose like this.
  5. nemedic

nemedic MassCops Member

Why not just pull straight ahead into the lane the officer was helpfully blocking so that you could safely pull out, and turn around either on a side street, or away from the officer? If I'm "blinded", I'm sure as hell crossing opposing traffic instead of adjusting my mirrors and pulling straight out.

6. nemedic

nemedic MassCops Member

But, more importantly, did the cop have his hat on when he gave you the citation?

Murph5-0 and BxDetSgt like this.
  7. CaptinFocker

CaptinFocker MassCops Member

gangsta rap made him do it

8. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

I understand you were stopped and saw the lights etc etc.. But like others have mentioned before me, why not just pull forward to a point where there was more room to be on the side?

9. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

That was definitely ENTRAPMENT! Everybody knows there is no such thing as an illegal U-turn, EXCEPT where it's posted not to........He obviously enticed you into doing that with his spotlight. Probably an older cop in Viropause.
    :confused:

BxDetSgt likes this.
  10. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

My only advice for the OP is bring charts and character witnesses to the hearing. It shows the magistrate that you're passionate about your defense. You should also stare down the officer when you see them because this fluster them even more because LEO's hate being dragged into court on their day off.

Duff112 and BxDetSgt like this.
  11. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

So let me get this straight. You were "blinded" by the light in your side view mirror and instead of looking straight ahead and pulling safely into traffic you decided to continue to look into your side view mirror continuing to be "blinded" by the light and make a u-turn because you thought that it was legal to do so. If you couldn't see because you were "blinded" by the light and didn't feel like you could safely pull straight out into the travel lane; then, why on earth would you feel like you could safely make a u-turn while still being "blinded" by the light? Make sure you tell the judge that you feel that the officer should have aimed his spotlight directly into oncoming traffic so that you wouldn't have been "blinded" by the light while staring into your side view mirror which of course we all know is the preferred place to be looking while driving.

12. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Pro tip Don't make U-turns in front of police officers who have their lights on.

13. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

I always thought the chorus was :

Bliiiinded bah the light
    Revved up like a douche; another roamer in the night

Now I know who he was singing about.

obscure fact: Actual Lyrics (still applicable but mine are what I sing still.)

USMCMP5811, LGriffin, Duff112 and 6 others like this.
  14. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

1. Mass DriverNew Member

I am used to being pulled over in the normal fashion.​
    Sounds like you get pulled over too much. That's what we call a CLUE.

15. Johnny Law

I thought it was "wrapped up like a douche, another roller in the night". Still applies here.

16. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Guys, no hat joke yet? you guys a slipping:p

17. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I am so happy that I'm not the only one that thought the lyrics were "wrapped up like a douche." I'm also pleased my effort did not go unnoticed. :)

Although now I'm thinking the lyrics should be "blinded by the light, made a u-turn like a douche, another asshat in the night."

USMCMP5811, Duff112, mtc and 6 others like this.
  18. Johnny Law

The only song I like by Manfred Mann is "Do Wah Diddy", and that always reminds me of "Stripes", which was a great movie. Unlike this thread, which is full of OP fail.

Dan Stark likes this.
  19. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

Hat was mentioned somewhere :) But I don't understand why nobody made "Deer in the Headlights" joke yet!

20. nemedic

nemedic MassCops Member

All grammatical, spelling, and informational errors are solely the fault of Tapatalk and Autocorrect. Pay no attention to the fat fingers mashing on the keyboard behind the curtain.

21. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

+1

22. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

I will be the nice guy here. The officer was blocking the travel lane out of concern for YOUR safety, so that you could pull into traffic without hinderance. Yes, he probably should have used his public address system to tell you that he wanted you to move on. But maybe it wasn't operational. At some police agencies equipment is never fixed after it breaks. Times are tough and most public safety agencies are underfunded here in Massachusetts. He probably didn't get out of his cruiser because that would have unnecessarily exposed him to the dangers of passing traffic. There are thousands of names of deceased officers on the National Law Enforcement Memorial in DC due to officers being struck and killed by vehicles over the years. We are very aware of that sad fact.

So, appeal your citation if you wish. Just be polite and a little more reasonable than you have been here. Also, don't take the citation personal. I assure you that it is nothing personal to the officer.

frank likes this.
  23. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

That is a Springstein song. manford mann just covered it, it originally came out on Greetings from Asbury Park.

Dan Stark likes this.
  24. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Yup...but guess who has the better music video? :cool:

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

25. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

You have 20 days to pay or appeal.....next!

GARDA likes this.