US Marshals FCIP program | MassCops

US Marshals FCIP program

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by acampane, Jul 18, 2009.

1. acampane

acampane New Member

I was wondering if anyone has or knows and information on the US Marshals FCIP recruitment program other then what is on the site?? Has anyone been through the program first hand? Any info is helpful thanks.

2. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

They just closed hiring for region 1 which is New England, NY, and NJ

3. acampane

acampane New Member

Yes, i know i actually am in the process...Im just curious how it works because ive been told its a new means of recruitment. I have the mandatory recruitment session coming up which im sure i'll find it all out at, but wanted to know if anyone has been through the process. thanks for reply

4. JMody

JMody Special...

Fcip = ????

5. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

FCIP=Federal Career Intern Program...it's essentially the fed's way of saying "entry level", I think.

6. JMody

JMody Special...

So work there as an Intern while in school then when you grad you basically become career?

7. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

Negative. Like said the FCIP is just a fancy term for the hiring process. Once you get hired, they send you to the academy . [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]After the academy FCIP Deputies must also complete the three year Deputy Development Program which runs concurrent with the two year Trial Period. After FCIP Deputies complete the two year Trial Period they’ll have one more year to complete the Deputy Development Program. If your job performance is good they keep you after the "trial" (probation period).

I think after 3 years you qualify as 1811?

8. JMody

JMody Special...

Ohhh I get it. Sounds like a long process!

9. nikmac

nikmac MassCops Member

Anyone make any progress with the Marshals hiring (FCIP)? whats the hiring process look like, interview, background, polygraph? and whats the pay look like once you get the 1811 after LEAP and average locality? Any other info on anything to do with the USM would be great, im interested.

10. FordMustang

Unless you got invited to the session I don't think there is anyway to get on with them unless you are a Fed from a different agency and transfer. The last time they hired was 2001 and now 2009.

For the hiring process...the information session they had this week is step 1. You give them your resume, transcripts and driving records and they have you fill out paperwork and watch videos of what the job entails and the academy. Job for Marshal's is unique and very cool...and the academy and PT is no joke. They forward everything to HQ and HQ decides who get's interviews. The interview is you time to shine...pretty much only part of the process either they send you on or get rid of you....they do not have a written test so it's the main factor of hiring you. Also a very in depth BI and psych, no polygraph.

Through the FCIP session the highest you can enter as is a 7 level. 3 years and you get 1811 status and then qualify for the LEAP pay but then you don't get overtime. They do have locality pay also...depends on your area. Boston of course would be significantly higher then say New Hampshire or VT.

11. aran isle

aran isle New Member

Not to be a lump but..
    Boston, maine, new hampshire, all the same locality thus the same pay.
    Vermont is slightly lower as it is considered "rest of the united states" in locality.
    And yes, that job is very coveted by those fortunate enough to land it.

12. LE6721

LE6721 New Member

LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (LEO) 2009 GENERAL SCHEDULE LOCALITY PAY TABLES

The above OPM site will give you an idea of locality pay in different areas.

If you get on in a larger district, ie DC, there will be plenty of overtime for the first few years. After that LEAP kicks in which is 25% addition to your base. You can still earn overtime in various circumstances, but not as easily as your first three years.

13. uspresident1

Is the conversion to 1811 a sure thing after the 3 years? I have read on other forums that it is still up in the air.

14. mpr4601

mpr4601 MassCops Member

No it is not. You have to survive your evaluations as an 082 for 3 years to convert to 1811.

15. FordMustang

Anyone else get invited to the interviews? We can start scheduling on 9/15 for October. Good Luck everyone! :cool:

16. dbquinby

dbquinby MassCops Member

I posted this thread under the employment section as well....oops but heres some info thats on their site and the link for those interested:

FAQs

The Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP) is designed to help agencies recruit and attract exceptional individuals to a variety of occupations. It was created under Executive Order 13162 [PDF] and is intended for trainee positions at grade level GL-5 or GL-7. In general, individuals are appointed as a Deputy U.S. Marshal for a two year Trial Period. Upon successful completion of the Trial Period, the FCIP Deputy may be eligible for permanent placement within the agency.

Individuals who are selected and hired under the FCIP are Deputy U.S. Marshals, not to be confused with student interns.
    FCIP Deputies are in a Trial Period for the entire two year term. During this Trial Period, FCIP Deputies will be regularly counseled and evaluated on their performance. Continuation of the program is contingent upon satisfactory performance during the Trial Period.
    If an FCIP Deputy is not performing at the successful level, he or she may be removed from the program.
    FCIP Deputies will not be required to serve a probationary period following their conversion to the competitive service. The two years employees spend in the excepted appointment will serve as the employee’s probationary period.
    FCIP Deputies must also complete the three year Deputy Development Program which runs concurrent with the two year Trial Period. After FCIP Deputies complete the two year Trial Period they’ll have one more year to complete the Deputy Development Program.
    FCIP Deputy US Marshals are eligible for their GS-11 in the 1811 (criminal investigator) series after completing all their requirements at the GL-9 in the 082 series. As a cri

17. acampane

acampane New Member

So they scheduled my interview in the middle of my honeymoon! While i would have loved to of skipped the honeymoon the wife didn't have the same opinions. They said i would get rescheduled... The wait begins!

18. Laryyk

Laryyk New Member

Has anyone heard any new information about this? I've heard all kinds of conflicting info from word of mouth, to different forums, including a rumor that the USMS is no longer using the FCIP program. If that is indeed true, I can only imagine the flood of applicants the recruitment dept will have to sift through in the case of an "open call" recruitment.

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Holy crap, a n00b who actually utilized the "Search" feature before asking a question....well done, young man. :thumbs_up:

20. Laryyk

Laryyk New Member

Haha thanks.. Trust me, I've made the mistakes before, and gotten hell for it. I'm only a noob to THIS forum.

21. Gizzard Burger

Gizzard Burger New Member

the US marshals website says they will soon be offering a test, hope they offer it soon, i bet it is a great job. i hear they make more street arrests than any other law enforcement agency in the US, lots of opportunities for promotion too

22. uspresident1

The majority of Deputies work the courts and prisoner transportation. A smaller percentage work warrants and an even smaller percentage work WitSec....still a great job with great pay.

23. Gizzard Burger

Gizzard Burger New Member

uspresident, just wondering if you work for them or know any deputies? i am curious about them, what a day in the life would be, so on. morale? extra chances for money? do they do a 4-2? i see that they have SWAT and K9 type stuff too. i read their website, it is pretty informational, seems like these guys are crazy and have no fear, hunting down shitclowns left and right. i find it inspiring, the disipline they have is great.

not sure if with my resume i could get in, maybe if i were a cop for a while first that would help. i know a kid who is a deputy sheriff for plymouth county, he said that he is in the process for the marshals and that his expeirence with prisoners would be helpful

24. uspresident1

I'm not a DUSM I just work with them from time to time. Morale and money(GS-12) is good from the guys I've talked to. No 4-2. Like I said the majority of their work is courts and transpo.

25. 47turksinajar

47turksinajar MassCops Member

What you haven't seen the show manhunters?! :tounge_smile: