Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been thinking about joing the USCGR to gain knowledge and experiance to help me get a job in LE. Anyone here in the CG or CGR? I would want to go in for something related to LE. Im currently in college for Criminal Justice. Would i go through basic during the summer, and continue to go to school? How often do the Coast Guard get deployed? I dont think i have ever heard of them going oversea's. i figure with living right on the coast there would be plenty of opportunities right in this area. Thanks for any advice/help, Steve

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
SJR87 said:
Recently I have been thinking about joing the USCGR to gain knowledge and experiance to help me get a job in LE. Anyone here in the CG or CGR? I would want to go in for something related to LE. Im currently in college for Criminal Justice. Would i go through basic during the summer, and continue to go to school? How often do the Coast Guard get deployed? I dont think i have ever heard of them going oversea's. i figure with living right on the coast there would be plenty of opportunities right in this area. Thanks for any advice/help, Steve
I'm a bit biased but I woud say for get the CG and look into the AF, life doesnt get any better than for the AF, definately the only branch that puts it's people first... and gives you what ever you need and then more... Definately saw that after working with the Army, and having nearly half of the 140 Army personnel approach us and ask how to transfer from the Army to AF....

·
Registered
715 Posts
SJR87 - Air Force Reservist here. The Coast Guard is a good choice. ALL of the military branches are a good choice, but it all depends on what you are looking for. The Air Force and the Coast Guard both have a reputation for being two of the most "civilian-like" branches in the military. I know a few Coasties and they are treated well and perform a variety of missions that may interest you. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want exposure to real law enforcement the Coast Guard is the best choice. Not all CG members are Federal Officers and being a reserve severely limits the amount of exposure you get to LE. It takes a lot of motivation and time to become LE certified as a Reserve but defanitly can be done. In all other branches of Military you only really police your own INCONUS, where as in the Coast Guard you police the public.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What happens if you are in the reserve and you end up getting placed in an academy for a police department? I know that you have to be excused to get your one weekend a month and two weeks a year while working, but what if you are in an academy where absence is traditionally unexcused?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RedWaterMan said:
What happens if you are in the reserve and you end up getting placed in an academy for a police department? I know that you have to be excused to get your one weekend a month and two weeks a year while working, but what if you are in an academy where absence is traditionally unexcused?
Thats a good question, I would like to know also.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I got out in 97 the reserves at my station where given alot of flexibility in when they did their time. Quite a few POs and others with schedules that did not give them every weekend off did time during the week or their two weeks in the winter. But it is ultimately up to the OIC or CO. A recruiter could tell you more if it is still the same I hade to wait 5 months before I could go in, unless your a female or minority there is a waiting period.

G

·
emr said:
If you want exposure to real law enforcement the Coast Guard is the best choice. Not all CG members are Federal Officers and being a reserve severely limits the amount of exposure you get to LE. It takes a lot of motivation and time to become LE certified as a Reserve but defanitly can be done. In all other branches of Military you only really police your own INCONUS, where as in the Coast Guard you police the public.
How hard is it to get into the CG investigations or intelligence if you have the following background: Master's CJ, Corrections 18 yrs., former Army MP NG, part time P.O. I looking for some insight on what options are available??? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TIM007 said:
How hard is it to get into the CG investigations or intelligence if you have the following background: Master's CJ, Corrections 18 yrs., former Army MP NG, part time P.O. I looking for some insight on what options are available??? Thanks for the help
Tim, check out Fredsplace.org. They have a discussion board that you can get a lot of info from.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
I was thinking about USCGR myself I have heard nothing but good things. Maybe when I am down with college (next year god willing) I will look more into it. However if anyone here is in the USCG and has some stories or info please feel free to PM me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.