Updated Schedules | MassCops

Updated Schedules

Discussion in 'Police Administration' started by kttref, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kttref

kttref New Member

Hey everyone -

My administration/union/association is looking into discussing a new schedule. Our administration is big on going to 10 or 12 hour shifts (from our current 8...and I was wondering what you guys had. Here is how ours breaks down right now:

0700 - 1500, 1500 - 2300, 2300 - 0700.

Rotating days/eves every week. Steady mids.

4 on, 1 off, 4 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off (this gives us every 3rd weekend off).

We found on schedule which was a 12 hr shift, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off...actually looked pretty decent.

Also, if you could include what hours you work. Our biggest contention is the hours, because so many of us live far away we don't want to deal with a lot of traffic....(think Boston in rush hour - ALL THE TIME down here).

Thanks,
    Kate

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I hear North Reading PD works a 4 days on 4 days off 10 hr days. I like that!!

3. irish937

irish937 MassCops Member

North Reading and Amesbury have the 4 and 4/10hr shifts that I know of. I think Nantucket was going to it as well. I think North Reading's shifts are 7-5, 3-1 and 11-9 or 9-7 (I can't remember). The schedule allows for overlap during your busy call hours. I know many administrators may bite because they think it will save on OT. Myself and a few other guys were looking into the schedule. We currently work a 4 and 2/8hr shifts. The 12 hour shift schedule met with the most resistance. The 10 hour is a nice split and you get the four days off in a row. The majority of the guys seemed to be for it. Our specific issue was manpower considerations. I know there are several logistical considerations. Amesbury has had it for a while and have seemed to ironed out any "issues".

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

All patrol officers on my department work either a 3/12 or a 4/10 schedule. All divisional detectives work a 4/10. We've been on these schedules for about 6 years now and the vast majority of our folks love it.

We work a 28 day deployment period (DP). On a 3/12 schedule, you work 13 days and are off 15 days. On a 4/12 schedule, you work 15 days and are off 13. Instead of working a 4 and 2 like most of you guys, we put in a "days off request slip" before each DP. That means we pick our days off rather than being assigned our days off. It doesn't get better than picking your days off!

5. ArchAngel2

ArchAngel2 Grand Admin Commander

Pick your days off, great I'll start with Friday's, Saturdays, Sundays ( during football season) , then move on to Christmas and New Years Eve

6. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

If I remember correctly, under the North Reading scheduling system department members end up owing the department time, somewhere in the area of 100 hours they have to volunteer etc. A couple extra hours a day in exchange for 4 days off in a row...sounds good to me!

7. kttref

kttref New Member

I would hate to owe anyone time...but we're open to anything right now. I have a feeling we're going to end up with what we still have...which kind of drives me crazy...but whatever.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

8. irish937

irish937 MassCops Member

They do end up "owing" time back because they only work a 35 hour week as opposed to a 37.5 hour week. The 4 and 2 is a six week cycle, with an average of 37.5. The 4 and 4/10hr shifts are an eight week cycle where you work an average of 35 hours. They have to make up the difference per the collective bargaining agreement. I think there is quite a bit of leeway in how they do repay that time (trainings, radar shifts, selective enforcement, etc.). This was part of the hard sell for some of the guys. Many of the officers do not like any change and felt it would cut into OT and details. I tried to counter by using several arguments, including more flexibility. It still may work down the road, but we have some manpower issues.

9. testtaker

testtaker MassCops Member

How about a 5 on 3 off (8 hour days)

10. galehopeful

galehopeful New Member

The department I dispatch for (down here in the Southeastern US) works 12s. In a two week pay period they work 3 12s (36) hours the first week and then 4 12s (48) hours the next week. With this schedule, the officers get every other weekend off, plus the random midweek days. It is a fairly small department (about 25 patrol officers) and most people like the schedule, especially the fact that they get 24-7-365 coverage with only 4 crews (A and B days and A and B mornings). They also like the 8 built-in hours of OT pay every other week.

A much larger department near us works 4 10s, with overlaps every wednesday; ie: A morning, day, evening work Sunday-Wednesday, B morning, day, evening work Wednesday-Saturday, and they switch days every 4 months. Most people I have met love that schedule, primarily for the three consecutive days off. I haven't heard any complaints about the switching, perhaps because their particular way of doing it makes sure that everyone gets at least one weekend day off, which I think makes people happy.