Upcoming NewSouth 'Huck Finn' Eliminates the 'N' Word | MassCops

Upcoming NewSouth 'Huck Finn' Eliminates the 'N' Word

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by cc3915, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a classic by most any measure—T.S. Eliot called it a masterpiece, and Ernest Hemingway pronounced it the source of "all modern American literature." Yet, for decades, it has been disappearing from grade school curricula across the country, relegated to optional reading lists, or banned outright, appearing again and again on lists of the nation's most challenged books, and all for its repeated use of a single, singularly offensive word: "nigger."

Twain himself defined a "classic" as "a book which people praise and don't read." Rather than see Twain's most important work succumb to that fate, Twain scholar Alan Gribben and NewSouth Books plan to release a version of Huckleberry Finn, in a single volume with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, that does away with the "n" word (as well as the "in" word, "Injun") by replacing it with the word "slave."

Upcoming NewSouth 'Huck Finn' Eliminates the 'N' Word

2. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

Wow. Censoring a historical tome that assisted with bringing a positive black character to the general public, all in the name of ending racism. This is a sad day.

However, maybe our kids won't make this mistake if they never read HuckFinn at all...
    [​IMG]

3. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

Next they will sterilize all the books about the holocaust and make it seem like Hilter was just misunderstood.

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Many years ago, a black gentleman tried to legally change his name to "Mister Radical Aidid Supernigger", with the theory that the word had so much power because people refuse to use it. His idea was to use it as much as possible, with the goal of stripping it of its hateful power.

He lost his bid, filed an appeal, and I never heard the final outcome.

5. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Its a friggin word, does this mean we can have all of the rap music with the word in it changed or any other song that calls us pigs redone? I dont make it a point to use the word in my daily life but I dont thinkk its as offensive as people make it out to be. The book was written at a different time in history and I think it needs to be accepted for just that a story that took place in a different time. If someone doesnt want to read it then dont read it, seems pretty simple.

6. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Why not just change history completely and pretend slavery never existed in this country.....

7. TRPDiesel

Because then it wouldn't be a crutch for the equal rights activists to fall back on. It is the premise for racism and social inequality.

8. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

They shouldn't change the book unless the plan to provide Twain's descendants with reparations.

9. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRS6gW_k1uc&NR=1"]YouTube - N word jim[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0uzuBCuzT0&NR=1"]YouTube - Peter Griffin says the N Word[/nomedia]

10. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

That was me.:smug:

11. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

The progressives will not rest until they rewrite every bit of history that offends them. Remember when Mel Gibson The Patriot came out. Hand Gun Control was offended that he handed his young sons guns. While I know it was just a movie but I am sure there were similar incident dureing the Revelutionary War. So lets just white was all of history. They white washed the constitution at the capital yesturday. They choose not read parts. Like the part that said slaved were to be counted as 3/5 of a person. Well the progressives would have you believe this was an offensive thing so they choose to not read it. What they won't tell you is that that was done by our founding fathers because most of them thought slavery was wrong and if the slaves were counted one for one we could never out law it because the south would have to much power in Congress. They also choose not to read the 18th Amendment, the one of the biggest progressive mistakes ever made. What the progressives are not smart enough to realize is that history is how we learn from our past. We are all human and make mistakes. One just needs to look at our history. Yes we had slavery and used the word [email protected]#. It was a big mistake but I think we have learned from it. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

12. TRPDiesel

Interesting choice of the movie.. It is not ok to hand your children guns in defense of your family but it is perfectly acceptable to slaughter someone with a tomahawk.... I think people have a little issue what should be considered offensive.

13. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

My point exactly...

14. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

What seems amusing is, when I watched this news story, it was a white professor who was re-writing the book. The black man they spoke to (and dammit, I cannot recall who was who exactly and I didn't make note of the news program) said HE was against it because it's use in the book demonstrated how it made blacks more like objects than people.

People need to lighten up and see the good in things that THEY may not like. I recall a program in which the "AMOS and ANDY" show was discussed. The prime pushers to have that show available to the public were old school BLACK entertainers who could see ONLY the positives of the show:

First time blacks were the STARS of a program.
    Showed blacks as self sufficient human beings instead of either servants or victims.
    Was simply a charcture of people (ala "I Love Lucy"), not racism.
    Was damn FUNNY.

They stressed that the show did have some stereotypical humor, as do MOST situation comedies, and were very upset that that small vocal group could not see PAST the stereotypes. And as they put it, it wasn't so much stereotypical humor as the humor that was commonplace among blacks. I used to listen to a show on WUMB on Sunday mornings, "Blues Before Sunrise" and they often played segments of this comedy duo who performed, often at the Apollo Theater, who did humor in the vein of Amos and Andy and were BIG HITS in the 60s and 70s.

None of us will ever know how good "AMOS AND ANDY" was/is however because a small group of very vocal people have had it SO BURIED, those shows may NEVER see the light of day again. We can only go on the recollections of those who did hear it on radio and see it on TV.