United Nations. | MassCops

United Nations.

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by Beal Feirste, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Beal Feirste

Beal Feirste MassCops Member

Obama to Chair UN Security Council.

http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2009/090902_Rice.doc.htm

I've read elsewhere that this may actually be against the Constitution. Would anyone know if the below is correct?

Section 9 of the Constitution says:

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

If the above section is correct does it bar him from Chairing a UN Security Council meeting or not?

2. kttref

kttref New Member

Oh...you didn't hear..?? The Constitution doesn't matter anymore!

Ugh...actually I have no clue on the legality of this..

3. Beal Feirste

Well yes, even from this side of the Atlantic I've seen it being, shall I say altered? Not for the general good as I see it but I'm not really that well versed to discuss the American Constitution in any great detail.

4. kttref

kttref New Member

I'm not a big fan of changing something the founding fathers put together to protect us from tyranny...that's my view on it. But that's crazy you see subtle changes even over there!

5. ArmyE5

ArmyE5 New Member

Yikes!

6. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

It sure sounds like a violation of the Constitution to me, but as we speak, no doubt there are people above my pay grade working on the legalities of such issues. Considering that the 15 nation council has never held a session on nuclear disarmament since its foundation in 1945, I'm sure Obama's attorneys are using that "unprecedented" angle in their argument.

In my opinion, the UN has always been ineffective on big issues where it is more about words than results... (i.e.: Peacekeeping is a technique not even mentioned, let alone described in the Charter...per se). But then again, the UN and Obama included, should be doubted on their words and only believed in their actions.

7. Beal Feirste

Some of the commentators that I've listened to and read don't always describe them as subtle kt.

Ineffective is a bit of an understatement Garda. Downright useless in most cases, in the rest they bury their heads in the sand.

Oh I'm sure they will be drooling at the prospect of an American President taking the big seat at the head of the table no doubt. I can't really see the UN as it is lasting much longer in any case. Not if the European bigwigs have their way with their plans of a Federal European, in their own eyes, Superpower. That's what I see the Lisbon Treaty is making way for.

8. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

I concur BealFeirste. Lisbon will be interesting. At times I not only wish that the headquarters of the UN was out of the US, but that the US was out of the UN. The difference between theory and practice is sooooo ridiculously evident in the UN's supposed primary function, the maintenance of international peace and security.

Conflict control becomes a more ambitious goal (if not altogether a joke) in those situations where there is no formal determination of aggression, its practitioners have no enemies, are not there to win, can use force only in self-defense, and its effectiveness depends on voluntary cooperation of all parties involved :shock:...

I think there's probably a better chance of the US Team winning the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa :rolleyes:

9. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

House Bill 22001: Hereby from this day forward President Obama shall be known as the Supreme Being. Anyone not refering him to the aforementioned Supreme Being shall be imprisoned for life, unless you are not a citizen of the United States.

10. Beal Feirste

Lisbon will be very interesting indeed once it's completely ratified and it will be without question. As I'm sure you're aware, on Oct 2nd, Ireland has a second referendum. The first having being ignored as, well "wrong". So never mind, we'll just do it again until we get it right. ( Cue Head Master type voice )We even had the European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso pay a visit today to assist the democratic voting thoughts of the electorate. Of course being a staunch proponent of democracy himself he said that he was not here to threaten but to advise.

I remember watching a news item a few years back, some African conflict I think but I'm not sure. Anyway, in went a UN peace keeping force. So we had the funny images of a line of blue helmeted troops stretched out between two rival factions having a go at each other. Neither faction threatened the blues in any way so, not being attacked themselves they were powerless to do anything at all other than watch as the battle raged around them.

Oh I don't know about the US footy team. There isn't many teams who recently could beat the current European champions 2-0.

Oh? Then what?

11. Beal Feirste

Now I could be wrong here Wolf but, do I sense a degree of negativity towards the current administration?

12. Beal Feirste

LOL. Ok I think I'm clear now.

13. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

As much as I don't like it, I would say this is Constitutional as Wolfie said, the UN is not a "foreign state". Remember, the G20 and the G8 have rotating leadership among the member heads of state and it's never been an issue.

Plus, I doubt there's much case law on this specific issue, if at all.

14. Beal Feirste

I agree that the UN can't be described as a "foreign state" not having an actual country of origin. I dare say that he won't be given a title of any kind for the event and in any case I can't really see anyone in the UN complaining.

I look forward with some interest to what he will say on the day.

15. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Very well put, Garda! You've explained all my problems with the UN!

Can you imagine the kind of world we would be living in if the UN tried to mediate the Axis and Allies during WWII? The Nazi holocaust would have been explained away as "internal ethnic issues". The Japanese seizure of China and wholesale slaughter of Chinese civilians would have been touted as "resource redistribution". And the blue helmets would have stood around and watched as smokestacks from death camps filled the air with human ash and Arisaka buttstocks were used to smash babies' skulls.