Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,800 Posts
Just a thought,

In most cases these leather/nylon, boot/sneakers, and standard/bdu questions seem irrelevant. I mean except for footgear, most of us don't have choice anyway, right? (Dept. Policies)

But just for giggles I'll add my own poll to the mix

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a good idea
we all go running around in BDUs! Gee I wonder what the public will think.

BDUs are fine for K9 and SWAT, other wise you look like you are ready for a riot. Not the image we need to be giving to the public.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I will agree with you Jim that BDU's aren't let's say the most "community policing" friendly uniform. However, it would be nice for officers to have the option to wear them instead of the regular dry clean & press uniform, just my
. Besides, if you tried to wear black sneakers with BDU's you might be confused with a member of an extreme pit crew :D .

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of departments up here in VT are going BDU's, they're more practicle. Have you ever stood out side in the middle of winter, snowing, windy and cold at minus 20 or better, i have. Not fun in standard uni's. Plus there's other bene's that go with the BDU's too, having pockets for equipement etc.

Standard Uni's! Blah! That's my 2 cents

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
For "Police" work, I would think that the Standard Uniform would be better. Like someone else said, the BDU's don't present a great image to the public. A little too GI Joe for everyday patrol.

However, working in the Jail? I would love the BDU's. Much more comfortable and a more fitting image for what your trying to portray. The state got them a few years ago, and they all love them. We tried in our last contract but got shot down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think BDU style uni's should be for the Special Ops units, the use of a more"public friendly" uniform would be better when used for everyday use.
I do believe that the BDU style is a more comfortable alternative though,but lets not forget that just because you get into a pair of BDU's doesnt mean that the starch and dry cleaning goes out the window. There is nothing worse than a pair of BDU's that look like you just took 'em out of a sea bag! And what would you suggest for headgear? I cant stand regular ball caps with a uniform.
Pearl, i am with you as far as using them in the jail,much more intimidating.I would guess that "command presence "would be important in main population...
But yet again thats just my "humble opinion"

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wehave theoption now to wearthe Blauer Street gear uniform with embroidered badge. At first I thought they were ok, but seeing the half steppers wear them out of the dryer changed my mind. I think presence wise the regular uniform is much better. We are prohibited from wearing normal BDU's. The street gear material doesn't stand up well, and is a cold uniform to wae in the winter.

Real Police wear leather gear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Many years ago, Lawrence P.O.'s were allowed to wear BDU style uniforms. The idea was that the criminal element was less likely to put up a struggle with the more intimidating/authoritarian projection. Obviously, the community did not respond well to this idea and the BDU's are only authorized by specialties today.

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
We just got authorized to wear BDUs, either tucked in bloused or seamed. I love the BDUs, they look professional and it's also very comfortable. We cannot wear BDUs on detail but we are allowed to wear them on patrol.

·
Registered
665 Posts
BDU's are much more comfortable. When I worked for the DOC we switched to Blauer Street Gear BDU's. While I think that it is a good uniform to wear in a prison(intimidates the inmates), I would not choose this as my uniform for everyday patrol. It is more comfortable by far, but it does not look as professional as the standard uniform. It may intimidate some of the shitheads on the street, but it might also intimidate the general public as well. In my opinion it should be reserved for special details or units, ATV's,raids, SRT, etc. But that's just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts