Unattended death stories | MassCops

Unattended death stories

Discussion in 'War Stories' started by districtcircus12, Apr 11, 2015.

1. districtcircus12

districtcircus12 MassCops Member

I am curious if anyone has stupid but absolutely hilarious things happen, when you arrive to them? From calling CPAC to the ME not listening to anything you said. With respect to the diciest.

2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

The WHAT???

zm88 and Hush like this.
  3. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

4. districtcircus12

deceased!!! deceased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DECEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. districtcircus12

6. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I kicked in a door once when we responded to a residence for a panic alarm and saw a dead woman on the couch in the living room.

We had our guns out and the primary officer flipped out because he pulled the blanket back and found out it was a mannequin.

True story.

7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Always like telling the new boot at s particularly smelly sudden that he/she is required to stay in the same room with the deco corpse until ME arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hush, FAPD, Tuna and 1 other person like this.
  8. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

When I was a part time PO I never had to go to a sudden, but from working full time dispatch in the city I was always told to carry a tub of vicks in my cruiser bag.

9. felony

felony MassCops Member

Ugh, I hated doing that. Plus, every sudden death I have had, the subject usually has 5 cats with a over flowing litter box filled with shit and piss. I would leave the scene with a massive headache, from the smell of stale cigarettes, cat piss and shit and decomposing flesh.

Now it doesn't bother me as much and I sit on the couch and watch TV, until the ME arrives or the funeral home, provided there aren't any relatives around.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    BxDetSgt and Hush like this.
  10. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Had a sudden death once where family was distraught. The ME's contractor funeral home removed the body and the family was freaking out during the process. They called the ME's office and told them that they believed that their father was actually still alive and that we had put a live person in the body bag. He was deader that George Washington. It turned into a fiasco.

11. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Worked for a private ambulance about 34 years ago in Boston. We got a CMED call for a possible sudden in Southie on New Year's morning about 7 am. We got there and the caller who seemed a bit s-l-o-w-w-w-w brought us upstairs at about the same pace his brain was functioning, and we were in a hurry since it was a POSSIBLE sudden or maybe cardiac arrest. We make it to the third floor and finally to her apartment where she's stretched out, panties down, arm up, mouth open and two small cats walking all over her and stepping in the excrement she had expelled. My partner (the senior guy-and actually a real joy to work with-we had loads of fun, but he was a prick this morning) says, "Well, check the pulse." So, I did even though we could detect rigor, what, I'm going to argue with a guy with 10x the experience?

He laughs at me and says he has to go back to the truck to call for police and ME. I have to stay with the lady. The friend, shit, I have no idea where he went. The whole time my partner was gone, I just looked from the window, to her, half expecting her to reach out and grab me. He comes back up about 10 minutes later and says, "Did you get her to sign the release form?" I said I considered it, but she wouldn't hold the pen properly.
    Police came, we split.

I've been BLESSED to only deal with 2 deaths, on being a suicide. Several attempted suicides, but only one completed and out New Year Lady. Dodging bullets is a God send.

TacEntry and Goose like this.
  12. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

It doesn't work.

BxDetSgt, Bloodhound and pahapoika like this.
  13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

During the aids epidemic in the early 90's it wasn't uncommon to haul a body down to the morgue once a week. Was working the Shattuck and it's where inmates came to die.

Being the new guy would have to help the nurses put the inmate on the gurney ( after it was cleaned up and placed inside the body bag ) then take the elevator to the basement and wait for the ME to show up.

Was told to wait inside the morgue, but always sat outside in the hallway. About a hour later a white Dodge extended cab pick -up pulled into the back entrance. The driver got out and he was fairly normal looking and his passenger was a decent looking girl.

Both walked to the back of the truck, pulled out the gurney and then a midget hopped out of the back seat !

All three came inside the morgue, put the stiff on a stretcher, signed for the body, loaded up the truck and drove away !

Weird things happen at night and some i still think of to this day :D

zm88, GARDA, Tango_Sierra and 4 others like this.
  14. Kilvinsky

I think I mentioned this before, not a sudden death story, but very cool, death related coincidence. There's a loading dock where the donated bodies for the med school arrive. A security guard has to sign for them late at night. I was turning the corner into the roadway with the loading dock and at that very moment, I mean the exact same moment I turned the corner and noticed the body being delivered, the opening riff of "Don't Fear the Reaper" came on the radio.

GARDA, Hush, Goose and 2 others like this.
  15. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Oh Jim! You're usually in the right place at the right time!

Sicko!

pahapoika likes this.
  16. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

I had one last winter at my town gig. My partner and I were just about to get off duty after an overnight shift when it came in. Got to the house and maybe it was because I was over tired and punchy from being up since the day before but I kept thinking that one of the family members looked like Greg Marmalard for Animal House. The guys dad is dead in bed, stiff as a board in his tighty whitey's and all I can think of is "HOLY SHIT!!! his adult kid looks like Greg Marmalard". Thankfully I was able to exercise enough self control and not burst out laughing at that point.

Waay back in the mid 90's I was working for an ambulance service. One day we had just dropped off a patient at one community hospital ER's. I was putting the stretcher back in the ambulance when I noticed a old hearse parked on the ramp. I started making conversation with one of the funeral home guy's sitting in the passenger seat. Out of the blue he points to the back door of the hearse and goes "Hey there's no handle on the inside" and starts laughing like crazy :eek:. I was like "Um yeah okay gotta go now".

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  17. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

image.jpg

18. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I once put coffee grinds on the stove for the smell. I started doing my paperwork and forgot about them in the other room. A bit later they start to smoke heavy, so I take then off the stove and dump them in the sink without looking. The guy was a pack rat and had about 10 years of NY Posts in his sink. They catch fire, and I turn on the faucet. NO FREAKING WATER!!! Next thing I know, the sprinklers are going off and FD has responded. OOOPS!

zm88, GARDA, LawMan3 and 5 others like this.
  19. Kilvinsky

Simple sudden suddenly becomes a crime scene! TOO FUNNY!

pahapoika likes this.
  20. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I forgot to add it was a suicide. The victim left a note with two beer in the fridge for the responding cops. In my rookie panic I grabbed on of the Coors Lights in the fridge and poured it on the burning mess in the sink. Try explaining that one. I know what I would have thought if I was the Boss.

Nshore, zm88, Kilvinsky and 4 others like this.
  21. Kilvinsky

Thank GOD it wasn't VODKA left for you.

Citizen or Reporter: So, Deputy Fire Chief, how did the apartment building burn to the ground?
    FDNY Deputy Chief: Well, you see, this one guy killed himself and upon investigating the incident, the cops burned the building down.

22. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Let the riots begin....