Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is intrested Salem State PD has extended an invitation to any unarmed State or Community College PD to meet with them this coming Thursday at 5:00PM. They are offering the resources that they used and a background on how they went about getting armed.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
So....................
How did it go? What was the turn-out?
8)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late update guys.....

The presentation was awesome. Great group of guys at Salem State. It's good to meet up with different departments and see how different things are at the State Colleges. They are a real squared away department.

We are going to work closely with them and other armed departments to give it a try. We are going to take our time and make sure we cover every aspect of what we want to accomplish.

This is really pathetic that it has to be almost like solving world hunger to get Police Officers firearms.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way... I'm certainly not on the other side of this argument BUT, I think that some departments have way too much of the "old school" around. AKA, those that never went to an academy and are still content with being "Security Guards"... that walk around with huge key rings and know where every single damn fire panel is on a campus, and the bosses love em for it, so they'll never go away. Now think about those individuals at your dept. Common now, everywhere has em.

Now do you want some of these people being armed? I think the student bodies at most institutions are correct to be concerned about that.

Not an argument... JUST A THOUGHT.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

I did not take that the wrong way but I think your information is a bit off. I used to work at Holy Cross where I would definately agree with you about the fire panel key ring statement. But working for a State College and actually being a real PD is alot different.

We have a group of POLICE OFFICERS all academy trained with no maintance hold overs from the 70's. The only person in my department that should not carry a firearm is the IPO.

If you complete hell at New Braintree for 14-16 weeks then you have the will and drive to be a Police Officer. People need a reality check this is not 1970 and we are not night watchmen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.