Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know anything about them? Is it a decent job? I know umass memorial sucks a**, I was just wondering if umass medical school was any different.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I work with a guy who was at UMASS, it is a part of the umass system and as such the P.D is squared away, busy and make decent money.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
He told a lot of guys there turned down municipal jobs to stay there. He is now trying to go back, left because of family.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Macop said:
j809 i'm gonna head NB on 495 till find you then look out!!
Aaron!!!

Be careful dude! You know Yimmy can sic the cyber-crimes squad on you for making threats here!!!!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stay away from Umass Medical School Police in Worcester! My friend works there and he said the department is run by a bunch of guys who worked in Framingham that got fired back in the 70's for doing illegal stuff. I heard that if you lock someone up they'll fire you. They're more of a security guard operation than a police department. Their officers have to stand in the entrance to the Emergency Room for eight hours and give directions to patients. You need the Full Time academy to work there and they no not go to inservice. You'll have to repeat the academy if to decide to leave after 5 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Right on IBPOGUY. Stay away from UMass Police Worcester. The department is run by a group of misfits toys that were indeed fired / forced to resign from Framingham Police Dept. back in the 70's. PM me and I'll give you the skinny on them and their issues. A close friend of mine has been there for years and says it's pure political hell. I thought about goin there a few years back. The patrolMEN are a good bunch of GUYS but now they appear to be stuck there due to the inservice issue. It's a very political environmental to work in. Advise...look elsewhere and stay away!

~Removed slanderous comments~

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
The UMass Police Worcester that are part of the UMass system are squared away. Its the Umass Memeorila hospital Police that are shady. I notice a lot of people get them confused, and no you dont have to repeat the academy after 5 yrs unless you have not worked, this is what my academy director has told me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ladderman508 said:
anyone know anything about them? Is it a decent job? I know umass memorial sucks a**, I was just wondering if umass medical school was any different.
Yes there a great group of guys to work with and the Chief is into training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The chief at Umass Worcester is not into training at all. He doesn't let his officers attend training seminars that are offered by the MPTC. Why you ask? He doesn't want his officers to be educated at all. They might learn something new and try to use it. Why should they train anyone when they have a female officer that knows everything that there is to know about everything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm this Chief sounds a lot like another I know of out there in the state system, at Tewksbury State Hospital...just in some ways, not in all...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could never figure that out. Why do they have UMass Memorial Police and UMass Police?? Why not just one department?? What's the dirrerence between the two?? Oher than the chief thing and the Lt. Mattero thing. Isn't that impersonating a police officer?? It does create a breach of the peace. My friend was a Sgt. there a few years ago. She told me that any job in the UMass system is very political. She also said you need to kiss a** in order to get ahead. I decided to work for a municipal department and stay away from UMass because I didn't want to play the political game. I'm glad I waited and got on a civil service department.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My cousin works there now and is looking to jump ship because it's gone down hill. He explained to me that they are indeed two are separate departments. One is the old Memorial Hospital Police (UMass Memorial Police) they took over the university hospital part of UMass back in the late 90's. The University has always had it's own police department but they are both two different breeds. You have to be full time academy trained for UMass Police according to their union contract. You have to have the SSPO academy for UMass memorial's campus police.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.