Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it be true? I heard a rumor that the Agawam Academy is no longer accepting Umass in their municipal academy. Due to budget cuts perhaps?

In its place, I heard they are training with the M.B.T.A. May I suggest the S.S.P.O. academy instead? My goodness.

Is this a false rumor? If it is true, how does the M.B.T.A. academy measure up to the S.S.P.O. academy? *curious

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
UMASS should not go to the SSPO. I have a buddy I used to work with that went through the T academy and he endured far more training and discipline then I received at the SSPO academy. For what Umass deals with, they should attend the T academy or the RTT

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very well. Thanks for the info. I had no clue about the "T" academy. I heard the opposite by the way, but good for them then.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
BS an acaademy is an academy, hero. The only downfall is that unless it has changed when I was SSPO they dont cover CH 90.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Sorry to upset you Macop but I too went to the SSPO and found that it didnt cover as much information as the MCJTC. Thats my opinion only. And im not a hero just a man :D

G

·
Probably the only thing covered in more depth in the MCJTC full time academy would be Ch. 90. SSPO 14 did however have a few sections covering Ch. 90 though. Lets not kid ourselves, anyone can buy a MV law book and become a pro in an hour or so!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Anyone here go to the SSPO within the past year or so? My understanding is firearms is now part of the training.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I wish Massachusetts would adopt the one academy system holding all Police Officers to the same training standard. I feel this system would reduce the fighting between the "real" vs "fake" cop crowd. It would be tough to call a classmate a "fake cop" after they completed the same training with the same standards. :?:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was told today that MCJTC (or whatever their new name is now) will no longer be accepting campus police departments for academy training. My department will potentially be looking into the MBTA academy for future training. For in-service, we will continue to go to Lowell as they are not an actual MCJTC sponsored site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It appears we will be attending the city academies such as Worcester, Lowell, Springfield, etc. There is talk that we will have our own in-service training classes. Since the change over from the M.C.J.T.C. to the M.P.T.C. the key word is "Municipal".
Many departments are switching over to hosting their own in-service programs.

The M.P.T.C. will only let cities and towns into the academies. The Envir. Police, The 15 Railroad Police Officers (CSX, B&M, Grafton & Upton 15), and UMass Police got screwed. All can still attend full time city run academies listed above.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It appears we will be attending the city academies such as Worcester, Lowell, Springfield, etc. There is talk that we will have our own in-service training classes. Since the change over from the M.C.J.T.C. to the M.P.T.C. the key word is "Municipal".
Many departments are switching over to hosting their own in-service programs.

The M.P.T.C. will only let cities and towns into the academies. The Envir. Police, The 15 Railroad Police Officers (CSX, B&M, Grafton & Upton 15), and UMass Police got screwed. All can still attend full time city run academies listed above.
Figures...this shit state can't be like any other state. Is it really that smart to make people stay in a "stepping stone" type of job and not allow them to advance forward. I love how they created the SSPO to force people to stay at the colleges longer and not allow them to advance their careers.

G

·
Thats right,

MPTC (formerly MCJTC) changed their name as first step toward shutting the door on Sheriffs attending their MPOC's, RES/INT, In-service, and specialized trainings. Too bad in their rush to slam that that door they broke the feet of a lot of other agencies with FT training and FT status like Campus Cops and the like.
[-X
Also, anybody here selling SSPO academy short is a fool! Aside from the fact that those same elitists at MPTC don't recognize it, It is a professional residential academy with a real physical component. Most states in the U.S. will take it as a FT equivalent academy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In response to the very first post in this topic about UMASS Amherst going to the MBTA Academy...

As it was stated above.... All of the UMASS police departments require their officers to be trained in a Municipal Academy. I know for sure that UMASS Boston sends all their recruits to the "T".

The MBTA Police Academy is one of the most squared away in Massachusetts.... UMASS Amherst will have a long hike to and from Quincy but it will be well worth it.

Another plus as to attending the MBTA or another Municipal Academy is that when an officer gets the opportunity to move on from working at a college to a Municipality located in Massachusetts, they already have an accepted full time academy under their belts.....unlike the SSPO :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bridgewater State contacted the MPTC academy coordinator and we are still allowed into the municipal academy it is the specialized (free) training and inservice that the college's are out of luck on. It has always been however that if the academy has only a few seats left the college officer will get bumped out in favor of a municipal officer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You would think that the colleges would get together and in the summer months sponsor their own academy. You have empty dorms, athletic fields, tracks, cafeteria,. trainers, class-rooms, and so on. You could put together a far better academy than the MCJTC could ever offer. Not to mention the equipment and money colleges have at their fingertips. If it was run properly you may even have municipal and sheriffs coming to you for training.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.