Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
Very squared away department. The old Massasoit PD Chief Shaw that did allot for that department is in charge of setting up recruiting and testing. It is a very busy department, a former patrolman from MCC is now a Sergeant there and he is very squared away. Nice equipment, lots of OT and details that they absolutely cannot fill, Dartmouth PD works them. The department from what I hear is growing allot because the school is growing very fast. There are numerous new buildings going up and they have allot of off-campus satellite sites as well. They do carry firearms, they were looking for FT academy but I think as long as you can get a waiver SSPO with a 4 yr degree you can apply.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
U/Mass Dartmouth is da BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As J809 said, they are moving forward in many aspects. They'll rival U/Mass Amherst someday
:wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
If anyone is interested, they are accepting applications and will be giving an entrance exam to create a hiring list. I believe the applications are due the first week of February (maybe the 5th) and there is a $20 fee. The test I think will be given towards the end of the month. I am not sure of the exceptions, but if you meet certain requirements, you will be exempt from the exam and just have to submit an application and pay the fee.

I have a few contacts down there, and they are very squared away and are getting many things done for the members of the department. They just opened 2 more residence halls and plan to open a few more. They also have a great relationship with the MSP, Dartmouth PD and the corrections department.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I spent a lot of time at UMD over the past 5 years. I have gotten the impression that they are a very good campus PD to work for. My ex- girlfriend has a problem there one year and an officer came to her room to talk to us.. awesome guy! Personally followed up with her too. The senior housing area can get pretty wild at times and they are a very fair group of officers. Just a student/ visitors point of view...

I would be taking the test but I have training classes for my other job every saturday in Feb.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
FARVA";p="55025 said:
Anyone know the starting salary??
It's around mid 30's I believe
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
UPDATE. If you have a full time MPOC or SSPO academy, you are stronly encourage to apply and will not have to take the exam. Department is very good and the bennies are great.

·
1,334 Posts
j809";p="54600 said:
Very squared away department. The old Massasoit PD Chief Shaw that did allot for that department is in charge of setting up recruiting and testing. It is a very busy department, a former patrolman from MCC is now a Sergeant there and he is very squared away. Nice equipment, lots of OT and details that they absolutely cannot fill, Dartmouth PD works them. The department from what I hear is growing allot because the school is growing very fast. There are numerous new buildings going up and they have allot of off-campus satellite sites as well. They do carry firearms, they were looking for FT academy but I think as long as you can get a waiver SSPO with a 4 yr degree you can apply.
I don't know too much about the department, but knowing Chief Shaw (Ret) for many years, if he has any involvement planning, consulting, or advising for that department, I would suggest that it must be squared away. Take it for what it is worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.