Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I worked there 18 years ago. At the time, a decent job, no heavy lifting and you could do chapter 90 stops on the one mile circular roadway and parking garages. Not the place to work if you are looking for lots of police action, there are no dorms (although I hear they may be building some) so after dark its very quiet. It was a very professional operation and I assume it still is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They're in Dorchester and next door to Harbor Point. Alot of times, the riff raff manage to find their way on Campus Property. This gives the cops there a time to play. An Officer I know at UMB sees more criminal element than I do working in a town. They're also MBTA Full Time Academy Trained.

If anyone has questions, PM me and I can get answers for you.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
j809,

I have no intentions of leaving where I at, I posted this question for someone I know who asked me, and since I didnt know I figured all you Heros might, lol.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
Macop";p="61210 said:
j809,

I have no intentions of leaving where I at, I posted this question for someone I know who asked me, and since I didnt know I figured all you Heros might, lol.
Aaron,

It is a good place to work. In addition, the crown vics are absolutely SEXY!!! They start out with Ford Platinum (base color) and add some pretty green/blue striping with Script type lettering......Ooooooouuuhh you just have to see them!
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I decided to go ahead and apply.. sent my app, cover lettter and resume in yesterday. I usually don't apply for campus jobs but it looks like Umass is willing to send people to a FT academy, plus I hear UMB may be building dorms within the next few years, so that would add some excitment to the job. Anyone know if they have tuition assistance? May be an opportunity to work at my BS degree. I'm on VTSP's hiring roster for the July 05 academy so this may be my only and final opportunity to stay in MA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Money isn't bad . they do have chapter 90 BUT (there is always a but) the acting chief would prefer his officers acted like security not cops, typical of a university i suppose. i suppose every police job has its ups & downs, but seems like a lot of turnover there of late, tons of guys leaving, makes you wonder why.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
ShakeEmDOwn016";p="61340 said:
TrippleSeven......What's up with the comment about "not usually applying for campus jobs".

You never know who is reading these posts..... Good Luck with your job search, I guess. :roll:
I don't quite understand what your comment is about.... did you think i was taking a shot at campus police or something? I don't "usually apply for campus jobs" because my personal preference would be to work a municipal or state job. Don't be so sensitive... campus police are just as much of a cop as any other Officer or Trooper in my mind. The reasons i did decide to go ahead and apply for UMB are because:
1) They are willing to sponser and send a new officer to a FT academy
2) Reputation
3) Possibility of dorm construction = more police work
4) May be my final opportunity to stay in MA since I am on an out of state agencies hiring roster for a July 05 academy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Me sensitive??? Negative, I am already employed in a job you would probably die for. Trust me, I am sure I wasn't the only one scratching my head over your comment. But thank you for clarifying what you meant , I think I can sleep easier today.

I was just offering you some simple advice. As it has been said many, many, times - You never know who is reading these posts. Perhaps the people responsible for interviews.

Good luck with your job searching.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of turnover at Umass Boston, I can't even remember the last time I saw an opening at Umass Boston P.D. In fact all the Umass P.Ds dont seem to have much turnover at all, just growth.

Speaking of Harbor Point I remember when the had a P.D not a bad little gig there till the chief pissed someone off and away they went. Any former Officers here from when it was Harbor Point Police what was it like and what happened to it?. I got hired there in 1995 and then the next week I was told they were gone, lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few things here....

1. People are entitled to their preference of where they would like to work. The calls received my municipal depts and State troopers are quite different then calls received by campus police. I myself prefer larger depts. and hope to get out of the small town where I am. I also wouldn't threaten people about their posts because of who might be reading them. Civil service would straighten those shenanigans out.

2. There are security agencies that pay more than UMB, without the hassle of going into town, fighting traffic.

3. Back in 02' I knew some people who worked at harbor point at their "police department," while working as an intern for MSP. They carry but they seem like babysitters, they lacked powers most arrests there were made by MSP down the street, or Boston PD. Last time I heard a security officer that worked there, bought himself an old crown vic, got a hold a boston police jacket and was pulling people over in an around harbor point and bayside expo. Subsequently MSP set up an operation, and caught the guy in the act, it was great. The guy deserved what he got, he was on a major power trip.
Subsequently MSP

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a huge turnover rate there, in the last 3 yrs i know of at least 9 officers that left there (not all went to city/town dept), its only a 20 or so man dept, thats alot leaving. Reason you dont see them posting the job much is because they try to keep it hush hush. Very political, plus the acting chief has about zero power now with the administration, so he cant just replace people when he wants, he has to beg to fill open slots. few years ago a white officer arrested a black "professor" during a war protest, chief backed the cop & the admin has been playing games with him since (acting chief for over 2 1/2yrs?? come on). The brass there is ok, its just the chancellors office & such dont realize what cops do, they want zero arrests no problems etc. Get in, get the academy, get some some experience and move on seems to be the general idea of most of the guys that get on there. Good luck.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Macop";p="61413 said:
Speaking of Harbor Point I remember when the had a P.D not a bad little gig there till the chief pissed someone off and away they went. Any former Officers here from when it was Harbor Point Police what was it like and what happened to it?. I got hired there in 1995 and then the next week I was told they were gone, lol.
Harbor Point is now patrolled by Longwood Security. They are Boston Specials that carry .38s and from what I understand aren't that bad a gig. They have a former Brookline PD Captain running the show for their armed division.

·
Registered
372 Posts
soxrock75";p="61441 said:
Macop";p="61413 said:
Harbor Point is now patrolled by Longwood Security. They are Boston Specials that carry .38s and from what I understand aren't that bad a gig. They have a former Brookline PD Captain running the show for their armed division.
I believe it still says Harbor Point Police on the door. I can't believe no one came along and scraped the lettering off, I haven't been there in a long time or I'll have flashbacks. That was a very busy place to work, and the UMASS Boston guys were always looking to help out if needed. As someone mentioned, most UMASS calls at night were a direct result of Harbor Point occupants.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
HEE HEE!!!!!!!

I worked next door to them in 95-96. They really pissed off Lt. Black (BPD) and the MSP both, by pulling cars over constantly out on Morrissey Blvd and having POLICE on their car(s). Harbor Point (then) was a major contributing factor in a crackdown on many Boston Special agencies then.
I'm sure it's a cyclical thing anyway. reign those few yahoos in once in a while!
:lol:
UMB Police=the real deal

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.