Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I noticed that Umass Amherst is holding another test. I also noticed on their website, that part of it is down due to "staffing shortages". Anybody have any insight on how many they are looking to hire and when? Information on past tests? General information on the department itself?

Thank You

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Don't know anything about their recruiting policy, or hiring policy, but I have worked with them on occassion, and they are a first-class department. Professional and thoroughly trained. They work a tough beat, with 17,000 snot-nosed punks itching to give them trouble...still I'm sure its an interesting job with plenty of 94C (especially weed), OUI's, and resisting arrest to go around.

·
Subscribing Member
2,550 Posts
not to be a pain in the ass, but i was wondering what there UMASS P.D.'s website was. I couldn't find it from there homepage.

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
I took the UMass PD test back in 95 or 96. It was very similar to a regular Civil Service test. Back then, after passing the test, you had to show up and pass the basic physical part too (1.5 mi under 12 min, X sit-ups, X push-ups, bench presss your weight, etc.) I would guess that the physical part is no longer required as a requirement to pass, just like civil service.

Hope this helps

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Umass PD is the real deal. End of story.
If you are not a serious person, committed, and with a clean background,
FORGET IT!
:)

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like they use the same physical as the Town of Amherst. Do you remember what the bench press ratio was? For the town, I think it was slightly over your own weight.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Pearl, I believe it is 1.06 times your weight. They are a very squared away department and you get the FT academy. They have a high turnover like all colleges that send officers to FT academies. UMASS PD at Amherst has everything. One of my colleagues I worked with was a police officer for the Town of Amherst and he said that UMASS PD even had better stuff than they did. I also believe they only have 7 steps not 14 like the state and community colleges.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7 Steps instead of 14? Hmmm, that sounds even better. I wonder what their retirment system is like. Public safety retirement, 20 years only? Things I will need to look into.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It is my understanding that Umass Amherst is only seeking applicants who already have FT academy training. Something to do with budget cuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.