Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chapter 348 of the Acts of 2004

AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE POLICE POWERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AT AMHERST.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Section 1 of chapter 269 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition, is hereby amended by adding the following sentence:- For the purposes of this section, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst shall be considered to be a town.

SECTION 2. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst may enter into an agreement with the town of Amherst, another town, or a city, or other towns and cities, including towns and cities in states contiguous to the commonwealth, to provide mutual aid programs for police departments to increase the capability of such departments to protect the lives, safety, and property of the people in the area designated in the agreement. The agreement may include the furnishing of personal services, supplies, materials, contractual services, and equipment when the resources normally available to the University or any municipality in the agreement are not sufficient to cope with a situation which requires police action. When providing such mutual aid, police officers shall have all the immunities and powers granted to them by the University or the municipalities that employs them including, but not limited to, powers of arrest.
Approved September 16, 2004.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw04/sl040348.htm

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
I don't think that was as much about manpower as it was about firepower (particularly non-lethal measures). The UMASS arsenal would make Rambo jealous. Hundreds of thousands of rounds of just about everything under the sun.

Now let's see if the Chief in Amherst uses it or not. :oops:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
How is the Amherst Chief? I've heard good and bad (mostly bad) about the Dept. (Amherst PD)...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chapter 348 of the Acts of 2004

AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE POLICE POWERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AT AMHERST.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Section 1 of chapter 269 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition, is hereby amended by adding the following sentence:- For the purposes of this section, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst shall be considered to be a town.
Myself, I believe that all of the state owned colleges in Massachusetts, both two year and four year should have been included in this bill.

HEY, YO...AFSCME! You seeing what's going on here? Think you might be able to do something in a positive manner about expanding this law to include other state college and community colleges?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Not a chance and I'll tell you why...........................................

First UMass Amherst has as good or better resources than some of the surrounding towns. It is arguably, the PREMIER Campus Police agency in Massachusetts.

Secondly, notice that this legislation ONLY is relative to UMass Amherst, not Boston, Lowell, Dartmouth, etc.

Third, MPA/SPAM/whoever would probably fight tooth and nail.

Lastly, there are still some state schools that don't even have police, so it would not even apply universally throughout the system.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Going up in Amherst I was always told (by friends who worked for APD) that UMass PD and Amherts College PD had police powers in Amherst, not limited just to their property. Not sure if that is true or not.

·
Registered
689 Posts
tellyour;
Amherst PD is a good dept. Real hard to get into, real political, and as you can imagine kind of a different breed due to the community they have to deal with. Overall, all of the APD officers I've known or worked with are very professional, and just plain good folks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sarge439
I see you are from Chicopee. I am as well. What are your thoughts on their Dept.? It seems like it is pretty tough to get on the force there. Sorry for getting off topic here...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I've had the opportunity to work with the UMASS Amherst people, in fact I just executed a search warrant with them. They are very professional. What ever 'urination contest' is initiated by this legislation, here is the reality: MSP Troop B/Amherst PD/UMASS all work very well together. This is necessary as a lot of nonsense perpetrated by the rudents spills out into Amherst, and it sometimes requires a large number of cops to 'adjust' (even the stuff that remains on-campus).

One thing that is neat about that campus is that the rudents are not mollycoddled as they are at many other institutions (you cpo's know what I'm talking about :D ). You mess-up, you get locked-up. period. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.