Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jessica Bock

O'Fallon, MO - Jenenne Marie Meadows got to make one call to her kids to say goodbye before her ex-boyfriend shot and killed her Friday night at the medical building where she worked.

The 47-year-old lab technician from St. Peters was inside the St. John's Mercy Urgent Care center off Highway K in O'Fallon when the 45-year-old man calmly walked in with a handgun about 4:30 p.m. and told people inside to leave or move to another area of the building, police said.

The gunman went to the second floor of the building, confronted Meadows and took her hostage inside one of the rooms. At some point, police were told by a family friend, he allowed Meadows to call her children.

About an hour and a half after she was taken hostage, Meadows broke free from the man and unlocked the door. That's when he shot her. SWAT team members outside the door then shot him.
That's a very last option. Obviously, it's a tough day for both the families. It's a tough day for us," MetroWest SWAT team Capt. Dave Todd said. The team and O'Fallon police officers were never able to make contact with the man. Negotiators also were on the scene.

"We had both of their cell phone numbers and the office phone, but he would not talk with us whatsoever," Todd said.

Authorities said a doctor and medics on the SWAT team immediately began treating Meadows and the gunman, who were later pronounced dead at an area hospital.

It is the first time the St. Charles County SWAT team, which became part of the MetroWest team five years ago, has had to shoot and kill a person in about 30 years, Todd said.

Most of the patients and workers in the building got out, but a few were hiding in a room on the second floor of the building during the incident.

Medical workers standing outside the building in the rain Friday night declined to talk to a reporter as they waited for word about what had happened. One employee who declined to give her name said she was working on the first floor with patients when they were instructed to follow lockdown procedures. They moved patients to a secure area and later left the building.

"Everybody remained very calm, actually," she said as she stood outside waiting to see whether she could get her things, which were still inside.

The flashing lights of several squad cars in front of the urgent care center was a stark contrast to the building next door, which houses a pizza restaurant and Chinese buffet packed with families out to eat on Friday night. Several stopped and stood in the rain to watch police at the scene.

"You usually don't see this out here," said Fred Miller, who was taking his two children to eat Chinese food.

On Friday night, authorities said they were not aware of any history of domestic violence between Meadows and the man. Police did not release his name.

Court records show Meadows is divorced and the mother of three adult sons.

A hospital spokeswoman declined to give information about the shootings but issued a brief statement: "All of us are saddened by the events this evening. We are trying to confirm identities: however, we are unable to release information pending family notification. We continue to work with the police in their investigation."
1 - 1 of 1 Posts