Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. - A pair of twins who tried to dupe a judge in a larceny case have doubled the trouble they now face. Yamahile Ortiz pleaded guilty to using a stolen credit card and was sentenced by New Britain Superior Court Judge Patrick J. Clifford to probation.

Soon after, the public defender came before Clifford with both Yamahile and her twin sister Yaricza, both 18.
Yamahile had a simple explanation why her sister stood in for her. "I had a final today," she said.

Clifford called the action a "fraud on the court," The Hartford Courant reported Saturday, quoting a court transcript of the hearing last Tuesday.

"Do you think this is funny? I don't know why you think it's funny," he told the twins.

He withdrew the earlier plea and increased Yamahile Ortiz's bail to $50,000.

When Yaricza, using an obscenity, complained to her sister about helping raise money for the bail, Clifford raised Yamahile's bail to $250,000 and ordered her taken into custody.

He directed the state's attorney's office to review the transcript of Yaricza's appearance to determine if she had violated any laws while posing as her sister.

Yaricza Ortiz is on probation and her actions could land her back in jail, Clifford said.

Yamahile Ortiz is scheduled back in court on Monday.

"I mean, when I put you on probation and expect you to be potentially rehabilitated, that certainly is not the first step toward that," Clifford told her.

Police accused the Ortiz sisters and a friend, Jessica Jankowski, of charging more than $1,000 on a stolen credit card in February. Jankowski took the card from a purse she found at a restaurant, authorities say.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.