TV's 'People Are Funny' Host Art Linkletter Dies | MassCops

TV's 'People Are Funny' Host Art Linkletter Dies

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by kwflatbed, May 26, 2010.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Art Linkletter (File Image)
    AP

Art Linkletter, who hosted the popular TV shows "People Are Funny" and "House Party" in the 1950s and 1960s, has died. He was 97.

His son-in-law Art Hershey says Linkletter died Wednesday at his home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles.

"Art Linkletter's House Party," one of television's longest-running variety shows, debuted on radio in 1944 and was seen on CBS-TV from 1952 to 1969.

Though it had many features, the best known was the daily interviews with schoolchildren.

"On `House Party' I would talk to you and bring out the fact that you had been letting your boss beat you at golf over a period of months as part of your campaign to get a raise," Linkletter wrote.

"All the while, without your knowledge, your boss would be sitting a few feet away listening, and at the appropriate moment, I would bring you together," he said. "Now, that's funny, because the laugh arises out of a real situation."

TV's 'People Are Funny' Host Art Linkletter Dies - wbztv.com

2. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

Art Linkletter, dead at the untimely age of 97.

Tragic! Who saw that one coming?

3. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

What's even more tragic is that I remember watching his show as a kid!

4. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

Same here! And he was still old back then...

RIP Art

5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Good point. But then again, anyone older than 30 seemed "wicked old" to us at that stage of our lives.

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Hell, I didn't know he was still alive!

Another guy who faced tragedy in his life yet kept on keeping on. RIP Art, you had a talent for getting things out of kids.

I mean that in a good way.