Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or do the cops on the show Ham it up for the camera. Me and some of the good old boys were watching and we noticed in most cities there could be for example a domestic dispute or something else, not minor but not too major, and about 5-7 cruisers, k-9s and helicopters flying over the area will show up, lights and siren blaring. I can understand major situations (chases, Robbery or shootings and stabbings) with this much coverage but even they should know its overkill when they show about 4-5 officers running around trying to look busy for the camera. Or sometimes they just stand around and talk to the camera .Now not against backing each other up but in my area thats a 2 man job, not 6-7. Do any body else think they are just being camera hungry? Or maybe trying to show that they dont take no $hit from nobody ? And why does the administration let it ride ? Have any of you guys been on the show or have it been to your city and maybe the big shots tell you to do it ? Sorry for all the questions but i was just wondering. And yeah i exagerated a little,

Well maybe alot but am i the only one that sees this ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, in my opinion, I think you're right, I did notice how 5 cruisers come to a domestic dispute....little overkill. But then again, if the camera focused on one Officer it would be kinda boring. It's safe to say some Officers get show-biz hungry.

an episode of COPS was filmed in Lynn, right next to me on RT 107 Marsh Road, suspect holding knife and threatening, they ended up shooting him in the foot or something like that. Saugus officers aren't young, we have lots of 10-12yr Officers. Couple new guys however.

·
2,297 Posts
MelroseAUX said:
Well, in my opinion, I think you're right, I did notice how 5 cruisers come to a domestic dispute....little overkill. But then again, if the camera focused on one Officer it would be kinda boring. It's safe to say some Officers get show-biz hungry.

an episode of COPS was filmed in Lynn, right next to me on RT 107 Marsh Road, suspect holding knife and threatening, they ended up shooting him in the foot or something like that. Saugus officers aren't young, we have lots of 10-12yr Officers. Couple new guys however.
Yes, that's the one where the Trooper pulled his cruiser in front of him to cut him off. I think he got popped in the stomach, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember that one also- Lynn ploice were just following him swatting with there asp's and the trooper pulled in front of him

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
They haven't shot any episodes of Cops in this area for some time now. The old episodes are the best, where you see police officers just doing their jobs. The newer episodes are ridiculous... the featured departments certainly do set up special stings and really ham it up for the cameras, I guess they feel every day patrol is just not exciting enough for the American public. One of the more recent episodes involved a drug sting. The officers I thought were unnecessarily rough with the suspects, tackling them to the ground when it was not really called for. Another episode (a department in Florida, I forget which one) had an officer dressed up as a clown to catch prostitutes. Yeah, that happens everyday! :roll:

·
Registered
561 Posts
COCO!!!!!!

That episode is on all the time... I think it was Tampa PD, with the clown playing pranks on the hookers and telling them he wanted them to give him a birthday present in his minivan.

They need to stay out of Hicksville, USA and do some more Northeast cities! My guess is that a lot of departments stay clear to keep liability down, in case some overzealous newbie goes overboard and the bad guy has an easy lawsuit.

Pierce County, WA is on all the time, but most of those episodes are not bad. Florida and the Carolinas are getting stale.

-Mike

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
And Court TV can lay off the reruns of Dallas and Fort Worth! Those are like the only episodes they air!

Oh yeah, another attribute typical of COPS... shirtless white trash. How come they never wear a shirt?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG you guys are killing me missing all but one tooth...........Shirt less white trash.......................CLASSIC

·
Registered
181 Posts
Even my daughter knows that when a person appears on the TV screen and he is shirtless, he will soon be in custody.

Anybody seen Reno 911? It misses occasionaly, but I usually end up laughing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
David Spade had a good routine on COPS, it went something like:

Typical COPS call, cop walks into house haze of smoke in the room, finds guy sitting on couch wearing only boxers, sporting a "wife beater", and one sock, half burnt cig, fuzz on TV, NOT surprised there's a cop in the room...

I prefer LAPD life on the street, when I can find it, quality tactics and no show boating..

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
is LAPD still on? Good show!

On the cops topic, I can imagine the other cruisers hearing a call go to the unit that they all know has the camera crew. No surprise, they all happen to be in the area and go back em up! Hell I'd do the same thing if it meant I had a story to tell the grand kids later on. Notice next time they do a stop and M/V search...5, 6 cruisers will either stop or drive by to make sure everythings cool!
The Washington Counties episodes are the best, I'm getting a little sick of the standard chase through the residential streets of Albequrque NM.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I swear I think COPS films in the south because of 2 reasons:

1. No disrespect, but most police in the south have less training, and their mistakes lead to fights, chases and the other things that TV audiences love. I mean not that I never make any mistakes, but watching an episode of COPS in Arkansas is like watching a training film on bad patrol procedures. I cringe in horror every episode I see a cop pull a guy out and say "We're arresting you for a murder warrant out of Little Rock." Why are you telling him before the cuffs are on? Or before he has turned off the car? Or when a cop sees a crack pipe on the table in the house and says "What's that? A crack pipe?" How about snooping around to see if there's anything more before the wife swallows the crack she has in her robe pocket? Patrol is like a game of poker; always keep your cards close.
2. Police in the south have a LOT more latitude to what they can arrest on and apparently when they can use force. I have seen many episodes where some mope is arrested for giving a cop lip. What's the charge? Insulting a police officer? That definitely wouldn't fly in Mass. Also, as Dunngeon pointed out, they seem to kick the sh*t out of people for nothing. A drunk driver questions why he being arrested and the next thing you know he's being pepper-sprayed, asp-ed and pounded. Not quite the use of force spectrum we use up here.

I suppose there could be more reasons as well; it is cold here for a good chunk of the year and it generally leads to a slowing down of street crime. Also, as previously mentioned, departments in the NE might be a bit more concerned about young officers showboating for the cameras and liability.

·
Registered
157 Posts
COPS

I love watching Cops, but I miss "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol", it used to be on late night on channel 38. Does anyone else remember this show, they were always riding with the MSP. There was one Trooper that they were always with in "The City of Champions", aka: Brockton that was a riot, he always had a pretty sharp wit/comments for the bad guys.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Add this to the local notes on COPS...

They rode with Lowell PD for a few weeks during one summer ('96' I believe) but most of the footage never made the air. The City Council voted to press the producers not to air the footage because it made Lowell "look bad." At the time, Lowell was in the national spotlight for their community policing efforts under Chief Davis and airing the real-life police situations that the city endured would reflect badly upon the Mill City.

COPS did air a couple segments on the city and 'dedicated' the episode to a group of LPD members, and a member of the North Reading PD, who were killed in a plane crash in Canada. I do recall that the city did not endorse the episode, which was dedicated to the 4 members lost in the crash. The closing credits mention the victims of the crash.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.