TSA air security Officer | MassCops

TSA air security Officer

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by jndaniel, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jndaniel

jndaniel New Member

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

While looking at that link, I came across this foolishness;

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/self_defense_cmsd_programs.shtm

How about allowing volunteer pilots/co-pilots to carry firearms in the cockpit after proper training? If I were Mohammed Atta Part II, I would think twice about kicking open a cockpit door if I knew a 12-gauge shotgun was waiting on the other side.

3. jndaniel

jndaniel New Member

The commercial pilots are already allowed to carry no more than a six shooter (I believe) and they get training at FLETC in Artesia, NM. I have flown on a few trips where the pilot also said he was armed. However, they have to pay FLETC for their own training. I think it's a one or two week course.

4. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Damn straight Delta.

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Although rapid cabin depressurization from a bullet hole is a myth, I'm surprised that TSA would allow a high-velocity round from a revolver and not something like a shotgun with buckshot, which loses velocity quickly after the close ranges which pilots would most likely encounter.

6. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Just like the old P/U Truck,a gun rack mounted in the cabin.

7. Simon

Simon Guest

I'm sure they are more worried about hydro lines and electronics in the cabin more than anything else..........

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That's why you shoot OUT......:cool:

9. MPD703

MPD703 Subscribing Member

I was talking to one of the commerical pilots. The are issued a .40 (H&K I think) and are now supposed to get badges. Dont know why since they are not law enforcement and only allowed to carry the weapon in the cockpit but what do I know.

10. jndaniel

jndaniel New Member

I probably depends on what airline you work for that determines if they want to provide a weapon. I was at FLETC in Artesia when they trained the first group of pilots for this program. At that time all they could shoot was wheel guns but things could of changed.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm reminded of a quote from Evan Marshall concerning bullet holes in airplane cabins; use the fingers of the dead terrorists to plug them until landing. :mrgreen:

12. RCS

RCS MassCops Member

Tasers would be pretty effective on a flight, there less risk than a stray bullet, but enough to immobilize anyone who is deemed a threat.

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I believe those have been standard issue since 9/11. Before that, flight attendants used passenger's neckties to secure unruly people.

14. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

My understanding was the pilot's union was against pilot's flying armed. However that was shortly after 9/11. Maybe they have changed their view.

15. JoninNH

JoninNH New Member

oh yeah... the union wants them armed, they want BADGES to go with the FFDO credentials, and they want more authority. They only have authority on the flight deck... they want the same authority as the Air Marshals.

16. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Ahh doofus!
    They're talking about ASO's on FBO flights into Ronald Regan in D.C. NOT commercial airlines or FFDO (pilots) you silly goat.

Please go back to multi-jurisdictional meter-maid busts and guarding coins!
    :FM:

17. MtBiker

MtBiker MassCops Member

18. jndaniel

jndaniel New Member

Thank you always MPD61 for your educational comments. I was responding to MPD703's response. I know the difference. Some others were confused on the issue. On another note I don't protect coins!!

19. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Sorry,

I was being rather cynical, critical, and subjective in regards to your reply.
    Please accept my apology.
    :(
    On another note; you're still pretty twisted up in your portrayal of Federal Reserve as Police and certain other agenies acting beyond their scope and jurisdiction.:cool:

20. jndaniel

jndaniel New Member

There is lots of misconception about many agencies that were true and still true for some of them. I was skeptical with the FRB at first around 2003 when they came to our agency when they first got 0083 status to qualify with their new Smith&Wessons. I see them as how Veterans Affairs Police were for so long. VA Police never carried weapons, not only they carry their Beretta's but they now have decent authority. FRB was obviously like that a few years ago but are slowly turning like the VA did. One thing I was stunned about was a couple weeks ago when a FAM I know told me that FRB Police are authorized on the TSA list to fly armed as federal officers. I didn't see that one.