1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trooper hurt - Jan 10, 2006

Trooper seriously hurt in crash that closes I-495

By Andrew Ryan, Globe Correspondent
A state trooper was flown to the hospital with serious injuries this afternoon when his police cruiser was in accident on southbound Interstate 495 involving a tractor-trailer and highway truck, police said.
It was not immediately clear if the other two drivers were injured, said Trooper Thomas Ryan, a state police spokesman.
The crash at about 1:45 just north of Exit 4 in Middleborough closed the interstate in both directions, Ryan said. The northbound lanes opened at about 2:30 p.m.
"Southbound will be closed for quite a while," Ryan said.
The trooper, whose name was not released, was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk at 02:31 PM

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Channel 7 says truck driver was distracted as he was "changing the radio station at the time."

G

·
MIDDLEBOROUGH, Mass. -- A Massachusetts State Police trooper was seriously injured Wednesday in a crash on Interstate 495 south in Middleborough.
The crash occurred at about 1:40 p.m. Wednesday in the southbound lanes of 495 just north of Exit 4, officials said. The southbound lanes of the highway were closed while a helicopter was at the scene.

"Preliminary information indicted that a state police cruiser with a trooper inside was struck by a tractor-trailer and, in turn, struck a MassHighway vehicle in a construction zone," Massachusetts State Police Lt. Eric Anderson said.

The trooper was airlifted to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston where he is in serious condition, Anderson said.
A MassHighway worker in the truck was also injured and transported to a local hospital.
State police accident reconstruction teams and photographers were called to the scene to investigate the crash.

Inspector said:
Channel 7 says truck driver was distracted as he was "changing the radio station at the time."
watching this too.............. JESUS CHRIST !!!!

Thank god they had a crash truck setup behind the cruiser..................

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
best wishes for a speedy recovery to the trooper.

who does the EMS out there?
props to everyone working the call, especially medflight

·
Subscribing Member
498 Posts
rocksy1826 said:
best wishes for a speedy recovery to the trooper.

who does the EMS out there?
props to everyone working the call, especially medflight
Pretty sure it's Middleboro FD/BLS and AMR for ALS. BMF out of Plymouth Airport. Word is he will be OK.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
All due respect Sniper but this thread is about a young Trooper who is seriously injured, please don't turn it into a Landshark bash. Hope the Trooper will be ok!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I was discussing an invest with a BIS kid this afternoon...he asked me about it...there was nothing in the database then (1530-1600)...will advise...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn... hope he is ok

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here's something that blew my mind...

I'm working lock-up today and one of the probation officers comes in and tells me Trooper (name omitted) was med flighted to the hospital after being hit by a car. I worked with the trooper (indirectly) at my DYS job for about 8 years!

My father calls me at a little before 6 pm and says, "put on the news, one of our drivers (he's a truck driver) was involved in a bad accident on 495 with a State Trooper".

WTF???

As of the 6 pm news story, there was no news on the troopers condition...they say no news is good news...I hope they're right.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
State Police Trooper Injured in I-495 Crash

A state police trooper was seriously injured in a crash Wednesday afternoon on Interstate 495 in Middleboro. The accident involving a cruiser, a tractor-trailer and a MassHighway truck happened shortly before 2 p.m. The trooper was medflighted to Beth Israel Hospital. FOX25's Dan Jaehnig has the story.

State Police Trooper Injured in I-495 Crash
http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=2021752&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

State Trooper Injured In Crash

I-495 Closed In Middleborough After Crash

MIDDLEBOROUGH, Mass. -- A Massachusetts State Police trooper was seriously injured Wednesday in a crash on Interstate 495 south in Middleborough.

The crash occurred at about 1:40 p.m. Wednesday in the southbound lanes of I-495 just north of exit 4, officials said. Both directions of I-495 were closed while a helicopter was at the scene.

"Preliminary information indicted that a state police cruiser with a trooper inside was struck by a tractor-trailer and, in turn, struck a MassHighway vehicle in a construction zone," Massachusetts State Police Lt. Eric Anderson said.

Trooper Michael Fitzgerald was airlifted to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston where he is in serious condition. The driver of the MassHighway truck, Kevin Sullivan, 59, of Carver, was also injured and transported to a local hospital. The driver of the tractor-trailer truck, Duane Sylvia, 43, of Middleborough, suffered minor injuries in the crash.

"(Sullivan) witnessed, saw, a tractor-trailer approaching at a rate of speed in the right travel lane and believed that the vehicle was not going to stop before striking the rear of his vehicle. He positioned his truck in a manner so that he would take the impact with the crashed truck and turned his wheels to the right. That tractor-trailer did, in fact, crash into the crashed truck," said Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Robert Bousquet.

The MassHighway truck rolled down an embankment and rolled over before coming to rest on its passenger side. The tractor-trailer then crashed directly into the rear of the state police cruiser, Bousquet said.

State police accident reconstruction teams and photographers were called to the scene to investigate the crash.

"If that crashed truck did not do what he did, the actions that he took, this could have been much worse of an accident," Bousquet said.

State police said the police cruiser and the MassHighway truck had all emergency lights on at the time of the crash. Sylvia was ordered to undergo a drug and alcohol test.

Copyright 2007 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
MassCops Member
80 Posts
best wishes to the trooper for a speedy and full recovery. my thoughts and prayers are with the trooper, his family, and fellow troopers.

G

·
lofu said:
All due respect Sniper but this thread is about a young Trooper who is seriously injured, please don't turn it into a Landshark bash. Hope the Trooper will be ok!
RECEIVED lofu.........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.