Troop Class Cancelled | MassCops

Troop Class Cancelled

Discussion in 'State Police' started by rdmj72, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdmj72

rdmj72 MassCops Member

:wm:

Home > News & Opinion > Local / Regional News > RSS Feed

Troubled trooper academy postpones upcoming class
    By Michele McPhee
    Friday, January 27, 2006 - Updated:
    12:56 AM EST

A State Police Academy class slated to begin next month has been temporarily postponed, not long after a four-month probe into hazing allegations uncovered that seven instructors at the New Braintree facility may have abused some 40 recruits, the Herald has learned.

A class of 140 troopers was slated to begin training at the academy on Feb. 6. But that class has been postponed until the spring, said Lt. Sharon Costine, state police spokeswoman. Costine insisted the delay was not the result of the probe into the hazing allegations, first reported in the Herald last year. After the reports, Col. Tom Robbins ordered transfers of the commandant and two instructors while appointing a panel to overhaul police academy practices.

“One has absolutely nothing to do with the other,” Costine said. “The application process of potential recruits is still ongoing.”

But a source familiar with the completed probe said a total of 42 recruits from last year’s class complained of harassment or unprofessional conduct at the facility and seven instructors were fingered.

Reports of abuse included instructors forcing recruits’ heads into toilets and refusing to let them bathe. Another recruit dropped out of the academy after he was ordered to wear another man’s soiled underwear on his head, a demand he refused. Others left after they were forced to drink gallons of water before running.

Those allegations were among the complaints vetted by the State Police Internal Affairs Unit, which finished its probe this month, Costine said. She refused to discuss the Internal Affairs Unit’s findings.

“It is our practice we do not comment on specific information involving personnel investigations,” she said. “The investigation has been completed and turned in to the commanding officer of the Division of Standards and Training for review. They will make the determination as to whether of not disciplinary action is warranted.”

The three instructors already transferred from the academy continue to work in other sections of the state police, Costine said.

Lt. Richard Lane is currently assigned to the Air Wing Section after his transfer on Oct. 20. Trooper Erik Baldwin is assigned to the Sturbridge barracks, while Trooper Paul Weinshchenk is assigned to the Grafton barracks.

2. SPD3

SPD3 MassCops Member

Um, is there any reason why you used the word cancel in this thread's title when the article clearly indicates it was delayed? The start date of most recruit training troops changes over time, some more than once.

3. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

There is a brass meeting next weed at the SPA to set a definite date for the 79th. Just keep running.

4. Simon

Simon Guest

Thank you Sir........

5. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

This is just the Herald trying to make news out of nothing. Almost every class gets delayed. Many SPA prospects on this board know first hand why there is a delay. If the Herald could blame the next nor'easter on the troubles at the SPA, it would. The paper is desparate for money and readers.

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

El Nino caused the class to be delayed... :woot:

7. MallPolice

MallPolice MassCops Member

Regardless of the delay, if your like me (who want's to get on the job so bad), are you gonna quit because someone makes you wear soiled underwear on your head? I'm not saying I'm a PT guru who could pass the SPA academy without a problem, I'd just like a shot that these people got that I couldn't. What a shame, you mean to tell me that these people gave up a potential $100,000 career because their principles would be violated? What a joke! Ya! I could a been a Navy Seal, but I didn't like the scuba program

8. Tango

Tango Subscribing Member

:2up: :2up: :2up: Herald!!!!

9. lawdog671

lawdog671 MassCops Member

If anyone knows of a suitable way to hang the Herald from my toilet paper dispenser, please let me know. Only thing that rag is good for is to wipe my ass with it. I don't suppose the delay could have been because of a delay in background invests huh? Unreal.

10. rdmj72

rdmj72 MassCops Member

Sorry, I already submitted the article by the time I realized my mistake. :oops:

11. PMAC7272

PMAC7272 New Member

I'd take a couple of dunks in the toilet and wear undies too!! If you want it bad enough right? Unfortunately those people that cry about it waste time and money and didn't want to be there in the first place. However, there a people that are dying to be a Mass. Trooper at all costs and don't get the chance b/c these people are tying up the system. It's a shame.

12. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

You're so cool.:roll:

13. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Two fellas I know that are in it (or will be) hear its going to start end of April/May from credible source within MSP Academy

14. tarc

tarc New Member

I don't understand you guys that say you would be willing to wear somebodies dirty underwear on your head or get your head placed in a toilet (dirty or not), because you "want it bad enough." You guys must have no self esteem or any self respect. There is no job in this world that I would wear somebodies sweaty, shitty, underwear on my head, and say I was proud to do it. You guys need to get a reality check.

15. Cadet101

Cadet101 MassCops Member

What a joke this has become. I seriously doubt that 42 recruits were allegedly abused during the 78RTT. You might have your isolated incident involving one or two guys but 42 is ridiculous to say the least. Since this has came about many recruits that dropped out are looking at this as a way back in. I hope that they do not reinstate 42 dropouts because they thought the training was abusive. What it really comes down to is that 90% of those dropouts where due to not physically or mentally preparing themselves for an academy as tough as the SPA.

Im a 95er and have since been put on hold hopefully waiting to get a shot at the 80RTT if there is one. Phoenix PD might grab me first since I am in the process with them because I really want a career in LE. MSP already got a bunch of 95's ready; so much that I put PPD on hold because I was hoping I would be able to get on in my home state. I look at it this way, MA is only 1 state. Don't put all your hopes into 1 agency or state, there are 49 other states out there and most are hiring for LE.

Good Luck to those that should be in the 79RTT!!!!

16. badgebunny

badgebunny "Tinkerbell"

Agreed 100%! There are those who do "want it bad enough" that are willing to do "anything", but they don't sacrifice their self respect!

17. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Let's not start this conversation again. Hazing at the SPA has already been beaten to death, shot, stabbed, hung, poisoned, and dismembered. Then pee'd on.

Talking about hazing again will make me go :crazy: ...

Let's just hope the 79th happens sometime in the next few months, the 95's get into the 80th, and there is another test this year without any delay. I know, wishful thinking, but as a 95, that's pretty much all I have.

18. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Why would you wipe your ass with something already covered in crap?:lol:

19. mechanic

mechanic MassCops Member

I would stick my head in the toilet to be on the job, what a great way to cool down after a 5 mile run.The underwear would keep the sun off my bald head!!!!:HS:

20. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

I wouldn't bother. I tried it once and the ink is so cheap I had comics on my ass for a week.

21. nirtallica

nirtallica Subscribing Member

:L: :L: :L: :L: :L:

22. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

If the 79th started on time, it would be the first RTT in recent history to start on time.

23. lawdog671

I suppose its better than getting dunked with swirlies and wearing undies on my head. 8-[ Only way my head goes in a toilet is Im unconscious or dead. Not sure if I wanna work with someone that willing to get walked on just to get on. No offense to those in the process, but come on, have some pride. I know youre motivated but you should never allow that.

24. Mitpo62

Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

Not to drop a bomb, but a buddy of mine said he heard that the start date for the 79th will be Monday, March 27th. Anyone else heard the same? :ermm:

25. lawdog671

That bomb would be untrue....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.